Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jean
  • 2 Post By vistalad

Thread: Republicans Continue to Lurch Right on Immigration

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

  1. #1
    Administrator Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    65,430

    Republicans Continue to Lurch Right on Immigration

    May 20, 2015
    By Alan Rappeport

    Staring at startling exit polls after a beating by President Obama in 2012, Republicans vowed they were finally ready to do something about immigration reform or risk further alienating Hispanic voters.

    But two-and-a-half years later they have seem to have decided to lurch to the right on the issue.

    In interviews on Fox News this week, three Republican White House hopefuls did their best to assure potential primary voters that “amnesty” would not happen on their watch.

    On Monday, Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey told Megyn Kelly that a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants was an “extreme way to go” and explained why he has changed his view on the issue.

    “I think I have learned over time about this issue and done a lot more work on it,” Mr. Christie said. “I think everyone has to do what you need to do to be able to get educated on these issues and learn.”

    Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin also defended his new and harder line on immigration to Fox’s Bret Baier.

    In 2013, Mr. Walker said that a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants “makes sense” and that he wants people from anywhere in the world to come to America and work hard. However, on Tuesday night he said that he was against amnesty and that illegal immigrants who live in the United States must go back to their countries of origin and apply for citizenship if they want legal status.

    “You gotta secure the border, we gotta enforce the law,” Mr. Walker said, arguing that protecting American workers must be a priority in any immigration reform plan.

    Those shifting perspectives on immigration follow a more nuanced change of heart from Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, who explained on Fox News Sunday this week why he has backed off the comprehensive immigration reform legislation that he had helped push through the senate.

    “You also have to deal with the reality that in the political process, people are going to vote based on what they’re hearing from their constituents and others,” Mr. Rubio said. “And that’s what I’m basically saying, is the votes are not there for comprehensive immigration reform.”

    Bowing to political realities, Mr. Rubio, who says he still wants to change the immigration system, is now among those who say the focus should be on border security.

    “If we want to move forward on immigration, the first thing we’re going to have to do is prove to the American people that future illegal immigration is under control,” he said.

    http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...igration/?_r=0
    Judy likes this.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  2. #2
    Senior Member vistalad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    “If we want to move forward on immigration, the first thing we’re going to have to do is prove to the American people that future illegal immigration is under control,” he said.
    The best way to get immigration under control is to enact Universal E-Verify.

    Most illegals sneak into our country, to get better jobs or better pay for the jobs that they are already doing in their own countries. Shut off the jobs magnet and we shut off most illegal entry in to the United States.
    *************************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

    American jobs for American workers

    Fair trade, not free trade
    Judy and Jean like this.

  3. #3
    MW
    MW is offline
    Senior Member MW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,716
    Quote Originally Posted by vistalad View Post
    The best way to get immigration under control is to enact Universal E-Verify.

    Most illegals sneak into our country, to get better jobs or better pay for the jobs that they are already doing in their own countries. Shut off the jobs magnet and we shut off most illegal entry in to the United States.
    *************************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

    American jobs for American workers

    Fair trade, not free trade
    Excerpt:
    Gov. Walker concluded with the need to increase interior enforcement as well.
    Then I think you need to enforce the law and the way you effectively do that is to require every employer in America to use an effective E-Verify system and by effective I mean you need to require particularly small businesses and farmers and ranchers. We got to have a system that works, but then the onus is on the employers and the penalties have to be steep that they’re only hiring people who are here, who are legal to be here. No amnesty, if someone wants to be a citizen, they have to go back to their country of origin and get in line behind everybody else who’s waiting.
    https://www.numbersusa.com/news/gov-...erican-workers

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  4. #4
    Senior Member Judy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    55,883
    Quote Originally Posted by vistalad View Post
    The best way to get immigration under control is to enact Universal E-Verify.

    Most illegals sneak into our country, to get better jobs or better pay for the jobs that they are already doing in their own countries. Shut off the jobs magnet and we shut off most illegal entry in to the United States.
    *************************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

    American jobs for American workers

    Fair trade, not free trade
    An additional way is to pass the FairTax that gives American Workers a significant comparative advantage over illegal aliens who will find it much more difficult under the FairTax to undercut our workers on pay and benefits, because US citizens and legal residents are eligible for a rebate whereas illegal aliens are not, which means Americans have a much greater expendable income at a certain wage where illegal aliens would have far less.

    Keep it in mind. FairTax Act of 2015, HR 25 in the US House of Representatives and S 155 in the US Senate.

    The FairTax also levels the playing field between domestic producers and foreign producers and provides a negative incentive to purchase imports over US products since all new goods and services are taxed the same, plus many foreign imports are still charged tariffs at the port of entry in addition to the FairTax charge at the final point of retail sale, which when combined gives our US producers a distinct comparative advantage.
    Last edited by Judy; 05-20-2015 at 07:13 PM.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  5. #5
    MW
    MW is offline
    Senior Member MW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    An additional way is to pass the FairTax that gives American Workers a significant comparative advantage over illegal aliens who will find it much more difficult under the FairTax to undercut our workers on pay and benefits, because US citizens and legal residents are eligible for a rebate whereas illegal aliens are not, which means Americans have a much greater expendable income at a certain wage where illegal aliens would have far less.

    Keep it in mind. FairTax Act of 2015, HR 25 in the US House of Representatives and S 155 in the US Senate.

    The FairTax also levels the playing field between domestic producers and foreign producers and provides a negative incentive to purchase imports over US products since all new goods and services are taxed the same, plus many foreign imports are still charged tariffs at the port of entry in addition to the FairTax charge at the final point of retail sale, which when combined gives our US producers a distinct comparative advantage.
    Just say 'NO' to the so-called fair tax plan.

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,185
    Quote Originally Posted by vistalad View Post
    The best way to get immigration under control is to enact Universal E-Verify.

    Most illegals sneak into our country, to get better jobs or better pay for the jobs that they are already doing in their own countries. Shut off the jobs magnet and we shut off most illegal entry in to the United States.
    *************************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

    American jobs for American workers

    Fair trade, not free trade

    I am a fan of David Cameron', British PM, plan of confiscating illegal aliens wages, as well as some of his other ideas.

Similar Threads

  1. House Republicans Vow to Continue Battle Against Immigration Measures
    By Jean in forum illegal immigration News Stories & Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 06:52 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 11:12 AM
  3. Republicans: We Did Not Rehire you to continue business as u
    By AirborneSapper7 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 09:12 PM
  4. TN: Immigration raids continue
    By zeezil in forum illegal immigration News Stories & Reports
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
  5. Citizens left in the lurch
    By Crusader01 in forum illegal immigration News Stories & Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2006, 09:54 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •