Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Peña raises voice for immigrants

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3873205

Article Launched: 05/28/2006 01:00:00 AM MDT

Peña raises voice for immigrants
    By Elizabeth Aguilera
    Denver Post Staff Writer

Former Denver Mayor Federico Peña speaks at the "We Are America" march May 1. Peña grew up in the border town of Laredo, Texas. (Post / Jack Dempsey)

Federico Peña knows what hope, optimism and desperation look like. He has seen all three in the eyes of immigrants.

Haitian refugees floating on handmade boats trying to reach a new shore. Cubans rescued from the ocean on a quest to get to the United States. Mexicans who crossed, many through miles of desert, to work illegally in kitchens or on lawns, in fields or on construction sites, trying to make a better life for their children.

And German, Irish and Italian immigrants in vivid black-and-white photos at Ellis Island, which he visited for the first time three months ago.

Those interactions and his youth in a border town, where Mexican neighbors crossed each day to work on the American side - and vice versa - gave him a unique view of the nation's most contentious issue.

His childhood as a "border kid," his family's 250-year history in Laredo, Texas, his appreciation for the contributions of immigrants and his experiences as U.S. secretary of transportation - where he oversaw the treatment of Haitian and Cuban refugees - recently met his frustration over the current debate about illegal immigration.

But it wasn't until he looked at the faces of children holding signs, worried about their undocumented parents being deported and their families shattered, and waves of workers and families in the streets taking a public stand against a congressional proposal to make them felons, that his experiences and expertise combined with his passion and sense of duty.

He had finally had enough.

A rousing speech at the "We Are America" march May 1, and his recent move to lead Keep Colorado Safe, a campaign to defeat a proposed state constitutional amendment that would curtail services for undocumented immigrants, have now put the former Denver mayor squarely in the public eye.

He had kept a low profile for years, focusing on his family, privately advising and quietly supporting educational efforts. But the courage of the undocumented immigrants tugged at his Catholic morality and his border-town roots.

"There just comes a point in your life when you have to do what is right and not be worried about the naysayers or the critics or how it will be perceived," he said. "I have to look at myself in the mirror every day, and I don't think I would have been very comfortable had I not gotten involved."

Watching from the edges

Political observers call his coming out on the issue of immigration a principled move, not a political one.

Friends and supporters of Peña expected nothing less. His deep moral convictions, religion and commitment to public service all contribute to his latest public incarnation, they say.

"He had heard enough and had seen enough and felt there was a voice that needed to be expressed by someone that has, I think, garnered some respect in the community in regards to major issues, and this is one of them," said Alfredo Peña, Federico's younger brother and a lawyer in Denver.

The move wasn't, however, his original intention. Education is his first priority, said Peña, who is in talks with the Denver Public Schools superintendent to help lead a community education committee. Education was going to be the platform on which he re-emerged into public life.

But the debate around illegal immigration was bubbling across the country, and the argument in Colorado was particularly heated because of the proposed ballot initiative.

He'd been watching and quietly talking among his inner circle about the issue for more than a year. His former chief of staff, Katherine Archuleta, compiled information for him about the positions of both sides, the proposal and the debate.

"He realized that this was an issue he cared passionately about, an issue in which he could make a contribution," said Archuleta, now chief operating officer for Mayor John Hickenlooper.

"This is not a Latino issue by itself. This is an issue that touches every segment of our community."

A strident controversy

Bob Estrada, Peña's old friend from Texas, isn't surprised that the two men are on the same wavelength when it comes to immigration, despite Estrada's Republican affiliation.

"It's such an emotional issue, for me as it is for him," said Estrada, who was in first grade with Peña and eventually became Peña's college roommate.

"It's an issue that cuts to the core in terms of our heritage. It transcends party loyalty or anything that would be partisan. ... It's such a human rights issue."

As the debate grew louder and more contentious, Peña was growing frustrated with what he was hearing. The rhetoric about illegal immigrants burned his sensibilities. He wondered where the balanced voices were.

"I kept hearing illogical comments from people who knew nothing about the border," he said. "I'm from the border. I've crossed the border more times than some of these people have even looked at the border."

In the end it was the kids- and the workers, many taking part in a civic demonstration for the first time in their lives, that motivated him.

"For them to be courageous and bold enough to be public about their opposition to what is going on in Washington, I felt moved by that, and I felt I had to be involved."

If not him, who?

Prominent voices on the other side of the debate also pushed Peña to "become the clear voice that could articulate a sensible strategy."

For example, former Colorado Gov. Dick Lamm is advocating for the ballot initiative proposed by Defend Colorado Now.

