Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Priebus: Trump considering fund cuts for sanctuary cities

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Priebus: Trump considering fund cuts for sanctuary cities

By Marisa Schultz November 20, 2016 | 4:42pm | Updated

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump’s team is standing by a proposed crackdown on New York City and other municipalities that help shelter undocumented immigrants from deportation.

Trump’s newly named chief of staff, Reince Priebus, said Sunday that Trump is “looking into” cutting millions in funding to so-called sanctuary cities on day 1 of his presidency.

“That’s something for the new administration to decide and something that we’re going to all be working on and looking into,” Priebus said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Host Jake Tapper specifically asked about Los Angeles’ refusal to work with federal agents on deporting half a million undocumented immigrants and yet still receiving $500 million in federal funding.

Priebus implied that cities can’t have it both ways: ignore federal law, and then ask for federal money.

“That’s not the way life works, and I think that the Trump administration is going to explore this issue and I think resolve some of these major problems happening all across the country,” Priebus said.

Trump campaigned with families whose loved ones were killed by undocumented immigrants and pledged “no more funding” for sanctuary cities.

If Trump stands firm, New York could have some $10.4 billion in federal dollars jeopardized, according to CNN Money.

Low-level and non-violent offenders in New York City who are undocumented are not turned over to federal officials to be deported, but violent felons convicted of crimes are not shielded. New
    York City also offers an ID card for nearly half a million undocumented immigrants.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said after a meeting with Trump on Wednesday he’ll continue to protect immigrants.

“I reiterated to him that this city and so many cities around the country will do all we can to protect our residents and to make sure that families are not torn apart,” de Blasio said.

Also Sunday, Priebus said he won’t “rule out” a registry of Muslims under the Trump administration.

(video at source link)

“Look, I’m not going to rule out anything. But, but I wouldn’t — We’re not going to have a registry based on a religion,” Priebus told NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“There are some people that are radicalized and there are some people that have to be prevented from coming into this country,” he added.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations sounded the alarm about a “troubling Islamophobic trend” in Trump’s administration.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/20/priebus...ctuary-cities/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Shut it all off, every dime you can cut off without breaking the law or violating the Constitution, and I would think that's most of it. Then if for some reason it breaks the law, then change the damn law.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn