Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rep. Jones seeks tougher immigration laws

Rep. Walter Jones is urging congressional leaders to create tougher regulations to curtail the influx of illegal immigrants into the United States.

Jones said federal officials are not doing enough to prevent illegals from entering the country. They cost taxpayers an enormous amount of money each year and can pose a danger to national security, he added.

Jones is a member of the House Immigration Caucus. He said federal authorities need to do more to enforce existing laws designed to stop the thousands of immigrants who enter the country illegally each week -- and consider new measures to help control the problem.

"At this point, we have not -- this administration or the previous one -- enforced the laws by the book," Jones said.

Jones, a Republican who represents the 3rd Congressional District, said he has urged congressional leaders to adopt stricter immigration regulations. He said he also has tried to keep his constituents informed of the dangers of not protecting the nation's borders.

"People violating the law must suffer the consequences," he said. "The administration needs to demand that the laws be enforced. This is a national security issue. There are 8,000 to 10,000 illegals that come into our country every week. How do you know who's coming in? One of them could be a terrorist."

In particular, Jones said this country should reject any notion of amnesty for illegal immigrants. The provision would allow those illegals who are already in the country to earn "legal" status if they reveal themselves and sign up for a work visa that allows them to be in the country temporarily.

"I am adamantly opposed (to amnesty). We cannot reward someone for violating the law. If you grant amnesty to an illegal immigrant, you are rewarding a violation of our laws," Jones said.

In a letter written Wednesday to House Judiciary Chairman James Sensenbrenner Jr., Jones said amnesty disguised as a guest-worker program does nothing to slow the flow of illegal immigrants.

"In 1986, Congress passed the Immigration Reform and Control Act giving amnesty to all illegal aliens who had been in the country four years or more or were illegally working in agriculture. As a result, 2.8 million illegal aliens were admitted as legal immigrants to the United States. Currently, there are approximately 8 to 12 million illegal aliens residing in this country," Jones said in the letter. "Obviously, amnesty programs do not work."

Before the country considers implementing a guest-worker program, U.S. leaders should consider the options of increasing border security and interior enforcement, he said.

Last month, Jones voted in favor of legislation aimed at increasing border security by demanding accountability of employers that hire illegal immigrants or smuggle them into the country. Some of those illegal workers join gangs, he said. Resolution, which also confronts the problem of the gangs, has passed the House and awaits consideration in the Senate.

Jones has co-sponsored at least eight resolutions that would secure national borders, limit the influx of illegal immigrants and provide the Department of Homeland Security with additional defense in protecting the borders.

He added that government could help the Department of Homeland Security by authorizing a militia to watch borders, providing military forces when necessary and training 2,000 new border agents.

Although there are many law-abiding immigrants working toward becoming naturalized citizens, Jones said many others are costing taxpayers millions of dollars every year.

"This is a national problem," Jones said.

By Andrew Bell
    Published in News on January 29, 2006 02:02 AM

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/ ... ndex.shtml
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I like Walter B. Jr and his dad was a good congressman.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wonder if he is interested in running for Governor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    Wonder if he is interested in running for Governor ?
    I hope so! I like Walter B. Jones too even though he doesn't represent the district I live in. I sure wish he did. I've got an NC Democrat that is lousy on immigration issues.

At times during the past few months when I've made calls to all NC Congress on immigration issues, when I call Congressman Jones' office they are always helpful and supportive. Out of the NC Congress house Republicans, all (but perhaps one who is somewhat or mostly supportive) are great on immigration enforcement issues. On the other hand, all of the NC Congress House Democrats are very bad. I am truly disgusted that after living in NC for 20 years and registered as a Democrat that I actually supported these NC Democrat Dummies with my votes. Some NC Democratic names I now see employed in Congress, well, I remember them when they were State reps too - dummy me for having actually voted for them years ago. I certainly won't make this mistake in the future of voting for any member that encourages illegal immigration. Those who do can all kiss my A**!
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Walter B. Sr. was my rep before I moved to the beach years ago. Now I have Mike McIntrye who seems supportive in the fight on illegal immigrations for a demo.

Mike McIntyre! Yes! This name rings a bell. I believe he is one of the Republicans but the one I mentioned out of all the NC house that doesn't ALWAYS vote against illegal immigration. Maybe I'm wrong. Please let me know. Still, The NC Congress Dems are the worst. I'm truly disgusted with the whole lot of them. Then, of course are the two Senators, Burr and Dole. They are not much better. Burr used to be better, I believe. I don't know as I've only become involved with contacting politicians in the past several months.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

Quote Originally Posted by noillegalimmigrationannie
    Mike McIntyre! Yes! This name rings a bell. I believe he is one of the Republicans but the one I mentioned out of all the Rep. NC house that doesn't ALWAYS vote against illegal immigration. Maybe I'm wrong. Please let me know. Still, The NC Congress Dems are the worst. I'm truly disgusted with the whole lot of them. Then, of course are the two Rep. NC Senators, Burr and Dole. They are not much better. Burr used to be better, I believe. I don't know as I've only become involved with politics in the past few months or the past year. I think most of the whole lot of them in Congress need to get the boot! Not only the NC ones, but the other ones from the rest of the 49 US States, and especially the Senators rather than the House.

Let's kick most of em' out on their fannies in upcoming elections!
    Mike is a domcrate, but I don't hold that agin him. He does good. I fear that old Burr got to close to Dole and some of/or a lot of the dumbness rubbed off on him.

Oops! Mike McIntyre is a Democrat. I forgot. It's hard to keep these congresscritters separated if they aren't actually representing my district. After calling numerous times many NC congress, I'm having a hard time keeping the Dems from the Reps separated in some circumstances, usually because I expect in most cases the Dems favor illegal aliens and the Reps. oppose. The true reason however, is I don't expect much from either party anymore in representing the welfare of American citizens. There are exceptions. Then, the parties strangely do a flip flop on free trade agreements and outsourcing of American jobs. This isn't always cut and dry between party either, but I do notice a trend and don't get what on earth the connection could be in voting one way for American workers and on the other hand, voting against American workers. I'm clueless

You know in stead of us having to worry about what they think... it is suppose to be they need to worry about what we think. It would sure make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    You know in stead of us having to worry about what they think... it is suppose to be they need to worry about what we think. It would sure make it easier.
    I agree 100%! Who pays their salaries? They should listen to us not the other way. Still, I was a moron not to remember who is and who is not representing the American people in congress. I just get so sick when I hear about their high salaries and benefits while many American citizens are struggling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast