Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Purdue group sees illegal immigration up close

Purdue group sees illegal immigration up close

Updated: May 20, 2008 02:48 PM PDT

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - A Purdue University group joined community members on a trip to the U.S.-Mexico border.

The 13 member group wanted to take a closer look at illegal immigration.

The group traveled to Nogales, Arizona, and Mexico on a bi-national program, called Border Links from May 11th to the 17th. Latino Cultural Center Director Maricela Alvarado said they want people here to know what the more than 12 million Hispanics go through to enter this country and why.

"It's estimated that there are about 50 thousand undocumented people in the state of Indiana," said Alvarado.

She said people who decide to cross into the United States from Mexico face tough situations.

"You know that they had to be pretty desperate to kind of cross over into the desert and walk two, three, four days without water possibly, and risk their lives," Alvarado said.

"These are desperate people. We've seen people that have wives dying of cancer in Mexico and they have no way of paying for it," said Ivan Hernandez, Director of Admissions at Ivy Tech.

Hernandez said the main reason immigrants cross the border illegally is for more money.

"They earn about $6 to $10 a day and they can get a job roofing or pick food for $5 or $6 an hour, $7 an hour and that's a lot more money that they could make," said Hernandez.

Hernandez said people headed into the U.S. are misled by illegal guides called coyotes. They are charged nearly $1,000 and sometimes left to die. He said some immigrants arrive in the United States, but are faced by border patrol, deported, and even jailed.

"They don't go to federal prisons, they go to private prisons. Private prisons don't have to have the same standards as federal prisons. So, in much cases they are a lot worse," Hernandez said.

Alvarado said the group plans to pose a few questions for this community.

"How can we work to help that population or better understand that population in order to provide humane services? We hope that we can do some presentations and some education on what is going on and also to be able to connect it to the Indiana population," Alvarado said.

Hernandez said he will also present what he learned to the community and student body at Ivy Tech.

"Report by Renetta DuBose, WLFI."

http://www.wlfi.com/global/story.asp?s=8355132
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

we've got desperate americans tryin to survive in America, so what's your point. i care for no other country but my own. no one cares for America but Americans. no more generousity for anyone that doesn't respect our soverienty. all illegals must leave my great nation and all un-Americans must get out of politics or be voted out we know who you are (clinton, obama and mcain, bush, kennedy, feinstein, craig, ect.)

Ever seen the roofing work of a $7 hr Illegal ? I have , it's not quality work same with their painting ,drywall etc . Point is We the Consumer are still charged the going rate and American's aren't working . It's all a bout Crooks and the Camber of Commerce . Who seems to be in bed with the main high profile pro-illegal groups .
    If we are to remind a Sovereign Nation our laws must be enforced and free taxpayers beneifits to law breakers stopped . Money for a few and the Nation pays for it ? Kiss my Grits
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

If they are desperate its because the Mexican government doesn't give a damn.

What I don't understand is why people aren't more critical of why people are so desperate to leave their own country? I mean, shouldn't more attention be made about the Mexican government and how they fail their own?
    ~~

May 26, 2008

Purdue Latino group gains human feel for the border

By LAKIN BROWN
    lbrown@journalandcourier.com

When Gilberto Corral Jr. traveled into the Sonora Desert along the Mexican border, he said he was hit by the harsh conditions faced by people attempting to cross into the United States.

"We were out there for not even an hour, and to feel the heat was incredible," said Corral, program coordinator for Purdue University's Latino Cultural Center.

"The terrain is very unforgiving, rocky with thorns and spikes, and it's difficult to think that people run through this at night or stay out here for days."

Corral was part of a group of 13 community members participating in "Humanigration," a trip organized by the Latino Cultural Center in conjunction with BorderLinks, a group based in Tucson, Ariz. The trip was the first of its kind for the Latino Cultural Center, with another planned for spring break next year.

The group was made up of three of the center's staff members, one Latino Cultural Center alumni board member, six Purdue students and three community members, including administrators at Purdue and Ivy Tech Community College.

"The purpose was to take students, faculty and community members down to the border to experience immigration issues firsthand and understand it better than through what the media feeds them," said Maricela Alvarado, Latino Cultural Center director.

"The reason we call it 'Humanigration' is because the trip does bring a strong human element that is left out when you hear debate using words like 'illegal alien.' "

The six-day trip included visits to Border Patrol members in Arizona, a visit to a maquiladora, or factory, in Nogales, Mexico, a visit to a jumping-off point for immigrants attempting to cross the border in Altar, Mexico, and a trip to a repatriation center in Mexico for recently deported children.

Those who participated said they had gained a deeper understanding of the issue.

Ivan Hernandez, director of admissions at Ivy Tech, said the experience changed the way he viewed the Border Patrol.

"One of the interesting things we saw was that by migrants and humanitarians they are basically seen as lifesavers," said Hernandez. "When we talked with the Border Patrol, they downplayed that role and talked more about combating terrorism and stopping the drug trade."

Mike Piggott, director of community relations and visitor information at Purdue, said the trip highlighted the complexity of the immigration issue.

"One boy asked us, 'Why won't you let us come in?' I didn't have an answer for him and I still don't," Piggott said. "I understand that we probably don't want just open borders. On the other hand, I don't have an answer for him."

www.jconline.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"One boy asked us, 'Why won't you let us come in?' I didn't have an answer for him and I still don't," Piggott said. "I understand that we probably don't want just open borders. On the other hand, I don't have an answer for him."
    Gutless Lib imo . Look at the little boy , if this is even true . Tell him we have laws just like Mexico does. I don't believe the question was even asked . SPP setup
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

"It's estimated that there are about 50 thousand undocumented people in the state of Indiana," said Alvarado.

I had to laugh. It is estimated by the state of Illinois, apparently, that there are more illegal aliens then that in Waukegan alone -62,000. We have a population of 91,000. Our schools are over 70% Latino, over 30% qualify for bilingual education (3.5% state wide)...

http://www.wps60.org/wpsd60/District.pdf

A police officer told me that he estimates 50% of our population has false documentation.

Reading this article made me all the more sad for Illinois. I'm reminded how far gone we are.

Who paid for this trip?? I could only bear skimming the article.

Why doesn't this 'humanwhatsit' group come to my town for a field trip...

The youth of our town have many active groups to join.

I will take the group out to lunch.

We can stop by here to pick up a few items and speak to Waukeganites.

If they like what they see they can buy a home here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Mike Piggott, director of community relations and visitor information at Purdue, said the trip highlighted the complexity of the immigration issue.

Here's your answer, Mr. Piggott (what a name!): "BECAUSE YOU NEED PERMISSION FROM THE US GOVT TO ENTER THE USA."

Can't believe this idiot is in charge of anything! Sheesh.
    PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH. PRESS 2 FOR DEPORTATION.

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar
    Hernandez said the main reason immigrants cross the border illegally is for more money.

"They earn about $6 to $10 a day and they can get a job roofing or pick food for $5 or $6 an hour, $7 an hour and that's a lot more money that they could make," said Hernandez.

This is great , we have people that live in squalor and our elected officials
    let them come to our country at the benefit to their business friends and live in poverty to lower your and my wages .
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn