Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pulitzer Prize winning reporter Jose Vargas an illegal alien

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRideIsOver
    Quote Originally Posted by SicNTiredInSoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by laughinglynx
    Just one more illegal doing a job an American won't do.

Are you sick of hearing that yet?
    YEP!

I'd feel a little twinge of sympathy if he was at least "in the system" trying to get legal. But he has done NOTHING because he hasn't had to.

We don't need any more journalists (mod edit) here anyway...

Deport him.
    (mod edit) have to do with any of this?? In my opionion, I find it offensive ( mod edit)on this site! Just my opinon, and I'll stick to illegal immigration, but to each his own..... [/color]
    Im not "bashing" them and I don't care what "offends" you. But, do we need more here - especially illegally? Tired of defending my opinions to OBL's and those such as yourself who are overly sensitive (mod edit)
    I wasn't the first to bring it up - the illegal alien did. Im with you - it has nothing to do with his legal status, but if he's gonna bring it up (and OUT) first, then I have a right to voice my opinion about it. If he hadn't said anything - I'd have never known. Come to think of it - I've never even heard of this person until this morning.
    SicNTired -- Vargas might have used it to bait those people the Left likes to claim are bigoted towards many groups. (mod edit). He wouldn't have mentioned it, if he didn't want to purposely make it publicly known, especially in the same article about his illegal status, and to people whom he knew WOULD care about his illegal status. You hurt our cause and all of us with that comment. I don't think most ALIPACers care about someone's sexual orientation.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

has anyone reported mr vargas to INS?

Quote Originally Posted by bamissfa
    has anyone reported mr vargas to INS?
    Don't know. But Washington state is investigating him for not being a resident but claiming to be one to get his license.
    The agency has opened an investigation into Vargas' case.
    GO WASHINGTON
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Jose Vargas you can go back to the Philippines with any other illegal family members and do it the right way.

While you were making a mockery of America's immigration process and working, my Filipino relatives faced years of separation from their children and spent countless amounts of time and money immigrating legally. They immigrated, paid for their own college education and didn't need the Dream Act because they did it the right way.

Why don't you interview my relatives and let them tell you to your face about real hardships and the difficulties of legal immigration. Why don't you look them in the face and tell them how you have been cheating the system! I dare you! Look at them and say, I just got here on a lie and hopped on a plane.

I want you to interview my college educated friends from the Philippines, one was a doctor and his license was worthless when he got to the US. He had to work as a waiter and his wife took an entry level minimum wage job to make ends meet. And you have the nerve to whine about being tired and worried! Get off your pity party wagon! My friends lost entire college educations and careers to immigrate to the US!!!! You should interview my friends and tell them how you got a job as a journalist, while they worked in less becoming jobs that were beneath their skills. I dare you.

Yea, it's a personal issue for me!

I want to see Jose Vargas deported!

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You can read Vargas' SOB STORY here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/magaz ... wanted=all
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 10-05-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Northern California (moved back to fight for our land and freedom)
    Dixie, your story should be front page top-of-the-fold in every newspaper in this country. Thank you for sharing. And thank you for doing it the right way. There are thousands of Americans that love you for doing it right. You are part of what makes this country great.

The goober can go back to his native land and do it right too. He'll whine his way in the back door though. Taking a job an American or legal immigrant should have in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Jose Vargas you can go back to the Philippines with any other illegal family members and do it the right way.

While you were making a mockery of America's immigration process and working, my Filipino relatives faced years of separation from their children and spent countless amounts of time and money immigrating legally. They immigrated, paid for their own college education and didn't need the Dream Act because they did it the right way.

Why don't you interview my relatives and let them tell you to your face about real hardships and the difficulties of legal immigration. Why don't you look them in the face and tell them how you have been cheating the system! I dare you! Look at them and say, I just got here on a lie and hopped on a plane.

I want you to interview my college educated friends from the Philippines, one was a doctor and his license was worthless when he got to the US. He had to work as a waiter and his wife took an entry level minimum wage job to make ends meet. And you have the nerve to whine about being tired and worried! Get off your pity party wagon! My friends lost entire college educations and careers to immigrate to the US!!!! You should interview my friends and tell them how you got a job as a journalist, while they worked in less becoming jobs that were beneath their skills. I dare you.

Yea, it's a personal issue for me!

I want to see Jose Vargas deported!

Dixie
    You tell 'em Dixie. Thank you for sharing. Your family's story is phenomenal!
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

They were all born in Lago Wobegone, where every illegal is "por encima de lo mediano."

BARF
    “Claiming nobody is listening to your phone calls is irrelevant – computers do and they are not being destroyed afterwards. Why build a storage facility for stuff nobody listens to?.” Martin Armstrong

RELATED

Vargas' confession opens can of worms

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-241756.html
    Last edited by JohnDoe2; 10-05-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    NO AMNESTY

Yet another SOB opinion piece:

Pulitzer Prize winner's illegal immigrant story exposes tragedy of U.S. policy

BY Tamar Jacoby

Sunday, June 26th 2011, 4:00 AM

Jose Antonio Vargas

Nearly a decade later, Jose Antonio Vargas still remembers his grandfather's chilling advice. Vargas had been a star student in high school. He was doing well at college and was on his way to a prestigious summer internship at the Washington Post. But instead of pride and encouragement, his grandparents' reaction was panic. "While Lola [grandmother] offered daily prayers that I would not get caught," Vargas writes, "Lolo [grandfather] told me that I was dreaming too big, risking too much."

What made Vargas different: He was an unauthorized immigrant, and every step he took toward a successful life in America meant bigger risks, bigger lies and more dire unlawful acts.

This is not how it should be. It's not in America's interest, and it's not the kind of country I think we want to be.

Vargas' heart-wrenching story appears in today's edition of The New York Times Sunday magazine. He came to the U.S. from the Philippines when he was 12 years old. His mother, who could not get a visa, paid a smuggler to deliver him to his grandparents, naturalized citizens living in California. Vargas found out he was unauthorized by accident. When he was 16 years old, a DMV clerk told him his green card was a forgery. But this didn't stop him. He had already fallen in love with the English language. He knew he wanted to be a writer. He felt he had "something to contribute," and that if he worked hard and succeeded, "things [would] work out."

On the surface, they did work out - a long string of personal and professional triumphs. But the ever-better jobs, the plum assignments, the Pulitzer Prize he won while at the Washington Post, none of it eased Vargas' fear or guilt, and that gnawing anxiety: "What will happen if people find out?"

And so finally, rather than wait to be discovered, he decided to come out as an undocumented immigrant.

There's much that's deeply disturbing in his account, from what he had to do to obtain fraudulent documents to the way, all his life, he avoided getting too close to people for fear that he would have to tell them who he really was. But to me, nothing is more distressing than his grandfather's advice: Don't dream too big. Don't try too hard. Don't bother to succeed. Not only is it futile; in the end, you won't succeed. But it will only get you deeper into trouble.

Multiply this by 1.1 million - there are 1.1 million unauthorized children in the U.S. today - and you start to grasp the monumental waste of talent and initiative.

Even the toughest opponents of immigration recognize it would be impossible to deport the 11 million unauthorized foreigners now in the U.S. - if nothing else, think of the expense. Still, many restrictionists believe we can get rid of these workers and their families by making their lives so difficult that they leave voluntarily.

This strategy, known as "attrition through enforcement," calls for making it hard for people to work, to rent apartments, to drive legally and also for instilling fear of contact with teachers, nurses and the local police.

But what if the restrictionists are wrong? What if this doesn't work? Several states are trying: passing draconian enforcement laws designed to drive immigrants away. But even in Arizona, where the laws are toughest and have been on the books the longest, most people are not leaving - according to one estimate, fewer than 20% have moved away.

Put these facts together, and it isn't hard to imagine the long-term result. Of the 1.1 million unauthorized children in the country today, some will be driven out in coming years by attrition through enforcement.

Most will stay. And while some will succeed the way Vargas succeeded, most will listen to the advice of someone like his panicked grandfather. Discouraged by their prospects, bowed by the obstacles at every turn, frightened of attracting attention by doing well - as even the driven Vargas was at every job - they won't try as hard as they could try and won't advance as they might otherwise advance.

What a bitter irony. Immigration naysayers often claim that today's newcomers can't or won't assimilate. But if anything, in the case of these 1.1 million, it's the opponents of immigration reform who are squelching assimilation - dousing young people's dreams and preventing them from succeeding.

What will happen to Vargas now that he has confessed to multiple immigration crimes in a national newspaper? Do the authorities dare deport him? Do they dare not deport him? Either way, it won't undo the pointless waste or the incalculable damage we are doing to our future.

Tamar Jacoby is president of ImmigrationWorks USA, a national federation of small business owners advocating immigration reform.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/201 ... z1QQyX0iYp

Notice: The title in the link and in the actual paper read: 1.1 million Antonio Vargases
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast