Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Protesters marching against Arpaio in Phoenix

Protesters marching against Arpaio in Phoenix

Feb. 28, 2009 11:55 AM
    The Arizona Republic

Opponents of Sheriff Joe Arpaio's illegal-immigration policies are holding their "March to Stop the Hate" in downtown Phoenix.

Speeches and music got under way at about 10:15 a.m. as a crowd about 400-500 gathered. The protest had been scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.

By the time the march reached it's halfway point, an unofficial estimate had the crowd up to about 600-700. The Phoenix Police Department said it would give its estimate sometime today.

Organizers had predicted 1,000 participants and it was possible they may reach that goal by the time the march is over.

The event is being led by the National Day Laborers Organizing Network and El Puente Arizona, and was to feature Zach de la Rocha, former lead singer of Rage Against the Machine. De la Rocha has arrived at the Steele Indian School Park just before the march.

Organizers planned to leave the park and march south on Central Avenue past the Immigration and Customs Enforcement building. The route also passes Wells Fargo Tower - where Arpaio has his headquarters - and ends at the federal building on Washington Street.

Supporters of Arpaio were gathering at the Wells Fargo Tower, 100 West Washington Street. By 10:45 a.m., more than 100 people, many carrying "We Support Sheriff Joe" signs, were at the sheriff's headquarters.

Astrid Galvan and Jeffrey Javier contributed to this report
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoe ... te-ON.html

I was there, and the turnout of us was over two hundred.
    I will be downloading some pictures later, I have to rest took a lot out of me. They had over three hundred. I love being right there, if you know what I mean.
    Proud to be an AMERICAN

Thanks Koobster for being there! Looking forward to seeing the pics!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE
    Appreciate your efforts kooster.

Let's all go to Mexico and protest their citizens doing all the "hateful" things they have done to our country.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope ICE and the FBI were there as bystanders or participants and plenty of fotos were taken of the protesters against Arpaio. You never know how far some of those nuts could go.
    And thanks, Koobster, for protesting the protest! Rest up and get well!

UT ..just ONE illegal is too many, let’s start w/the usurper & his cronies..!! ;)

I would've loved to help Sheriff Joe Arpaio..!! ;)

I would've loved to help Sheriff Joe..

THANKS for being there..!!

BIG PS:
    Mafia/Usurper Thread
    : www.alipac.us/ftopict-137238.html
    No need for ‘mass roundups’, simply ENFORCE EXISTING law*& MANDATE the worker ID, ..but SEVEN amnesties? Hmm, WHO cried wolf?!

Quote Originally Posted by koobster
    I was there, and the turnout of us was over two hundred.
    I will be downloading some pictures later, I have to rest took a lot out of me. They had over three hundred. I love being right there, if you know what I mean.
    Look forward to your pics koobster. Good for you for going to help support Sheriff Arpaio.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Comments at the source link.
    ~~~

Arpaio responds to protest; MCSO investigates threat
    February 28th, 2009 @ 5:41pm
    by Steve Soliz/KTAR

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he won't back down from his immigration enforcement policies in light of Saturday's march against his enforcement of illegal immigration laws.

"You think I'm going to stop because they don't like what I'm doing?" Arpaio said. "Change the laws. They're not going to scare the sheriff - I'm elected by the people.

"It doesn't matter. I'm still enforcing two state laws, and we will continue to enforce the state laws, and we will continue to arrest those [who] violate the illegal immigration laws."

MCSO is currently investigating a threat made against Arpaio by one of the pro-immigration demonstrators.

Doug Matteson with MCSO said the man was carrying a sign that read "Death to Arpaio=Freedom to America."

"One of the protestors was wearing a black mask, fully covering his face except for his eyes and his nose, [and] a black Raid t-shirt," Matteson said. "Also he had black gloves on, along with handcuffs and a fully-loaded Glock 23 semi-automatic pistol."

Several thousand people gathered outside the federal courthouse in downtown Phoenix to protest Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's enforcement of illegal immigration laws.

Several thousand protesters started their march at Steele Indian School Park and made their way towards the federal courthouse in downtown Phoenix.

The group sang songs, banged on drums and stood together, saying they'd stand up against Arpaio and his "out of line" tactics.

Gila River resident Shannon Rivers said he hopes the Obama administration is listening and shuts down the sheriff's use of the ICE program to arrest illegal immigrants.

"Basically what he's doing is illegal," Rivers said. "You can't be doing that and arresting people for simply busted taillights or maybe even racial profiling. I hope that now, things will change."

Carolos Garcia said he thinks Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano will pull the plug on Arpaio's program.

"We get these 5,000 folks to come out on our side this time - I think we're heading in the right direction, and I think Arpaio's sweating a little bit," Garcia said.

http://www.ktar.com/?nid=6&sid=1094303
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Marchers protest illegal immigration policies
    Comments 1| Recommend 0
    The Associated Press

February 28, 2009 - 8:21PM

PHOENIX — A few thousand people marched Saturday in downtown Phoenix to protest Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's illegal-immigration policies. Authorities say the "March to Stop the Hate" was peaceful with no major incidents reported.

Crowd estimates from organizers and law enforcement were not immediately available, but at least one estimate put it at about 3,000.

Along the march route, up to 200 Arpaio supporters gathered at the Wells Fargo Tower, where Arpaio has his headquarters.

Many carried signs in support of the embattled sheriff.

The event was led by the National Day Laborers Organizing Network and El Puente Arizona.

The marchers headed south on Central Avenue past the Immigration and Customs Enforcement building and the route ended at the federal building on Washington Street.

Two weeks ago, four members of Congress asked the U.S. Department of Justice to conduct a civil rights investigation of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, saying Arpaio has shown a disregard for Hispanics during his crime and immigration sweeps of heavily Latino areas in metropolitan Phoenix.

But Arpaio said his deputies didn't racially profile anyone in his series of sweeps and vowed to change nothing in response to the investigation request.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/136116

"One of the protestors was wearing a black mask, fully covering his face except for his eyes and his nose, [and] a black Raid t-shirt," Matteson said. "Also he had black gloves on, along with handcuffs and a fully-loaded Glock 23 semi-automatic pistol."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast