Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Poll: Most Americans doubt President Bush's honesty

www.nydailynews.com

Poll: Most Americans doubt President Bush's honesty

ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON - Most Americans say they aren't impressed by the ethics and honesty of the Bush administration, already under scrutiny for its justifications for an unpopular war in Iraq and its role in the leak of a covert CIA officer's identity.
    Almost six in 10 - 57 percent - said they do not think the Bush administration has high ethical standards and the same portion says President Bush is not honest, an AP-Ipsos poll found. Just over four in 10 say the administration has high ethical standards and that Bush is honest. Whites, Southerners and white evangelicals were most likely to believe Bush is honest.

Bush, who promised in the 2000 campaign to uphold "honor and integrity" in the White House, last week ordered White House workers, from presidential advisers to low-ranking aides, to attend ethics classes.

The president gets credit from a majority for being strong and decisive, but he's also seen by an overwhelming number of people as "stubborn," a perception reinforced by his refusal to yield on issues like the Iraq war, tax cuts and support for staffers under intense pressure.

More than eight in 10, 82 percent, described Bush as "stubborn," with almost that many Republicans agreeing to that description. That stubborn streak has served Bush well at times, but now he is being encouraged to shake up his staff and change the direction of White House policies.

Concern about the administration's ethics has been fueled by the controversy over flawed intelligence leading up to the Iraq war and the recent indictment of Vice President Dick Cheney's top aide, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice for his role in the leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame's name.

That loss of trust complicates Bush's efforts to rebuild his standing with the public. His job approval rating remains at his all-time low in the AP-Ipsos poll of 37 percent.

"Honesty is a huge issue because even people who disagreed with his policies respected his integrity," said Bruce Buchanan, a political scientist from the University of Texas.

The mandatory White House lectures on ethics for its employees came after the Libby indictment, and some people say they aren't impressed.

"It's like shutting the barn door after the horse escaped," said John Morrison, a Democrat who lives near Scranton, Pa.

"This week's elections were just a preview of what's going to happen," he said, referring to Tuesday's New Jersey and Virginia gubernatorial races, both won by Democrats. "People are just fed up."

Some Republicans are nervous about the GOP's political position.

"A lot of elected Republicans are running for the hills in the Northeast," said Connecticut GOP strategist Chris DePino after what he called "a waterfall of missteps" by Republicans. Bush and the GOP must return to their message that the United States has been safe from terrorism during his administration, DePino said.

Only 42 percent in the new poll said they approve of Bush's handling of foreign policy and terrorism, his lowest rating yet in an area that has long been his strongest issue.

The war in Iraq is at the core of the public's unrest, polling found.

An AP-Ipsos poll last week asked people to state in their own words why they approved or disapproved of the way Bush was doing his job. Almost six in 10 disapproved, and they most frequently mentioned the war in Iraq - far ahead of the second issue, the economy.

"To use an unfortunate metaphor, Iraq is a roadside bomb in American politics," said Rich Bond, a former national Republican chairman.

Many of those who approve of Bush's job performance cited his Christian beliefs and strong values, the second biggest reason for support after backing his policies.

"I know he is a man of integrity and strong faith," said Fran Blaney, a Republican and an evangelical who lives near Hartford, Conn. "I've read that he prays every morning asking for God's guidance. He certainly is trying to do what he thinks he is supposed to do."

The poll of 1,000 adults was conducted Nov. 7-9 by Ipsos, an international polling firm, and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Originally published on November 11, 2005
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Poll: Most Americans doubt President Bush's honesty

"I know he is a man of integrity and strong faith," said Fran Blaney, a Republican and an evangelical who lives near Hartford, Conn. "I've read that he prays every morning asking for God's guidance. He certainly is trying to do what he thinks he is supposed to do."
    Here is one of his mistakes. He isn't supposed to pray every monring asking for God's guidance in our politics. He's supposed to wake up every morning and go to his Office and do WHAT WE WANT HIM TO DO.

We are not a Theocracy....Bush is not a Muslim Cleric.

He is an elected representative of the American People, who took an oath to uphold our laws which means telling the truth and doing his job as prescribed.

Did God tell Bush to invade Afghanistan?

Did God tell Bush to invade Iraq?

Did God tell Bush to violate his SWORN OATH of office?

Did God tell Bush to lie about Saddam Hussein?

Did God tell Bush to lie about the Taliban?

Did God tell Bush to torture prisoners of war?

Did God tell Bush to use White Phosphorous in Iraq?

Did God tell Bush to read My Pet Goat instead of authorizing NORAD to stop those planes on 9/11?

We'll never know for sure, but what I do know is that when I pray, the signal comes back--stop Bush.

We are not a theocracy. We are a free Republic. This man is supposed to do what we want him to do, and if he can't do that for whatever reason...conversations with God or WHATEVER....then he needs to resign his Presidency and go join a convent!! He can be the Priest on Duty tending to the Nuns.

I wonder if he can take Laura with him or will he have to leave her behind in Crawford.....with all those cute Texas cowboys?

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

He may be praying to God, but Bush sure isn't listening to God.

gingerup--you're right.

And alot of people are dying and getting maimed and injured and damaged and their lives ruined here and in our war areas as a result.

Impeach Bush!!

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I am ROLLING, JUDY!! HELP ME!! I can't quit LAUGHING. I can just picture you getting your message from the Almighty telling you to dump Bush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH GOD. If it weren't so sad, I could keep on cracking up. Your description of his revelations is just SO TRUE.

IF these evangelicals don't get over their belief that Bush is taking his orders from God, we are going to be WAY down the tube. I've been telling you--they are running this country like a THEOCRACY. THAT is what those evangelicals want and, by God, that's what they are getting. I swear to you on all that's holy--they BELIEVE that GARBAGE. THEY REALLY BELIEVE THIS. I am frightened by this Christian zealotry.

You are right. He needs to get his little ass over to that Oval Office and RUN THIS COUNTRY. AND, NOT INTO THE GROUND.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Oh shoot. I was laughing so hard I missed the Priest On Duty in the CONVENT. I've got to stop now so I can go to sleep. I will probably wake up laughing all night and I will have you to blame for my insomnia!!!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

Sweet Dreams Bootsie!!

QUOTE:
    Some Republicans are nervous about the GOP's political position.

And the Republicans should be VERY worried about their political position.

We told them so, we told them so...when are they going to understand that we may seem very "ordinary" from their position, BUT it is the "ordianary people" who will eventually decide their fate. You've got to listen....WE ARE AMERICA.

Nighty night Bootsie, keep laughing, and you'll probably have some great dream like Karl Rove being deported, or President Bush having a meeting with Vicente Fox, and then he kicks him out of the White House, or you're sitting at a beach and you look over and you see all of us from Alipac and we're shaking Tom Tancredo's hand because he just won the presidency and Judy is the Vice President ,or any number of things Bootsie, so just keep laughing!! Maybe you'll dream that Condi got fired and Scuba is going to be Secretary of State. The possibilites are endless.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Some Republicans are nervous about their political position"

Back home in southwest Missouri, we'd say:

"Their peeing in their pants"

Which I think is more accurate at this point in time!!

You're Right--Legal, we've been screamin' for months that if they didn't get their act together and get this program on track--they will destroy this party which over the history of our nation has accomplished a great many good things and deserved to continue on in time. It is now a Pirate Ship with a a big hole in its hull....and I don't really think anyone is going to rush out for a Rescue. They did it, they'll have to save themselves, redefine, regroup, and re-sell us Real Republicans all over again...or we're Moving On to a New Party. PERIOD!!

YOU SAID IT, SISTER
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast