Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pruitt's top foe refuses meeting

Pruitt's top foe refuses meeting
    Casey Newton
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 15, 2007 12:00 AM

Mayor Phil Gordon's efforts to resolve the day-labor protests at M.D. Pruitt's Home Furnishings have come to a stalemate.

Salvador Reza, who has led demonstrations at the furniture store for two months in protest of the off-duty Maricopa County sheriff's deputies patrolling the neighborhood for day laborers, said he will not meet until the deputies go away.

"I remain hopeful that Mr. Reza and Mr. Sensing will agree to meet me with each other so that they can make an attempt to help mediate their differences," Gordon said. advertisement

"I will continue to extend an offer for the three of us to meet together."

Reza wrote a letter to the mayor Friday saying he and his group, the 35th and Thomas Organizing Committee, will not meet with Pruitt's owner Roger Sensing until Sensing quits hiring deputies on Saturdays.

Pruitt's makes request

The letter came a day after Sensing sent Gordon a letter calling for a full audit of Reza's funding, saying he had "reason to be concerned that citizen taxpayer dollars committed to subsidize Reza's various operations and activities may have been used to fund his protest activities outside Pruitt's."

Sensing also called for an immediate stop to the weekly protests in front of his business and full enforcement of solicitation, trespass and loitering laws outside his business.

In an earlier letter to Gordon, Reza said Sensing himself was not the problem.

"The dispute you mention is not between Mr. Reza and Mr. Sensing," Reza wrote.

"It is a dispute with the Sheriff's Department's indiscriminate profiling and arrests of members of the commu- nity."

Year-old feud

Reza and Sensing have feuded since over a year ago, when Sensing asked Sheriff Joe Arpaio for help keeping day laborers off his property, saying they were intimidating customers.

Arpaio's patrols have resulted in dozens of illegal immigrants being deported, outraging protesters.

Counterprotesters also now come to Pruitt's to cheer on Arpaio and his deputies.

www.azcentral.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Reza wrote a letter to the mayor Friday saying he and his group, the 35th and Thomas Organizing Committee, will not meet with Pruitt's owner Roger Sensing until Sensing quits hiring deputies on Saturdays.

How typical.....more demands on the part of those with no right to make them. I see Reza has gotten his copy of the LaRaza playbook and his secret decoder ring

I can almost guarantee this has everything to do with Gordon reversing himself on the sanctuary policy too, and it would not surprise me in the least if the next thing we hear from Reza is that unless Phoenix backs down they will keep targeting Pruitt's and 'predicting" violence against the property, Sensings, their employees, or customers.

It's beginning to get dangerous.

The letter came a day after Sensing sent Gordon a letter calling for a full audit of Reza's funding, saying he had "reason to be concerned that citizen taxpayer dollars committed to subsidize Reza's various operations and activities may have been used to fund his protest activities outside Pruitt's."

Good for Mr. Sensing!!! It's about time these so called "activists" and "rights organizations" started being audited and investigated with their funding being yanked and appropriate criminal charges being filed with prosecution to the fullest extent.

These people have gotten away with far too much for far too long. Well, not anymore amigos....not anymore.

Sensing also called for an immediate stop to the weekly protests in front of his business and full enforcement of solicitation, trespass and loitering laws outside his business.

I love it!!!! Sounds like Mr. Sensing just might be preparing to take legal action and I hope he does!!

Reza and his thugs are purposely out to destroy this man's business for doing what he had every right to do as American citizen........protect his customers, employees, and his business from the harm being caused by hoardes of IAs gathering there daily.

Mr. Sensing has been much nicer about this than a lot of us would have been but enough is enough.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Bully tactics and demands. I want to tell Mr. Sensing to keep it up. He has every right to protect his store, customers and self.

We saw bully tactics and DEMANDS this summer in Waukegan when the vote and application for 287g went down. Our mayor agreed to meet with the Latino activists. Wasn't pretty. But here's the learning curve since then... Our county sheriff, based in Waukegan, applied for 287g and announced it! Again the Latino activist are demanding a meeting and the sheriff said no! Quote from sheriff;

"It is beyond my comprehension that anyone would not want law enforcement to do all they possibly can to rid Lake County of the gangbangers, drug dealers, sex offenders and violent thugs that truly jeopardize the safety of law-abiding citizens, legal or illegal."

The activists also had boycotts of any store who wouldn't put up an orange sign against 287g. Guess what?! It backfired. Any store that put up the orange sign did not get our business. One Greek restaurant put up one, took it down after two days when he realized his mistake -and people to this day still won't go there on principal. Go to this link to see a picture of the orange sign, and one sign at Dunkin' Donuts!!!!

http://freedomfolks.com/blog/2007/07/16 ... -waukegan/

So my point? Stay strong Mr. Sensing. Stay the course. You are in the right. Can he set up a defense fund? Or fund for this security? I supported Hazleton and I'd like to support him as well.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

FedUpInWaukegan said:

Bully tactics and demands. I want to tell Mr. Sensing to keep it up. He has every right to protect his store, customers and self.

Good morning FedUp!!!

I'm sure that Mr. Sensing could use some more words of support and encouragement. If anyone is interested in contacting him, here is the contact info I have:

M. D. Pruitt's
    3425 E. Thomas Rd.
    Phoenix, AZ 85018

Phone number for Pruitt's is 602-956-1991.

I'm trying to find an email address.

