Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pahrump NV Considers New Controversial Proposal

Denise Saunders, Anchor
    Pahrump Considers New Controversial Proposal
    http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=5789177
    Dec 8, 2006

Another controversial ordinance is making headlines in the Nye County town of Pahrump.

A couple a weeks ago the town passed an English-only ordinance making English Pahrump's official language. Now this week, the "Undocumented Foreign National Registration Ordinance" was proposed.

If passed, the proposal would attempt to force illegal immigrants to register with the town. And they would have to pay a fee to do so.

Romero's is a popular Mexican food restaurant in Pahrump. But now it's not the food that's getting the most attention, it's the owner, George Romero.

"A lot people have called me and told me they are completely against this," Romero said.

The Undocumented Foreign National Registration Ordinance requires undocumented immigrants to register within 24 hours of coming to Pahrump.

Romero continued, "What are they going to do, stop every Hispanic-looking person and try to make sure they are documented and registered with Pahrump?"

He strongly disagrees with the newly proposed ordinance, and so do some of his customers, like Edward Foley.

Foley believes it's a form of racism. "I think it's just awful. I think less government is better government. And invasion of people's privacy and government keeping track of people to me is anathematic to the American way."

The ordinance not only requires undocumented immigrants to register; they also have to pay $200 to do so. Otherwise, they will be penalized.

The first offense is $500. The second is $5,000. And the third is deportation.

The man behind the ordinance says illegal immigrants are affecting the job market.

Nick Nicholson agrees with the proposal. "To keep track, because if they are not registered and they are not citizens and they don't have the proper paper work, then they are here using the system and costing us money."

There are others who agree with Nicholson.

Again, if the ordinance is passed, the penalty of not registering involves a fine and jail time.

Pahrump's town manager and the American Civil Liberties Union both say the new proposal would likely face constitutional challenges if passed.

The Pahrump town council is scheduled to discuss the ordinance on Tuesday, Dec. 12
    By damaging us, you damage yourselves!

http://www.siliconeer.com/past_issues/2 ... form_1.jpg

Romero continued, "What are they going to do, stop every Hispanic-looking person and try to make sure they are documented and registered with Pahrump?"
    This attitude right here is part of the problem. Do Hispanics like Romero just refuse to turn in Hispanics that are illegal aliens? Why isn't Romero willing to turn in illegal aliens? Does Romero believe that only Hispanics are illegal aliens? You can't have it both ways Romero. Either the laws apply to everyone, including Hispanics or it a worthless law. What is it that Romero is upset about? Is it the law or that all immigrants will be held accountable for their trespass? However, Romero has made it about Hispanics, not the law, not the offense, not the restrictions or the punishment. He's grasping at straws, with his argument and he really wants it to be about racial discrimination and not law and order. In my opinion, this fellow is not color blind, but color defined. In America that is self defeating and limiting.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am so not sure of this one!

HOW are they going to get ILLEGAL's to reg with the town? I have NO clue either, run door to door and ask for documents?
    Now I live here and I am not sure just how they are going to do it. The sheriff already made public written statements that he would NOT be enforcing the other laws, I dont know how else they plan to get this one to work, honestly.
    Sure, they can pass it as a law, then sit back and wait... and wait... and wait...
    If someone is here ILLEGALLY, what is making them pay a 200 reg fee good for? Permission to STAY here illegally? If they are illegal, SEND THEM BACK PERIOD!
    And since illegal aliens come in all flavors, they would have to check the documents of EVERYONE that lives here...
    there are over 30,000 here....

vix