Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Utah Senate leaders want single immigration bill

Dec 31, 2010 1:43pm

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah Senate leaders say they are considering running a single immigration bill in the upcoming legislative session that combines parts of numerous bills other lawmakers are already sponsoring.
    ");?> It isn't clear exactly what the bill would entail.

Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Jenkins told The Salt Lake Tribune that last week's Republican caucus revealed divisions on how to approach the immigration issue.

Current proposals call for stricter enforcement, eliminating in-state tuition for illegal immigrants and creating a guest worker program.

Jenkins suggested rolling portions of multiple bills together, but he couldn't get a consensus. Leadership planned to press harder on moving in that direction when the caucus gathers again Jan. 10, he said.

The Legislature could have its productivity hampered if it has to address multiple immigration bills while grappling with hundreds of other measures dealing with everything from education to health care, all while addressing a tight budget, Jenkins said.

"Look, I know we have 16 (immigration bills) and we could have 20 easy. This could end up taking weeks and weeks of our time and just destroying everything else," he said. "We could free ourselves from a week and half of our time if we could put together an omnibus bill."

Senate President Michael Waddoups said there isn't much interest in "doing a little bit here and a little bit there." Instead, it has to be comprehensive, he said.

One proposal mentioned by Waddoups is to have Sen. Curtis Bramble, R-Provo, sponsor an immigration bill that addresses enforcement, education, employers and guest-worker possibilities. Bramble was the original sponsor of a state law that allows illegal immigrants to get driving privilege cards.

"It's not about me, but it's about people's lives and whether we can get the support of a diverse group of people to actually tackle the problem," Bramble said. "If that means sponsoring a bill, then, yes, I'd be willing to do it."

www.necn.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

RELATED

CA. Bay Area activist working to put Arizona-style immigration law on California ballot

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-219166.html

Info @ http://www.supportimmigration.org/
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Syanis
    Which states are comming together to change the birthright citizenship deal?

Its also within states power to do that as the US Constitution doesn't specify that its a federal power. It also gives states the power to protect their own borders if need be which this could easily be argued for.

Any idea which state leader is the one getting the states together? With enough support of other states they could pass a state made federal amendment using article 5 of the US Constitution.
    After Obama decided to sue AZ I heard a lot about the Michigan attorney general getting highly POed and rounding up the states. Not sure if he has anything to do with the birthright citizenship deal.
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jean

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah Senate leaders say they are considering running a single immigration bill in the upcoming legislative session that combines parts of numerous bills other lawmakers are already sponsoring.

Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Jenkins told The Salt Lake Tribune that last week's Republican caucus revealed divisions on how to approach the immigration issue.

Current proposals call for stricter enforcement, eliminating in-state tuition for illegal immigrants and creating a guest worker program.

Jenkins suggested rolling portions of multiple bills together, but he couldn't get a consensus. Leadership planned to press harder on moving in that direction when the caucus gathers again Jan. 10, he said.

The Legislature could have its productivity hampered if it has to address multiple immigration bills while grappling with hundreds of other measures dealing with everything from education to health care, all while addressing a tight budget, Jenkins said.

"Look, I know we have 16 (immigration bills) and we could have 20 easy. This could end up taking weeks and weeks of our time and just destroying everything else," he said. "We could free ourselves from a week and half of our time if we could put together an omnibus bill."

Senate President Michael Waddoups said there isn't much interest in "doing a little bit here and a little bit there." Instead, it has to be comprehensive, he said.

One proposal mentioned by Waddoups is to have Sen. Curtis Bramble, R-Provo, sponsor an immigration bill that addresses enforcement, education, employers and guest-worker possibilities. Bramble was the original sponsor of a state law that allows illegal immigrants to get driving privilege cards.

"It's not about me, but it's about people's lives and whether we can get the support of a diverse group of people to actually tackle the problem," Bramble said. "If that means sponsoring a bill, then, yes, I'd be willing to do it."

www.necn.com
    It's situations like this........

www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50712403-78/ ... n.html.csp

.....that are finally waking each and every state in the Union up. This illegal alien infestation is so flagrant, so perverse and so permeating, it cannot and will not be ignored and tolerated much longer. This issue will be legislatively addressed, it can no longer be the proverbial can kicked down the road.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by jean

www.necn.com
    It's situations like this........

www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50712403-78/ ... n.html.csp

.....that are finally waking each and every state in the Union up. This illegal alien infestation is so flagrant, so perverse and so permeating, it cannot and will not be ignored and tolerated much longer. This issue will be legislatively addressed, it can no longer be the proverbial can kicked down the road.
    I DON'T KNOW WHAT ITS GOING TO TAKE TO WAKE THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA CONCERNING THIS PROBLEM I AM SO ANGRY WITH MY HOME STATE RIGHT NOW UNTIL IT ISN'T FUNNY. EVERY OTHER STATE AROUND N.C. HAS THE GUTS TO STAND UP AGAINST THIS WRONG THAT IS BEING DONE TO ITS CITIZENS EXCEPT THIS ONE. JUST WHAT ARE THEY, THE DUMMY'S IN THE STATE CAPITOL GETTING OUT OF THIS THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE HERE AND THE STATE GOVERNMENT KNOWS IT, BUT YET THEY STILL TOLERATE IT. WE THE PEOPLE COULD NEVER GO TO MEXICO AND DEMAND ANYTHING FROM THAT COUNTRY LET ALONE DEMAND THAT THEY REFORM THEIR IMMIGRATION LAWS. SO WHY IS OUR GOVERNMENT SO STUPID TO BOW TO THE DEMANDS OF MEXICO AND ITS ILLEGAL CITIZENS IN THE U.S.

I AM SO ASHAMED OF THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStClaire
    I think the reason North Carolina isn't doing anything is because about 100% of their construction companies are hiring illegals over Americans. It's sad but true.
    "Mother Sick of Sending Her Child to A School Overflowing With Anchors and Illegals!"
    http://the-drama-of-my-life.blogspot.com

I realize it's only the 2nd of Jan., but perhaps ALIPAC will be making a FOCUS campaign for these various states ? At the federal level we should push for E-verify. IMO, very little will happen at the federal level and we should focus on these state bills.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStClaire

Me too. There needs to be some change here. One way or another.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast