Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Rep. Kingston: End Child Tax Credits for Illegal Aliens

Thursday, 01 Aug 2013 03:18 PM
    By Melanie Batley and John Bachman
    newsmax.com

Rep. Jack Kingston has introduced a bill to stop illegal immigrants from receiving child tax credits saying the current system is "absurd" and riddled with fraud.

In an exclusive interview with Newsmax TV, the Georgia Republican said the measure could save the taxpayer between $3 billion and $4 billion a year at a time when lawmakers are trying to find ways to decrease the size of the deficit.

"What has happened is that illegal aliens have been given the right to claim child tax credit and it's so bad that one guy in Indianapolis was discovered he had claimed 20 children and 19 of them lived back in Mexico — a cost of $29,000 a year to taxpayers," he said.

"It's just absurd. This is a commonsense bill and it really should just fly through the floor of the House," Kingston said.

Kingston acknowledged the bill will likely face criticism from Democrats, as a similar bill did in 2012, but said in today's political environment Democrats will use any opportunity to attack Republicans.

"What we have seen, starting with this president in the White House, is that anytime that the Democrats don't have logic and fact on their side they argue emotions. So Republicans are always painted as people who hate children, hate education, hate seniors, don't like the poor, don't like the elderly, and we can't walk around Washington being shell-shocked as Republicans," he said.

"We have to try to say, 'You know what, what's right is right and this is a commonsense reform and we understand you're going to call us all kinds of names because you can't argue with the logic of it,'" Kingston said.

Kingston said if the measure doesn't get passed as a freestanding bill on the floor, it will be added on to the larger immigration reform legislation.

In the wide-ranging interview, Kingston also discussed his bid for seat of retiring Sen. Saxby Chambliss and the crowded field of Republicans he's facing in the primary, but said he "welcomes the competition" and touted his "solid conservative track record."

"This isn't the time for Georgia to send a rookie to the U.S. Senate… I'm somebody who's known for getting things done… I can hit the ground running in the Senate and a lot of people who are offering themselves to this office are air-dropped," he said.

Kingston added, "I look forward to the challenge of a good competitive competition in terms of this race. It's six or seven people and counting, you know that's what the free market of ideas is all about. I welcome the competition."

If he wins, Kingston will likely face Democrat Michelle Nunn, whose father Sam Nunn once held the seat and was very popular, but Kinston doesn't believe that will affect his chances of success.

"I come from a Democratic part of the state," he said. "I have proven that you can be a solid conservative and still attract swing voters and the reason is because I am known for getting things done."

He added that the kinds of policies he has promoted in the House, such as the widening and deepening of the Savannah Harbor, connect with a lot of people in the state regardless of their party affiliation.

Kingston, as chairman of the House Labor, Health, and Human Services Committee, also discussed Obamacare and his determination to defund the healthcare program, despite already having voted 40 times to repeal it in the House.

"If it takes 100 times, let's get the job done. And sometimes in a divided society and a divided government, that's what you have to do. But it's very important for us to keep pushing because Obamacare just isn't about bringing down the standards of healthcare and raising the cost of it," says Kingston.

"It's actually about you and I losing a lot of our personal freedoms and a lot of our choices. I don't want to have a bureaucrat in the room with me when I see my doctor."

http://www.newsmax.com/US/kingston-t...8/01/id/518280
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn