Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Patriots go on patrol at border (Yuma, AZ)

http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/p ... _15972.php

Patriots go on patrol at border
    BY JONATHAN ATHENS
    Apr 12, 2005

A volunteer civilian border patrol group calling themselves the Yuma Patriots conducted their first patrol on Sunday and their leader, Flash Sharrar, said he intends to conduct another patrol this coming weekend.

Federal authorities said they are concerned about the safety of these civilians and said patrols along the U.S.-Mexico border are best left to trained professionals.

Sharrar, 50, of Yuma, who organized the group, said: "We intend to have more patrols. I intend to decrease the border crossings as much as possible."

Two weeks ago, another such volunteer group calling themselves the Minuteman Project began a monthlong initiative in the southeast portion of the Arizona border. Authorities have expressed their concerns about the potential for violence and interference with Border Patrol operations.

Sharrar said he wants the public to know his group is not affiliated with the Minuteman.

"This is for Yuma and made up of Yuma folks," Sharrar said.

A total of 45 people have signed up thus far.

Sharrar said the Yuma Patriots aim to assist Border Patrol agents by calling them on radios or cell phones to report illegal immigrants crossing into the U.S.

Yuma sector Border Patrol spokesman Joe Brigman said: "The border area is a very dangerous place for not only Border Patrol agents but for anyone who is unfamiliar with the border area ... the situation should be left to the trained profession- als."

Sharrar said he hopes the volunteer effort will put a spotlight on the influx of illegal immigration here and get the attention of Arizona legislators.

Sharrar said the volunteer group intends to meet again Wednesday to craft a mission statement which they will present to the Border Patrol seeking their cooperation and approval.

Regarding the Yuma Patriots' efforts, Brigman said: "We're concerned about their safety."

Echoing comments recently made by Yuma Sector Chief Agent Ronald Colburn, Brigman said civilians putting themselves into border areas that are dangerous further complicates the situation.

"(For civilians) to get involved in a law enforcement environment, it complicates the issue," Brigman said.

Although the Yuma Patriots did not see any illegal immigrants cross into the U.S. on the day of their first patrol, Sharrar said volunteers saw six to seven men on the Mexico side of the border who he says were poised to cross, but did not.

Sharrar said he and four members of the group explored the brushy area in the northwest portion of the city near West Main Canal and discovered an airline ticket for a flight running from Mexico City to Mexicali on March 26 and a Colorado Corrections Department identification card belonging to a man who had served time in a Colorado prison.

Sharrar said his group turned those documents over to the Yuma sector Border Patrol.

Sharrar said discovery of those documents, along with numerous trails and what appeared to be bedding down areas in the dense salt cedar brush, was an eye-opener.

"This looks like something you'd see in Vietnam or Indonesia," Sharrar said, adding he is anxious to patrol again and possibly capture on film illegal immigrants crossing into the U.S.

Sharrar said the group also found wet inner tubes and wet clothing in another area they patrolled near the West Main Canal.

Brigman said: "Anyone with any knowledge of the area knows it is common to find numerous types of documentation, numerous articles of clothing and abandoned personal effects in the area."

Brigman said the Border Patrol is researching the identification card and airline ticket but those items are not proof the bearer illegally entered the country, nor is it proof the person who discarded or lost those documents is the card-bearer.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Is that smoke I smell, hmmm.

I certainly hope the fires continue! It is just a small smoldering fire right now, but as more and more people wake up, it could turn into a raging blazing thing.

H.

When are we going to get the MINUTEMEN on the border in San Diego?
    I have just retired as a police officer, and I am appalled at the lack of protection that the US gove rnment is offerring the citizens of this country with respect to illegal immigration on our borders.

I understand that the US Government has put up a 269 million dollar array of survellance tools along the Canadian and Mexican borders. This system was installed by a private contractor, and does not work!

Comments please before I wite my to my US government representaives

Bob
    San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by BPELIO
    I have just retired as a police officer, and I am appalled at the lack of protection that the US gove rnment is offerring the citizens of this country with respect to illegal immigration on our borders.

I understand that the US Government has put up a 269 million dollar array of survellance tools along the Canadian and Mexican borders. This system was installed by a private contractor, and does not work!

Comments please before I wite my to my US government representaives

Bob
    San Diego
    Bob, keep in mind that the main people putting on MMP (I know them VERY well now after working side by side with them for almost 2 weeks) are from S CA. There most likely WILL be a MMP around the Diego area sometime very soon. However, most of the main leadership is still on the ground in AZ right now. There are "events" being planned in CA, TX, NM. However, I do not know if there will be major events like MMP still this year.

H.

PS, Welcome to ALIPAC Bob!!!

BPELIO wrote:

Soon, I hope. Hopefully they will finish that fence soon.
    Maybe with a little current.
    Don't be afraid to write and write, and get some of your friends and neighbors to write also. And spread the word.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

I just retired as a Chief of Police and would be willing to help out with this very worthy cause when you make it down to Southern CA. I also have a private detective business that I would make available.

Bob Pelio
    San Diego, CA