Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Political Battle on Illegal Immigration Shifts to States

Political Battle on Illegal Immigration Shifts to StatesBy JULIA PRESTON
    Published: December 31, 2010
    Recommend
    Twitter

Send To Phone
    Print

Reprints

Close
    LinkedinDiggMixxMySpaceYahoo! BuzzPermalink. Legislative leaders in at least half a dozen states say they will propose bills similar to a controversial law to fight illegal immigration that was adopted by Arizona last spring, even though a federal court has suspended central provisions of that statute.

The efforts, led by Republicans, are part of a wave of state measures coming this year aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration.

Legislators have also announced measures to limit access to public colleges and other benefits for illegal immigrants and to punish employers who hire them.

Next week, at least five states plan to begin an unusual coordinated effort to cancel automatic United States citizenship for children born in this country to illegal immigrant parents.

Opponents say that effort would be unconstitutional, arguing that the power to grant citizenship resides with the federal government, not with the states. Still, the chances of passing many of these measures appear better than at any time since 2006, when many states, frustrated with inaction in Washington, began proposing initiatives to curb illegal immigration.

Republicans gained more than 690 seats in state legislatures nationwide in the November midterms, winning their strongest representation at the state level in more than 80 years.

Few people expect movement on immigration issues when Congress reconvenes next week in a divided Washington. Republicans, who will control the House of Representatives, do not support an overhaul of immigration laws that President Obama has promised to continue to push. State lawmakers say it has fallen to them to act.

“The federal government’s failure to enforce our border has functionally turned every state into a border state,â€

I am concerned about Harry Reid's plans to change the Senate rules on the 5th. If he can get them changed I believe that one of the first things he will do will be to give the illegals amnesty to try to insure the vote for Obama in 2012. I am just thinkin..
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican
    I am concerned about Harry Reid's plans to change the Senate rules on the 5th. If he can get them changed I believe that one of the first things he will do will be to give the illegals amnesty to try to insure the vote for Obama in 2012. I am just thinkin..
    Yea, me too! Dirty Harry Reid will pull anything, no trick is too dirty... starting with VOTER FRAUD in VEGAS!

He knows he's got the 51 votes to pass the Dream Scheme, and if he doesn't keep bringing this up every 2 weeks the Nikki Diaz' of Nevada are gonna rat his treasonous ass out!"Let the Investigations Begin!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    With a new house wouldn't it need to go through the house again? Or couldn't the house pass a re-pull saying they no longer support it?

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)