Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Radio host quits over pro-illegal immigration views

http://www.sun-herald.com

05/12/06
    Radio host quits WENG

Art Cronk resigns over free speech issue

ENGLEWOOD -- Art Cronk, a 20-year veteran of News-Talk 1530 WENG, fought in the Vietnam War for his beliefs in freedom of speech.

Last week, those beliefs led to his resignation from the Englewood radio station.

Cronk, a former Marine, quit WENG Thursday after management told him to give both views of the illegal immigration story, Cronk said Thursday.

Cronk said he opposes amnesty for illegal immigrants and has voiced his opinions many times on his hour-long "Front and Center" program, which aired at 2:09 p.m. Monday through Thursday. During the program, Cronk recently asked his listeners to boycott any businesses that supported this month's immigrant boycott.

"You're here legally or you're here illegally," Cronk said. "I've always said if you're here legally, God bless you, I hope your American Dream comes true."

But after station management told him to provide pro-illegal immigrant views, Cronk said he had enough and walked away from radio for good.

Cronk said he believed station management received "outside pressure" to have him provide both views.

"You're not going to take away my First Amendment rights," Cronk said.

WENG officials declined to comment this week.

Cronk wasn't the only one who left the radio station.

Milspec Communication's Paul Zecchino, who filled in for WENG on-air hosts from time to time, said he has decided not to do business with WENG since Cronk's resignation.

Zecchino said he knew Cronk only professionally, but backed his program and his right to speak his mind.

"The bigger picture is censorship," Zecchino said. "At this point, I don't see how I can (return) in good faith."

Cronk's resignation leaves an on-air void, especially for area veterans, said Alan LaPergola, American Legion Post 113 house manager.

LaPergola said Cronk's show was extremely popular among veterans, partly because he continually used his program to collect goods to mail to soldiers overseas

Cronk himself donates thousands of dollars each year to help U.S. soldiers.

"He had a great show," LaPergola said. "It was controversial, but that's what a talk show is supposed to be. Veterans looked forward to him being on the air."

Said Zecchino, "This was a very popular guy. Considering popularity means listeners, listeners means ratings and ratings mean advertising dollars, I just can't understand it."

Cronk said he'll now spend his time fulfilling a life-long dream of visiting all 30 Major League Baseball stadiums. Since leaving WENG, he has already watched a game at Yankee Stadium.

But Cronk said he'd continue supporting U.S. soldiers.

"That will never stop," he said.

You can e-mail Gavin Off at goff@sun-herald.com.

By GAVIN OFF

Assistant Englewood Editor
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Good for him! I'd probably quit, too. This guy truly believes in what he was talking about on his show, no buying him out!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

At WENG we're serious about the Red, White and Blue.

News - Talk 1530
    The Information Station

Local On Air: (941) 460-1530
    Toll Free On Air: (88 434-1530

CORPORATE OFFICE: (573) 348-2778
    WENG OFFICE: (941) 474-3231
    WENG FAX: (941) 475-2205

WENG-AM 1530 kHz
    P.O. Box 2908
    Englewood, FL 34295

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They are coming after our talk radio hosts. We must defend them.

Added to the homepage

http://www.alipac.us/article-1215-thread-1-0.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

here is the radio stations web site if you want to let them know how you feel .

Area veterans boycott 1530 WENG advertisers I emailed The American Legion about doing same.

http://www.1530weng.com/