Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Report: Border Camera Tests Show Little

Jan 7, 4:40 PM EST

Report: Border Camera Tests Show Little

EL PASO, Texas (AP) -- A test run of a Web site allowing users to monitor the Mexican border helped authorities catch 10 illegal immigrants of the more than 12,000 who officials said were apprehended in November, a newspaper reported Sunday.

The El Paso Times obtained state reports about the results of the November trial of Gov. Rick Perry's Texas Border Watch online camera program. Through a public records request, the newspaper also received a sampling of the 14,800 e-mails viewers sent through the Web site.

The Web site also helped authorities make one drug bust and interrupt a smuggling route, the newspaper said.

During its test run Nov. 3 through Nov. 30, the site received nearly 28 million hits. About 220,000 users are registered on the site.

During the test, eight to 12 cameras along Texas' 1,200-mile border with Mexico operated in four counties, said Texas Homeland Security Director Steve McCraw.

McCraw said some e-mail reports helped law enforcers chase back people who were trying to cross illegally.

State officials said making apprehensions wasn't the goal of the camera tests. The point was to see whether the idea was feasible - and whether the software and technology worked, McCraw said.

But some lawmakers said the results made them doubt the efficiency of Perry's plan to put $5 million worth of cameras on the border. He is to ask lawmakers to approve the money during the legislative session beginning Tuesday.

The tests cost $200,000.

"It seems to me that $20,000 per undocumented worker is a lot of money," said state Rep. Norma Chavez, an El Paso Democrat.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/ ... SECTION=US
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

I checked out the website today, because Texas never responded to me when I tried to sign up, and it says the website is shut down. I think it actually makes a reference to the "test" being a success or something...
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

So much for the "virtual fence"!!

virtual fence equal actual BS!!! Build the double walled barrier, get two birds with one project. Prevent poverty and terrorism at the same time.
    We are NOT a nation of immigrants!