Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pulitzer Prize winning reporter Jose Vargas an illegal alien

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mom in Philippines told Vargas in US to keep quiet

By TERESA CEROJANO Associated Press
    Posted: 06/23/2011 10:35:16 AM MDT

MANILA, Philippines—The Filipino mother of a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who came out as an illegal immigrant in the U.S. told The Associated Press that she tried to persuade him to keep quiet.

Jose Antonio Vargas' mother, Emelie Salinas, sent him from the Philippines to live with his grandparents in California when he was 12 and has not seen him in person since.

She said in a telephone interview from her residence near Manila on Thursday evening that she worried about the consequences of his revelations to the U.S. media and tried to stop him, thinking all of his hard work and achievements might be wasted.

"We could not understand ... he was already there, he already achieved his dream, what else did he want?" she said.

At the end, she said she supported him because it was his choice.

Vargas, 30, who shared a Pulitzer Prize for coverage of the Virginia Tech massacre as a reporter for The Washington Post, says he didn't know about his citizenship status until four years after he arrived in the U.S., when he applied for a driver's permit and handed a clerk his green card.

"This is fake," a Department of Motor Vehicles clerk said, according to Vargas' account. "Don't come back here again."

Vargas confronted his grandfather, who acknowledged he purchased the green card and other fake documents.

Salinas, 53, a former office assistant, said that her son was ready for the consequences of his action—a possiblity of deportation—and has already obtained a Philippine passport.
    He has been wanting to see his family in the Philippines and has promised his younger sister, whose nursing education he is financing, that he would come home for her graduation next year, she said.

He also has a 14-year-old brother who he has only seen via the Internet.

"We are excited to see him," Salinas added. "I just hope he can come home with his documents in order."

When she sent him off to America, Salinas said she promised she would follow him and had applied several times for a U.S. visa but was denied.

She said that she felt her son resented her unfulfilled promise and for a time after he went to college, he seldom called or wrote letters. But she said they reconnected after he joined The Washington Post.

Salinas, who separated from Vargas' father when the boy was 3, said she could not afford to send her son to school in the Philippines. She said she sent him to his grandparents in the U.S. because like any mother, she wanted a good future for him.

"In the beginning, there were times I would think I wish I did not send him there, I wish we could be together especially during special occasions," she said. "But I saw what he was doing ... I saw that he was achieving his dreams, getting the things which he could not get here."

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_18338054
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 10-05-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Posted at 01:25 PM ET, 06/23/2011

What does Jose Antonio Vargas teach us about immigration?

By Ezra Klein
    Washington Post

What does Jose Antonio Vargas’s wrenching essay on life in America without legal residency actually tell us about the proper way to arrange immigration policy going forward?

Vargas is something of a special case. As a child sent to America, he had no agency in the decision to immigrate. Until age 16, when a DMV officer told him his papers were forged, he believed he was a legal resident. As a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist, he’s an extraordinarily high-achieving, driven individual. He’s sufficiently unusual that we should be leery of drawing overly broad conclusions from his experiences. What worked for him might not work for someone else.

Being overly lax about illegal immigration creates too many situations where immigrants who don’t have Vargas’s talent, his protectors or his luck mortgage everything they have to come here only to be deported shortly thereafter. Vargas could’ve been uprooted from everything he knows and sent back at 16. He could’ve been too scared to go to college or apply for good jobs and spent a lifetime unable to work to his potential. He could’ve been deported as an adult, taken from loving relationships and a home that’s really the only one he has ever known.

If any of that had happened, would the policy failure have been on the back end, when we deported him, or on the front end, when we made sending a child here illegally seem like a good idea? I’d say both, and that our policy, ultimately, has to reflect that.

My general take on immigration is that we need more legal immigration, better enforcement against illegal immigration, and more leniency toward illegal immigrants. Yes, we should have more immigrants, and yes, we should create a path to legalization for the immigrants who are already here, but the cost of that, I think, is going to be persuading Americans that the policy won’t result in vastly more illegal immigration. And that’s probably how it should be. We need a policy that recognizes that the problem — both for us and, potentially, for Vargas — was when Vargas was brought here illegally, not that, decades later, he’s still here, writing Pulitzer-prize winning articles and supporting his family and contributing to his adopted home.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezr ... _blog.html
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 10-05-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Vargas is something of a special case. As a child sent to America, he had no agency in the decision to immigrate. Until age 16, when a DMV officer told him his papers were forged, he believed he was a legal resident. As a Pulitzer-prize winning journalist, he’s an extraordinarily high-achieving, driven individual. He’s sufficiently unusual that we should be leery of drawing overly broad conclusions from his experiences. What worked for him might not work for someone else
    In other words, Vargars should get a pass because he won a Pulitzer and was a "high-achieving, driven individual."

Likely story coming from the paper that not only hired this invader, but champions the plight of all invaders in this country.

How did Vargas get a job at the Washington Post?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Added an article from above to the Homepage:
    http://www.alipac.us/article-6363--0-0.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Aaahhhh.......a new poster child for the Dream Amnesty lobby. How sweet. They will, of course, try to convince us that all illegal aliens are just like Mr. Vargas.

Did I understand correctly that Mr. Vargas is a felon who lied and provided false information to illegally obtain an Oregon DL?? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Not that it matters, because he is still an illegal alien, living and working illegally in this country, so he needs to get the he!! out. He can write journalistic articles from his country of origin.

Best of luck to you, Mr. Vargas, back in your home country. Maybe you can write about life as a re-patriated citizen there.

