Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pelosi 'not pleased' with immigration bill

Pelosi 'not pleased' with immigration bill
    John Wildermuth, Chronicle Political Writer

Saturday, May 19, 2007

(05-19) 14:22 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is "not pleased" with the immigration bill now before the Senate and suggested today that it needs major changes before she can support it.

"I agree that it's a good first step,'' the Democratic leader said after giving a commencement address at the University of San Francisco, "but I'm very concerned about what it says about family reunification.''

The long-awaited immigration measure, supported by President Bush and leading senators from both parties, eliminates the decades-old rule that sent the siblings and adult children of U.S. citizens and legal residents to the front of the immigration line.

Under a compromise sought by Senate Republicans, those family members would have to take their chances under a new immigration "point system" that gives preference to English-speakers with advanced degrees or specific job skills.

Family reunification will be a prime principle in any immigration bill that comes out of the House, Pelosi promised.

"A point system for unification undermines our family values that we espouse in our country," the San Francisco congresswoman said. "I don't know why we have to compromise on reunification of families, I really don't.''

Pelosi spoke at the graduation ceremonies for USF's McLaren College of Business. At the commencement, the university honored the late Leo McCarthy, longtime California political leader and university benefactor, with an honorary degree. Pelosi praised the former San Francisco supervisor, Assembly speaker and lieutenant governor, as a longtime friend and mentor.

"Let me say simply that without Leo McCarthy's guidance, there would be no first woman speaker of the House of Representatives,'' she said.

During her 10-minute address inside St. Ignatius Church, Pelosi reminded the graduates of the words of Pope Paul VI: "If you want peace, work for justice.'' She urged them to "know your power and follow your dreams, the power and passion that strengthens beauty of your dreams, the depth of your imagination and the strength of your values.''

Although Pelosi received a standing ovation, at least one Catholic group disapproved of the pro-choice congresswoman being invited to make the address. In a letter to the Rev. Stephen Privett, the university's president, the Cardinal Newman Society urged that Pelosi not be allowed to speak.

"Nancy Pelosi is one of the leaders of the pro-abortion movement,'' Patrick Reilly, president of the society, said in an interview. "It's shameful and entirely contrary to the university's mission to hold her up as an example to the students.''

But Privett, who gave the invocation when Pelosi was sworn in as speaker of the House last January, refused to withdraw the invitation.

"Both faith and politics are committed to the pursuit of peace, to bringing light into our world, and to bringing hope to those whose lives lead them to despair,'' said Gary McDonald, a university spokesman. "Speaker Pelosi is committed to those ideals in her public and private life."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... ss.bayarea
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What a harpy! Not getting more illegal aliens fast enough for her.

Oh please!

I'm more concerned that Street Sense lost by a nose to Curlin at Preakness than I am with what Pelosi has to say about illegal aliens.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I agree that it's a good first step,'' the Democratic leader said after giving a commencement address at the University of San Francisco, "but I'm very concerned about what it says about family reunification.''
    What an elitist dimwit. She reads a bill that would totally destroy American culture and all she can do is focus on reunification of illegal aliens. So if we give 20 million amnesty and they bring in their families we now have 100 million INSTANTLY. This woman's brain (assuming she has one) must be located near the end of her colon.
    <div>Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself. Mark Twain</div>