POLITICS, IMMIGRATION, AND WARS
http://frigglesnitz.townhall.com/Defaul ... 08c181a63a
Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:04 AM

Those are heavy subjects. Politics. Immigration. Wars.

Faced with the mere words themselves, I realize what a lightweight I am.

Nevertheless I will weigh in.

Politics stink. Most politicians reek. Recently I commented to a blog by Sandra Lea Wise ("A Word to the Wise") wherein Sandra stated it seemed America was now leaning left.

A dilemma arises when one leans neither right nor left and is left standing alone with little support.

The reason for my standing alone, sensing no support, is that the choices among the presidential hopefuls are in my opinion nonexistent. Not one appears to have the intensity or fire or desire or a proper philosophy to go for it. And until that happens I shall continue to stand alone, leaning neither right nor left.

Politicians have in large part left me with the feeling they're all slopping at the trough with others of their kind. This is not exacerbated in the least by the realization that I personally have little slop to add to the trough, while lobbyists for corporate interests seemingly have endless supplies of it. Slop, that is.

That is where I am on the subject of politics.

Immigration is an issue that is, I believe, enraging most Americans, one leaving us with a profound sense of impotence. It seems that all we can do is rage. And rage. And rage. While politicians (oops -- the subjects are overlapping) in Washington are doing the equivalent of fiddling while we burn in rage.

For 20 years the illegal alien problem has grown and festered to the point of eruption, and still our government does nothing creative or realistic about it.

Known alien criminals repeat offenses against our laws, and there is little if anything being done to allay our belief that justice will be served, either now or in the foreseeable future.

Drunk alien drivers kill hundreds of Americans each year; yet that problem continues.

Convicted alien pedophiles and child molesters and rapists continue to lurk, molest and rape; yet that problem continues.

For 20 years illegal aliens have been allowed to slither, crawl, swim, climb around or over any of our ineffectual barriers on our southern border. Yet that problem continues.

Our U.S. Border Patrol has been prevented from doing the job it has been instructed to do: protect our borders. In fact, it seems to be just the ticket to catch Border Patrol members, accuse them of doing their jobs, try them, convict them, and throw them in prison with the types of criminals they were charged with apprehending. All this while the U.S. (that's you and me) pay off the criminal to testify against our people, and then allow the criminal to continue to ply his trade unimpeded, back and forth across the border.

There is something terribly wrong with this picture.

Three to seven miles of 700 miles of promised fencing have been built. There has been no news that anyone is working feverishly to complete the remaining approximately 693 miles. All the average American can do is to keep up the repetitive "Where is the fence?" Just where is the fence?

Who is it that is charged with enforcing our immigration laws? Here's my opinion: they are falling down on the job.

On the subject of war: we are in it. Using the politicians' war cry, are we in it to win it?

Have we become such paper tigers that we arm our enemies to the teeth, hoping, apparently, that doing so will prevent their ganging up on us and flattening us -- so descriptively suggested as "wiping us off the face of the earth"?

I could perhaps be called a hawk, suggesting, as I have to my U.S. lawmakers, that we show "those people" -- and everyone knows what people are meant here -- who has the biggest gun.

Or shall we wait until we no longer have the biggest gun? Do we have a death wish? Rather, does our esteemed executive branch have a death wish for us? Do our politicians (there they are again) have a death wish for us?

Are we forsaking one of our best allies and friends, Israel, for a farthing? Are we selling them out? Are we selling ourselves out?

Let's ask the politicians.