Edit: Correcting myself here: I thought that Mr. Vargas is a felon who lied and provided false information to illegally obtain an Oregon DL. I was wrong -- it was a Washington DL.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Journalist Reveals Gap In Wash. Driver License Resident Screening

Austin Jenkins | June 23, 2011

OLYMPIA, Wash. – A Pulitzer prize winning journalist who is in this country illegally managed to obtain a Washington driver license – even though he doesn't live in Washington. How did he do it?

This week in the New York Times Magazine, journalist Jose Antonio Vargas revealed himself as an illegal immigrant from the Philippines. Part of his story involves obtaining a Washington driver license earlier this year – even though he doesn't reside in the state.

Washington is one of two states that doesn't require proof of lawful presence in the country to get a driver license. But Washington does have a residency requirement.

So how did Vargas make it past that screening? Because, says Christine Anthony with Washington's Department of Licensing, he provided a valid Social Security number – one he admits he obtained fraudulently years ago.

"If someone already has a valid driver license from another state and a valid Social Security number and they come in and say that they're moving to this state and provide us an address that checks out," Anthony said, "then we assume that they're living here."

Licensing says because of staff limitations it focuses on the highest risk group for residency fraud – applicants without a Social Security number.

The agency has opened an investigation into Vargas' case.

http://news.opb.org
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by BillCunnane
    He is the perfect one to deport. High profile and it will send a message NO ONE will be immune from deportation if your here illegally.
    Good suggestion!
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Notice how he came out on his Illegal status AFTER Ice just announced their executive branch amnesty ???
    Good point.

The Reckless Folly of the "Undocumented Immigrant"

Michelle Malkin

June 24, 2011

With great fanfare and elite media sympathy, Jose Antonio Vargas publicly declared himself an "undocumented immigrant" this week. "Undocumented" my you-know-what. In the felony-friendly pages of The New York Crimes -- er, Times -- the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist turned illegal-alien activist spilled the beans on all the illegal IDs he amassed over the years. He had documents coming out of his ears.

The Times featured full-color photos of Vargas' fake document trove -- including a fake passport with a fake name, a fake green card and a Social Security card his grandfather doctored for him at a Kinko's. He committed perjury repeatedly on federal I-9 employment eligibility forms. In 2002, while pursuing his journalism career goals, an immigration lawyer told him he needed to accept the consequences of his law-breaking and return to his native Philippines.

Following the rules would have meant a 10-year bar to reentry into America. Making false claims of citizenship is a felony offense. Document fraud is a felony offense.

Vargas, who frames himself as a helpless victim, freely chose instead to secure yet more dummy documents. He used a friend's address to obtain an Oregon driver's license under false pretenses. It gave him an eight-year golden ticket to travel by car, board trains and airplanes, work at prestigious newspapers, and even gain access to the White House -- where crack Secret Service agents allowed him to attend a state dinner using his bogus Social Security number.

At least Vargas tells the truth when he says he's not alone. Go visit a 7-11 in the D.C. suburbs. Or the countless vendors in MacArthur Park in East L.A. Or any of the 19 cities in 11 states from Massachusetts to Ohio to Kentucky where a massive, Mexico-based "highly sophisticated and violent" fraudulent-document trafficking ring operated until February 2011. "Undocumented workers" and "undocumented immigrants" have plenty of documents.

The persistent use of these open-borders euphemisms to describe Vargas and countless millions like him is a perfect illumination of the agenda-driven, dominant progressive media.

They're as activist inside their newsrooms as Vargas is out in the open now. Bleeding-heart editors were hoaxed by a prominent colleague, exposed to liability, and yet still champion his serial subversion of the law. San Francisco Chronicle editor Phil Bronstein bragged that he was "duped" by Vargas, but endorses his "subterfuge" because Vargas' lobbying campaign for the illegal-alien student bailout known as the DREAM Act "just might lubricate the politically tarred-up wheels of government and help craft sane immigration policy."

Who's insane? The Vargas deceit is not an object lesson about America's failure to show compassion. It's another stark reminder of America's dangerous failure to learn from 9/11.

Time and again, security experts have warned about how jihadists have exploited lax immigration and ID enforcement. Driver's licenses are gateways into the American mainstream. They allow residents to establish an identity and gain a foothold into their communities. They help you open bank accounts, enter secure facilities, board planes, and do things like drive tractor-trailers carrying hazardous materials.

It's been nearly 10 years since several of the 19 9/11 hijackers operated in the country using hundreds of illicitly obtained fake driver's licenses and IDs. Most states tightened licensing rules, yet Vargas easily obtained a driver's license not only in Oregon, but more recently in Washington State. He again used a friend's residence to pass muster. Washington State's licensing bureaucracy still does not check citizenship. The man sitting in the White House campaigned to keep driver's license laws as loose as possible for the open-borders lobby. He appointed illegal-alien lobbyists to top federal immigration positions. His head of Immigration and Customs Enforcement just signed a memo pushing the DREAM Act through by administrative fiat. And the privacy of illegal aliens still trumps national security.

I ask again: Who's insane?

Vargas believes his sob story is an argument for giving up on immigration enforcement and passing a mass amnesty. It's a sob story, all right. Homeland security officials across the country should be weeping at the open mockery Vargas and his enablers have made of the law.

http://townhall.com

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRideIsOver
    Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by laughinglynx
    Just one more illegal doing a job an American won't do.

Are you sick of hearing that yet?
    YEP!

I'd feel a little twinge of sympathy if he was at least "in the system" trying to get legal. But he has done NOTHING because he hasn't had to.

We don't need any more journalists (mod edit) here anyway...

Deport him.
    What do (mod edit) have to do with any of this?? In my opionion, I find it offensive (mod edit) this site! Just my opinon, and I'll stick to illegal immigration, but to each his own.....
    Personally, I don't care( mod edit)not. I've had ( mod edit)s. I don't understand why this was even addressed here.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast