Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Readers weighing in on immigration reform

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/ne ... 590488.php

Sunday, February 25, 2007
    Readers weighing in on immigration reform
    DENA BUNIS
    Washington Bureau Chief
    The Orange County Register
    dbunis@ocregister.com

The fact that more than 50 people would comment on last weekend's story outlining the new Democratic majority's plans for immigration reform didn't surprise me.

But up until now almost all the feedback I've gotten over the years on immigration has been from readers who are concerned that the federal government has given up on enforcing our borders. Most has come from those speaking out against illegal immigration and opposing any move by Congress to allow undocumented workers to get any government benefit.

This time, in the e-mails, telephone messages and comments posted on our Web site, there's been a wider cross-section of opinion on both sides of the question.

This was by no means a scientific survey and I didn't log all the calls. But of the 40 comments on the Web site, 16 favored the kind of comprehensive bill that Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-San Jose, talked about in the question and answer piece that ran in last Sunday's paper. That's still posted on the Nation/World page at ocregister.com.

Kennedy and Lofgren are chairing the subcommittees on immigration in the House and Senate and will be prime movers in whatever – if anything – happens legislatively.

Twenty-four of the statements posted opposed anything that would give benefits to illegal immigrants. One caller who opposes what Kennedy and Lofgren want to do upbraided me for not including a Republican in last Sunday's story. Since he didn't leave a number, I couldn't call him back to explain that almost exactly two years ago I did a similar piece where I presented the views of Sen. John Cornyn, the Texas Republican who headed the immigration subcommittee in the 109th Congress, and Rep. James Sensenbrenner, the Wisconsin Republican who was then House Judiciary Committee chairman.

"I support the immigration reform. It's time for people to come out of the shadow," wrote Alex, who, like most of the posters, didn't give his full name.

On the other side, "rwr" wrote:

"There's only one solution for this problem – deport every Mexican national thug in our country's borders. I've had it with illegals."

When Congress returns from recess this week, Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., will hold a hearing on comprehensive immigration reform. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez are the scheduled witnesses.

This will be the first public manifestation of the political strategizing on this issue that has been going on behind the scenes for months. Senate supporters of this bill want to get the largest possible bipartisan vote. The larger the Senate vote, the more momentum the legislation would have in the House.

The House never debated the broad issue last year. Republican leaders – and Orange County's five GOP members – believed that the first order of business when it comes to immigration should be to fortify the border and stop any new illegal immigration.

Some said once the border were secure, they'd entertain a new guest-worker program and even a plan to deal with the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants here. Others said they would never support such items. But we were never sure how many Republicans felt that way and how many would, in fact, support President Bush's comprehensive view and vote for a broad immigration fix.

Lofgren hopes to give that debate a shot this year.

But House Democrats have a dicey road ahead. Some House Democrats – particularly freshman members elected from the heartland – don't seem sold on the kind of overhaul Kennedy and Lofgren are pushing.

So things are likely to move slowly but deliberately.

Look for the Judiciary Committee to send a bill to the floor before the April recess. Then, if all goes according to plan in the committee, a measure would go to the Senate floor after that break.

If something passed in the Senate, the House would start working its will.

Orange County's GOP representatives have vowed to do all they can to stop a House bill. But if House leaders can get enough votes to pass something within striking distance of whatever the Senate does, advocates of this approach hope they can be sitting in on conference meetings between the House and Senate sometime this fall.

It's a long way from here to there and what I've just outlined is the best- or worst-case scenario, depending on your point of view.

One thing seems clear, though, from having been in this town for a decade now. Lawmakers are more likely to tackle a tough issue like immigration if they believe their constituents want them to. They judge that by the communications they get from those they represent and, frankly, from how much space and time these issues get in the media.

So keep those comments coming.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

When Congress returns from recess this week, Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., will hold a hearing on comprehensive immigration reform. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez are the scheduled witnesses.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Well, Gutierrez and Chertoff that says it all doesn't it, we wouldn't want these people to get the other sides point of view, like how much damage this is doing to our country, no, will have to hear Bush's addage that we can't close the border with out a guest worker program, or what can we do with 12million people, we can't arrest them!! Well then get out and we will find someone who can!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

The fact that more than 50 people would comment on last weekend's story outlining
    Strange occurance, 10 people or 20% were lost from the summary.

But of the 40 comments on the Web site, 16 favored the kind of comprehensive bill
    If you use 40 people, 16 turns out to be about 40%

However, if you use 55 since it is stated that more than 50 commented, then 16 represents 29%.

Any way you spin it, Teddy's plan is not what the majority of America wants.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

There is no way I believe most Americans are for Teddy's amnesty bill he will try and push. But he obviously doesn't care about that. The last I heard the public's support of the senate is around 26%. The house will be another story thank goodness. As for our so-called president, he's hopeless.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

But up until now almost all the feedback I've gotten over the years on immigration has been from readers who are concerned that the federal government has given up on enforcing our borders. Most has come from those speaking out against illegal immigration and opposing any move by Congress to allow undocumented workers to get any government benefit.
    I'm not one of the "readers" cause I have said that they have not done anything to secure our borders other than talk. You can't give up a thing you never truly attempted, not some snow job full of words, rhetoric and empty comprehensive means of avoidance in order to continue fattening bank accounts.

Can't even digest the RED. Maybe if it were - illegal aliens have absolutely no right to any and all government benefits.