www.coloradoan.com

Policy must protect, provide for citizens
Jim Welker

My recent three-day trip to Arizona was a fact-finding mission to learn more about the human and economic impact of illegal immigration.

I talked to Arizona state legislators, law enforcement, border residents, the border patrol and members of a volunteer group who assist them. I returned from my trip determined to share what I learned with my constituents and to continue to search for viable solutions to this costly and heartbreaking problem.

As you slept last night, more than 8,200 people entered our country illegally across our southern border with Mexico. This amounts to about 3 million every year. Most of these people come to find a better life. They want to work, provide for their families and become productive citizens. But they break the law in the process, and the consequences are often tragic.

The bodies of 462 illegal immigrants were found so far this year in Arizona deserts who succumbed to dehydration and starvation. Human traffickers are called "coyotes." These men charge exorbitant fees to their subjects, usually about $1,600. Several of my sources told me that many of these "coyotes" insist on absolute obedience, beating young men to make them compliant and raping many of the women. We learned of immigrants who were charged $50 for a hamburger on the American side of the border, then robbed of the rest of their money. It is not hard for the unscrupulous to take advantage of the desperate and needy.

So what kind of life do these illegal immigrants face if they succeed in relocating to our country? Frankly, not much better than slave labor. Without proper paperwork and adequate resources, they are hiredfor low-paying, dead-end positions. I have heard other Americans claim that it is somehow benevolent to allow illegal aliens the "privilege" of taking on these menial jobs. Since when has exploitation been the answer to our nation's economic or moral dilemmas?

This flood of illegal immigrants has negatively impacted our economy and our citizens. Once they cross the border, our taxpayers become responsible for their emergency health care, education and other needs.

Arizona legislators report losses of more than $1.3 billion per year. Police in Phoenix report that 80 percent of violent crimes are committed by illegal aliens. The governors of Arizona and New Mexico declared a "state of emergency" in August.

Colorado taxpayers are also feeling this impact. More than $100 million is spent every year caring for the estimated 250,000 illegal aliens in Colorado. This includes the cost of supporting the 1,600-plus felons in our state prisons who are here illegally.

My primary duty as a state legislator is to craft humane and sensible laws that protect and provide for the law-abiding citizens of Colorado. Polls conducted by the likes of Zogby, Roper and Gallop show that 80 percent of Americans want our borders secured and enforced. I will continue to support these efforts. We need to find humane and reasonable solutions to this crisis. I agree with Russell Pearce, R-Ariz., who said, "A nation that does not control its borders is a nation in name only."

We also need to remember our heritage as a nation that provides refuge and hope to the "huddled masses" who long for a "golden door" to a better life (Emma Lazarus). It may be time to increase the numbers of green cards and visas granted to those who are willing to apply for citizenship in a lawful manner.

My Web site, www.jimwelker.com, will soon post additional information on this critical issue. Please contact me to let me know your opinions and concerns.

State Rep. Jim Welker lives in Loveland.

Originally published October 22, 2005