Here is just a small example of the blatant hate and lies that the Sensings are being victimized by. When I read this, I was infuriated!!! How dare they do this to these people?

This is taken directly from the Indybay site where the protest information is posted:

Title: Phoenix, AZ Protest Sheriff Arpaio's Racist Abuse of Power
    START DATE: Saturday November 17
    TIME: 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
    Location Details:
    PHOENIX, AZ--sidewalk of Pruitt's Furniture, 35th street & Thomas (11am to 1pm) EVERY SAT. UNTIL XMAS
    11/17, 11/24, 12/01, 12/08, 12/15
    Event Type: Protest
    Contact Name Angeles
    Email Address angeles_maldonado1022 [at] yahoo.com
    Phone Number

Sheriff Arpaio continues to target immigrant workers in Arizona, since september, over 200 workers, day laborers, corn vendors, journalists have been arrested, many deported in AZ. Roger Sensing, owner of Pruitt's furniture store, is hiring off duty ice trained sheriff deputies to patrol the neighborhood of 35th st. and thomas, racially profiling day laborers, and intimidating the community.
    We can not continue to stand around, while our community is under attack. Join us in pressuring Roger Sensing, owner of Pruitt's Furniture, for aligning himself with a racist; Sheriff Joe Arpaio. He claims to be proud of being associated with the KKK.
    Let's make an example out of Pruitt's and send a clear message that we will not tolerate the ongoing targeted abuse of immigrant workers!

Link to this drek is:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/200...4/18461210.php

Now, something from Pruitt's site under "About Us":

Since the early 1950's, M.D. Pruitt's has been a family run business that prides itself in offering the absolute lowest prices on quality, name brand home furnishings. Through this philosophy, we've grown from a small garage operation
    to a 100,000 square foot home furnishings superstore.

American citizens who have achieved success through nothing more than many, many years of hard work, offering quality products, and excellent customer service.

And here they are being bullied and harrassed, all but being driven out of business, by freeloading criminals with no right to be here in the first place yet have their hands out expecting to lie, steal, and demand their way to success because they have some warped sense of entitlement.

Quite the contrast, isn't it?

U.S. immigration debate rages outside Arizona store

U.S. immigration debate rages outside Arizona storeSun Dec 16, 2007 8:17am EST
    By Tim Gaynor

PHOENIX, Arizona (Reuters) - In recent weeks the battle lines in a heated debate in the United States over illegal immigration have been drawn across the sidewalk outside an Arizona furniture store.

Mariachis, folk dancers and placard-toting Latino immigrants face off in front of M.D. Pruitt's Home Furnishings in Phoenix each Saturday against pro-enforcement demonstrators waving-stars-and-stripes flags.

On one side of a police line, the Hispanic activists armed with bull horns protest the use of off-duty sheriff's deputies hired by the store to clamp down on undocumented day laborers who gather outside to tout for work.

Boisterous demonstrators on the other side in the shouting match are supportive of local measures to crackdown on illegal immigrant workers, called "jornaleros."

But after eight weeks eyeballing one another on the sidewalk, opposing protesters holding placards reading "Close Our Borders" and "No Human Being is Illegal" agree that the escalating dispute is no longer simply about the furniture store hiring off-duty deputies.

"It's symbolic of what's going on all over the country. People are tired of illegal immigration and our politicians not listening to us," said Valerie Roller, a pro-enforcement activist at the site where sheriff's deputies have made more than 50 arrests since the action began.

Hispanic activists said the protest is now about making a stand for millions of illegal immigrants who they say have been sidelined by Washington, but subject to an increasing number of state and local laws.

"It's about supporting the people who are here to work and not starve in Mexico," said artist Luis Gutierrez.

The standoff began in mid October, several months after a bill seeking to tighten border enforcement and grant a path to legal status for some of the 12 million illegal immigrants living in the shadows was tossed by the U.S. Congress.

In the interim, state, local and city authorities nationwide have stepped into the gap. So far this year, more than 240 immigration-related have passed in laws in 46 states.

ALIENATING HISPANICS

Immigration is a hot-button issue in the United States, and the topic has flared frequently in debate among Republican and Democratic candidates jockeying to be their party's candidate in the November 2008 presidential election.

The politicians are walking a careful line between appeasing anti-immigration sentiment and trying not to turn off Hispanic voters, the fastest-growing bloc in this nation of immigrants.

Some observers watching the standoff in Phoenix say the dispute raises serious questions about the consequences of government deadlock over immigration and, more particularly, on using local police to enforce federal immigration laws.

Under a special agreement, U.S. federal immigration police have trained some 600 officers from 34 local agencies to enforce immigration laws, including more than 160 sheriff's deputies from Maricopa County, which includes Phoenix.

The deputies have arrested more than 530 illegal immigrants under the federal laws, while another 780 have been nabbed under a state anti-smuggling law.

The mayor of Phoenix, meanwhile, recently proposed reversing a long-standing policy that prevented city police from inquiring, in most cases, about a person's immigration status. It is currently under review.

Latino leaders say the actions risk alienating members of the local Hispanic community, both legal and illegal, making them more reluctant to report crimes and more likely to be subject to racial profiling by officers.

"I see a tremendous gulf opening up between the Hispanic community and the police department," said activist Santos Chavez.

"Instead of being at the forefront for civil rights in regards to minority issues, it has set back relations by 20 years. It's a sad day for Phoenix."

(Editing by Todd Eastham)

http://www.reuters.com/article/domestic ... dChannel=0