Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Reconquesta Meets to Discuss Effects of Colorado Laws

http://cbs4denver.com/seenon/local_story_029085532.html -

Jan 29, 2007 6:38 am US/Mountain

Latinos Meet To Discuss Effects Of Colorado Laws
    Latino Leaders Say Immigration Laws Hurt Legal Residents

Terry Jessup
    Reporting

(CBS4) DENVER Latino leaders from across Colorado met in Denver Sunday to talk about economic justice and civil rights.

The group said new state laws aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration haven't stopped the flow of illegal immigrants from Mexico.

The meeting said the new laws have served to harass Latinos who are in the United States legally.

"We're calling on the poorest of our citizens and the poorest of our residents to produce driver's licenses many of them don't have, to produce ID's that many of them don't have, to spend money that they should be spending on food and clothing to prove their identity," said Polly Baca of the Latin American Research & Service.

Latino groups estimate there are between 225,000 to 275,000 undocumented immigrants currently living in Colorado.

"We passed more laws on this subject last year than any other state in America, now our job is one, to make sure those laws are working, and two, to redouble the pressure on Congress to deliver comprehensive reform," said state Rep. Andrew Romanoff, D-Denver (Speaker of the House).

Romanoff was one of several lawmakers at Sunday's conference.

"It's probably the most political and emotional issue that I've face in 7 years I've been in the legislature, but it can be solved," he said.

The meeting continues Monday at the Adam's Mark Hotel in downtown Denver.

(© MMVII CBS Television Stations, Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Waaaaaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaaaa! If illegal criminals don't like the way they are "being treated" then they can go home. They don't have the rights of citizens because they are not citizens of America.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

April
    "We're calling on the poorest of our citizens and the poorest of our residents to produce driver's licenses many of them don't have, to produce ID's that many of them don't have, to spend money that they should be spending on food and clothing to prove their identity," said Polly Baca of the Latin American Research & Service

YA gotta be kidding!!!! I don't even have words to say how disgusted I am!!!!!! I need a puking smiley to put right ________here!!!!

Banned
    The meeting said the new laws have served to harass Latinos who are in the United States legally.

"We're calling on the poorest of our citizens and the poorest of our residents to produce driver's licenses many of them don't have, to produce ID's that many of them don't have, to spend money that they should be spending on food and clothing to prove their identity," said Polly Baca of the Latin American Research & Service.
    If they are here legally, what's the problem? They should have the same documents everybody else has. Why is this harassment?

Here's a Waaaaaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaaaa! for you Dixie!

I'm sure glad to see them crying and not us!!