Amid all the conversations and reflection, the "aha" moment came for Peña when a buddy called him three days before the massive May 1 march, which brought an estimated 75,000 people to the Colorado Capitol.

"Hey, let's go march on Monday," his friend said.

"'Well, that's interesting,' I thought," said Peña. "'Well, sure; I've been in marches before,' - and that is when I started thinking about speaking out."

The next day he called the organizers, asking for time to address the marchers. Friends encouraged him to do it regardless of what people might say or what impression would be made, he said.

His Latino heritage and connection to the border makes this a unique and personal issue for Peña. His ancestors helped found Laredo, Texas, 250 years ago.

"When I listen to people who have not been here very long criticize immigrants, and I look at my family and I look at my history, I have such deep roots - I'm reminded of the tremendous contributions that not only my family has made, but that others have made," he said.

Catholic faith played role

Peña is deeply troubled by the message he says America is sending with proposals like the ballot initiative and efforts to criminalize people who already live and work in the U.S.

"How can I as a Christian, a Catholic, sit back and watch that happen?" he said. "We tell the world we are a country that has religious values. There are some deep religious and moral issues involved in this matter that I'm going to remind people about."

Peña does not advocate open borders. Actually, he favors increased border enforcement and heavy sanctions on employers who violate hiring laws, including jail for first-time offenders.

But he is in favor, he says, of immigration reform that includes a pathway to citizenship for those who live, work and have made a home here - as were many of the marchers whose bravery spurred his decision.

"I drew my courage from them," he said about the demonstrators.

"And I think others have drawn their courage from me, because now I'm getting calls from people saying, 'How can I help? What can I do? I want to give money. I want to serve on the committee."'

Staff writer Elizabeth Aguilera can be reached at 303-820-1372 or eaguilera@denverpost.com.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

this is not a human rights issue nor a moral issue --

if these people want to help everyone so bad because it's the 'Christian' duty, why not go to Mexico and fight there. Jesus said to "GO into all the nations" -- he never said BRING all the nations to your doorstep
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Look where this "Christian" message comes from. The church here by me has no leader because there aren't enough left after cleaning out the child molesters. They're low on funds after paying out millions of dollars to settle claims. They'll do anything for money. I saw Metro government employees installing a street and stop sign on the ingress to the church parking lot. I called in and was told that was now a "street." I called my councilman to complain about this new street that had a locked gate across it. Investigation revealed that the church had pulled strings to get this thing declared a street, however, it was still a private drive. I couldn't drive on it. This new street was going to get new paving at taxpayer expense, but not anymore.
    The visiting Priest also no longer drives a take home Police car. "Chaplains" now have to have their own car.
    Last week a gang of illegal aliens supplied by a good parishioner "coyote" contractor roofed this church.
    They need to ally with the frightened and ignorant because moral people will no longer finance the big lie.
    You shall know them by their deeds and fruits?
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Haitian refugees floating on handmade boats trying to reach a new shore. Cubans rescued from the ocean on a quest to get to the United States. Mexicans who crossed, many through miles of desert, to work illegally in kitchens or on lawns, in fields or on construction sites, trying to make a better life for their children.
    I don't know any Haitians. I can imagine what they went through. I know some Cubans and they told me what they escaped and what they had to do to get away. Often their first attempts were not successful and they were severely punished. If any one is most like the freedom loving founding fathers of this country it would be these Cubans. Comparing Mexicans scurrying across a border to steal a life to the things Cubans go through is ludicrous and disrespectful.
    These guys spouting this stuff are just Mexican rascists.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by loservillelabor
    Look where this "Christian" message comes from. The church here by me has no leader because there aren't enough left after cleaning out the child molesters. They're low on funds after paying out millions of dollars to settle claims. They'll do anything for money. I saw Metro government employees installing a street and stop sign on the ingress to the church parking lot. I called in and was told that was now a "street." I called my councilman to complain about this new street that had a locked gate across it. Investigation revealed that the church had pulled strings to get this thing declared a street, however, it was still a private drive. I couldn't drive on it. This new street was going to get new paving at taxpayer expense, but not anymore.
    The visiting Priest also no longer drives a take home Police car. "Chaplains" now have to have their own car.
    Last week a gang of illegal aliens supplied by a good parishioner "coyote" contractor roofed this church.
    They need to ally with the frightened and ignorant because moral people will no longer finance the big lie.
    You shall know them by their deeds and fruits?
    I don't consider helping murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc. as being 'Christian' -- the federal government has no way of knowing who these foreigners are so surely the church doesn't either and their crimes will be on their hands
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"