Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Palomas police chief flees border town; asks for political a

Palomas police chief flees border town; asks for political asylum
    By Kevin Buey/For the Sun-News
    Article Launched: 03/21/2008 12:00:00 AM MDT

DEMING β€” The embattled city of Palomas, Mexico, is now literally lawless.

The Luna County Sheriff's Office and U.S. Border Patrol reported Thursday that the Palomas Chief of Police came to the Columbus Port of Entry late Tuesday night, requesting political asylum.

The chief, identified by the LCSO as Emilio Perez, reportedly told Immigration and Customs Enforcement his department's only two officers had fled and he had no idea where they are.

Recent violence in Palomas includes the armed robbery last Sunday of a dentist's office while Columbus Mayor Eddie Espinoza was undergoing a root canal, and several shootings and deaths. The LCSO said a source in Palomas identified two more victims of shootings last weekend as Sergio Perez Gonzales, 55, and Rigoberto Munoz Acosta, 21. Those would be the third and fourth deaths in recent weeks attributed to what U.S. authorities say is a battle between drug cartels for control of the area's drug trade.

"This highlights the concern we all have for the escalation of violence in our sister city of Palomas," Rick Moody, agent-in-charge of the Deming USBP Station, said of the latest deaths and Perez' request for asylum.

The escalating violence "just shows the length criminal groups will go to in the ongoing fight to try to control their trade," moody said. "I think this is related to an ongoing fight between two organizations. As long as it goes unchecked, it will continue."

U.S. officials were assured last week Mexican military troops were being dispatched to the area to help control the situation.

"There was an initial response, to our knowledge, by the government of Mexico, but I don't believe they have responded fully, yet," Moody said.

He said this is not the first time Palomas police officers have requested asylum. He recalled a case about four years ago when the city's officers also came to the port.

Requests for asylum are reviewed on various criteria, Moody said, including fear for one's life. Requests are reviewed by an immigration judge. Results are usually not announced.

Moody said Perez was in protection of ICE agents.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_8645767
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

With my police experience that I have been trained for, man, I wish I were there on that border.!!!

Mexican police chief requests US asylum

March 21, 2008, 6:26PM
    Mexican police chief requests US asylum

By MARK EVANS Associated Press Writer
    Β© 2008 The Associated Press
    Comments (1) Recommend
    ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. β€” The police chief of a Mexican border town racked by smuggling-related violence fled to the U.S. seeking asylum after his deputies abandoned him, federal officials said Friday.

Emilio Perez, the chief of Palomas, Mexico, showed up at the international port of entry in Columbus, N.M., late Tuesday, saying his two deputies had left the department and that he now needed protection, too, according to Doug Mosier, a U.S. Border Patrol spokesman in El Paso.

Perez was taken in and was believed to be in custody of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement on Friday, according to Mosier. Letitia Zamarripa, an ICE spokeswoman, declined to comment on the case, citing privacy issues.

"This is a little off the beaten path, I haven't seen this before," Mosier said. "(But) with the escalating violence in Palomas, we understand why this individual sought asylum."

Perez's village, just south of the border with New Mexico, was once a relatively quiet town. But violence has increased in the last few years, as it has elsewhere along the U.S.-Mexico border, and appears to have spiked of late.

On Thursday, the bodies of two people were found wrapped in blankets and dumped along a road near Palomas, and several other people were seen taken hostage over the past few days by heavily armed men, the newspaper El Diario of Juarez, Mexico, reported Friday.

Last month, two men were gunned down at a gas station near the international checkpoint, officials said.

The telephone went unanswered Friday at the Mexican consulate in El Paso, Texas, and at federal police headquarters in the state of Chihuahua β€” where Palomas is located.

Palomas has had a spate of drug-related violence as Mexico's ongoing crackdown on powerful cartels fuels turf wars among traffickers. The area also is a common meeting point for migrants heading north.

Mosier also pointed to another recent crime in which the mayor of Columbus visited a dentist in Palomas β€” only to have his root canal interrupted by two pistol-toting men came in demanding money. No one was injured.

"They're getting brazen down there," Mayor Eddie Espinoza later told the Deming Headlight newspaper. "I didn't have no fear about going to Palomas, before. Now, I do."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/ ... 39118.html
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security."
    Benjamin Franklin

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"This highlights the concern we all have for the escalation of violence in our sister city of Palomas," Rick Moody, agent-in-charge of the Deming USBP Station, said of the latest deaths and Perez' request for asylum.
    Ok, I have a question. Ahh couldn't Perez have headed south as in to another state in his own country to escape the violence. Why is his only option to head north and ask for political asylum in our country?

And Bush wants to give this country 1.5 billion dollars to fight the drug violence in that country. May as well flush that money down the commode.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)