Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Park employee finds increasing demand for hunter safety.....

I saw this article and it made me wonder if illegal immigrants can legally own a gun in the United States. Also can they legally purchase a hunting license? Unfortunately the article didn't discuss that topic.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/13092145.htm

Posted on Sun, Nov. 06, 2005

IN ANY LANGUAGE

One Wildlife and Parks employee has found an ever-increasing demand for hunter safety instruction in Spanish.

BY MICHAEL PEARCE

The Wichita Eagle

DODGE CITY - While the rest of the class waited and watched, hunter education instructor Manuel Torres carefully showed a student the proper way to mount a shotgun.

As he talked of muzzle control, the gun's safety and of not touching the trigger until time to fire, Torres spoke Spanish, student Bernabe Gonzales' only language.

Later that afternoon Gonzales and 60 others who spoke little English were awarded hunter education cards.

Torres received an ovation from the class for his efforts, but was more excited several students volunteered to become Spanish-speaking instructors.

"I want this thing to become self-sustaining," said Torres, a Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks public lands manager. "I have no doubt the demand is there."

For years Torres, a bilingual southwest Kansas native, has given talks in Spanish. He's always found an eager audience.

Still, many shied from the Kansas outdoors because they didn't know state wildlife laws.

"In Mexico, there are not as many restrictions as up here," said Dagoberto Heredia, one of Torres' students. "Many of these people want to do these things; they're just concerned about doing it the right way. They don't want to get into trouble."

In 2003, Torres taught his first hunter education course in Spanish to six students.

Last year's class had 13 students.

Opening morning of that pheasant season, Torres found 11 of them together at a walk-in hunting area in Gray County.

"They were all carrying new shotguns, and wearing new hunting clothes. One guy had even bought two bird dogs," Torres said. "They called me later that night and said they'd hunted really hard (and) they'd got their limits. That really showed me something."

This year Torres worked with a Spanish-language radio station and newspaper to better publicize his late October class. Hoping for 20 students, he stopped registrations at 65, while fielding close to 100 phone calls.

Students came from as far as Great Bend and Ulysses, about a 140-mile swath of Kansas.

Unlike regular, youth-dominated classes, Torres' was about 80 percent adult males.

"Adult males are the best target I can have. They're buying licenses right away," Torres said. "They'll also be the ones that get the kids out. In the Hispanic community, the male figure is usually the dominant person. If you can get him involved, you'll most likely get the entire family involved."

Since Wildlife and Parks' hunter education materials are in English, Torres carefully lectured in Spanish. He'd already translated the test.

The class did well in all aspects. Of the 65 registered, three didn't come both days. Kansas classes average a 25 percent no-show rate.

Shooting the second day was scheduled to start at 9 a.m., but most arrived by 8:15, despite cold, blustery conditions.

Only one student didn't pass the course.

With few Spanish-speaking instructors, Torres is recruiting those with good bilingual skills from the courses he's taught.

After an application process, and instructional lessons, they'll hopefully assist Torres next year, and teach their own classes, in their own towns, in 2007.

Heredia volunteered. The Great Bend child psychiatrist figures he can use his Spanish skills to help others.

"As soon as word gets out (about the Spanish classes) a lot more people are going to want to take them," he said. "This is a good thing. These people want to learn so badly. It will give them something to do as a family."

Since only about five of the class had ever shot or owned a shotgun, most of the students will be purchasing guns and other equipment.

That helps local businesses, and also nets Kansas a larger share of the federal excise taxes placed on such gear.

That money could lead to more land in the walk-in program.

As well as gas and meals on days they hunt, the new sportsmen will buy hunting licenses.

"All hunters and sportsmen realize the need to recruit more hunters... the need to get more people hunting in Kansas," Torres said. "The people are here who will hunt in Kansas. All we have to do is reach out to them."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Are Game Wardens going have to have a Translator with them. I can see it now, if a Game Warden, tells someone to put there gun down and they don't understand what the Game Warden is saying. A game Warden Has one Dangerous Job, with the Poachers out there.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Just emailed North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and asked about those visiting our country legally and illegally obtaing a hunting license.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    Just emailed North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and asked about those visiting our country legally and illegally obtaing a hunting license.
    What about owning firearms? I wouldn't think an illegal immigrant would legally be able to purchase a gun.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    What about owning firearms? I wouldn't think an illegal immigrant would legally be able to purchase a gun.
    you have to pass a ATF check before you can by a long gun. You have to have a permit to purchase a hand gun from your local sheriff dept. here in NC. I would say those things would be kind of hard to do if you are illegal.
    Thats my snare for NC wildlife, but since you asked.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Still, many shied from the Kansas outdoors because they didn't know state wildlife laws.

"In Mexico, there are not as many restrictions as up here," said Dagoberto Heredia, one of Torres' students. "Many of these people want to do these things; they're just concerned about doing it the right way. They don't want to get into trouble."
    This certainly is not the truth if illegal immigrants can legally hunt and own guns in the United States. I heard Mexico is very strict about bringing guns into their country.