http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,640189526,00.html

Deseret Morning News, Sunday, June 25, 2006

John Jacob's responses to News candidate questionnaire

Complete responses of 3rd Congressional District candidate John Jacob to the Deseret Morning News questionnaire:

1. The House recently passed a bill to crack down on illegal immigration through tighter border security and tougher enforcement. Do you think this bill alone would be effective? Why or why not?

Although this bill is a first step, it alone does not solve the problem of illegal immigration. The key problem we've witnessed over the last 10 years has without a doubt been enforcement of the laws we already have in place. This bill has the potential to be very promising but regardless of how impressive a piece of legislation may seem, if we don't have elected officials who will provide the tools and resources to enforce it, we cannot expect it to solve the overwhelming problem of illegal immigration.

2. The Senate recently passed a bill that, along with enforcement, would grant many of the nation's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants an eventual path to citizenship, along with creating new pathways for immigration. Do you think this bill alone would be effective? Why?

This bill is ineffective and insufficient at best. It would automatically grant amnesty to over 12 million illegal immigrants while law-abiding applicants wait in their home countries for years before entering the United States. We cannot reward those who break the law. The bill fails to address the root problems associated with the illegal immigration crisis and underhandedly tries to appease both the lawful and unlawful immigrant. A much more assertive, principled approach must be taken.

3. What are the top three elements needed for an effective immigration reform?

First and foremost, secure our borders. You can't expect to fix a leaky boat without first stopping up the hole. Second, although some may be fighting to create an expedited pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants, we must obey the laws that are already in place until we establish new laws. Third, we must provide tools that allow and require businesses to hire legal, documented workers. Businesses should not be unduly burdened to enforce the laws but they should be expected to obey them.

4. President Bush has added National Guard troops to patrol the border with Mexico. What will be the most effective tools for securing the border, troops, walls, technology, and what should be done first?

Because border security is such a crucial element in the effort to manage illegal immigration, a combination of all three will be essential in sufficiently securing our borders. The first troops that were called to protect our southern border were from the Utah National Guard. Since then, many have volunteered to the cause. This speaks to the valor and the honor of our troops. Our soldiers are engaged in a just cause and deserve adequate resources and proper funding.

5. What is your definition of amnesty?

Regarding immigration, amnesty is any process or legislation that grants a pathway to citizenship to those who have illegally crossed our borders without first requiring them to return to their country of origin. It is a mass-pardon for lawbreakers and serves as a disadvantage to those who are legally seeking the American dream. We must not reward people who have crossed our borders illegally. In short, amnesty is looking the other way while a crime is being committed.

6. Do you think that allowing illegal immigrants a way to adjust their status is key to any workable immigration reform? Why?

If a "change in status" means returning to their country of origin to go about the proper channels of applying for legal residency in the U.S. — yes. But the application process must be done from their country of origin. Immigration reform will never be "workable" if we continue to disregard our own laws and haphazardly try to turn wrong into right. Requiring a consistent application process is the only way to be equitable across the board to all immigrants seeking entrance into America.

7. With regard to comprehensive immigration reform, what specifically should be done with the 12 million or more illegal immigrants in this country? Should they be forced to leave the United States? If so, is it feasible? How should that be done and how will it be funded and what process would you suggest for the return of some to the American workforce? If not, how could that be done without encouraging others considering illegal immigration from coming to the United States in hopes they'll be allowed to stay, too?

All illegal immigrants currently residing in the United States must return to their country of origin before applying for legal status. This can be accomplished through attrition — not an unreasonable massive deportation. Again, we must first secure our borders. We cannot talk about coping with the 12 million while hundreds more flood into the country daily. The catalyst to an effective attrition plan is enabling businesses to employ only legal workers. Congress must give businesses the tools to determine whether an applicant is legal and then require mandatory verification. Once we dry up the employment opportunities for undocumented workers, they will take themselves back across the border. Removing the incentives will not only result in self-deportation of illegal immigrants, but will also discourage those considering illegal immigration from attempting to enter the country.

8. Utah has a law that provides in-state tuition to illegal immigrants who attended high school for three years in the state and graduated. It also has a law that provides driver's licenses to illegal immigrants. What is your position on those two laws?

I disagree completely. Both of these laws are magnets that attract illegal immigrants to Utah's communities. These undocumented immigrants erode our tax base taking advantage of our educational and medical resources. The practice of in-state tuition and driving privileges to illegal immigrants is nothing more than rewarding people who break the law.

9. Utah's Senators are split on the issue of a constitutional amendment to protect the flag. What is your position?

While our freedom of speech is among our most precious assets, there are times it must be bridled. Men and women have put their lives in harm's way to protect the freedom and liberty our flag represents. It is a disservice to desecrate this symbol of their sacrifice. I would fully support the will of the people on an amendment that would protect the flag physically and symbolically.

10. The Senate recently voted on a constitutional amendment on traditional marriage. What is your position?

I wholeheartedly support an amendment that would constitutionally define marriage between a man and a woman. The sanctity of marriage and the traditional family are the foundations of our society and must be preserved and respected.

11. As gasoline prices continue to rise, what do you believe Congress should do to improve America's energy situation?

We must develop the resources in our own backyard in order to reduce our dependence on foreign resources. We can now safely and efficiently extract natural resources in places like Utah and Alaska without disrupting wildlife or threatening the surrounding ecosystems. We lament our dependence on foreign oil, yet there has not been a new oil refinery built in the United States in over 30 years. Our federal government must do whatever it can to encourage private development of our domestic natural resources as well as provide incentives to develop alternative energy resources.

12. What should the government's policy be with regard to developing oil discovered in Utah?

Utah's oil shale reserves represent just one component of a source of energy that can and should be developed in order to reduce our dependence on foreign natural resources. It is estimated that Utah contains more oil than Texas. Congress should be doing everything in its power to encourage and assist the extraction of the nearly 1.8 trillion barrels of oil and the estimated 1 trillion barrels of oil shale that are located in Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado.

13. Many believe No Child Left Behind has damaged Utah schools. What can be done to improve education in the state and the nation?

No Child Left Behind, which my opponent supported, attempted to put Washington bureaucrats in charge of our classrooms, rather than the parents and teachers who know how to best educate our children. Because every student learns differently, any federal legislation that attempts to mandate testing as a means to gage student progress fails to improve our education system. Education needs to be placed back into the hands of the states, local school districts, parents, students and teachers.

14. The U.S. is now running huge budget deficits. How would you deal with this problem?

Over the past 10 years while my opponent has been in office, the federal budget deficit has risen from $22 billion to over $400 billion. Clearly, spending in Washington has run amuck and must be curbed. We must balance the budget, prioritize where the federal government spends our money, give more control back to the state, and we remove programs that aren't working.

15. What is the one personal trait/characteristic that you want voters to know about you and why is that important in this race?

Integrity. Theodore Roosevelt said, "To teach a man in mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society." Our elected officials must not only posses the intelligence and aptitude to navigate the political labyrinth, but also must possess the integrity and moral capital to do what is right regardless of whether it is easy. At this crucial intersection in history, we don't need people who equivocate. Integrity is the ability to lead according to values and principles rather than to pressure, power or impulses. I commit to the voters of Utah's 3rd Congressional District that I will support an agenda of integrity, not an agenda of convenience. I pledge to each constituent that I will represent them with the utmost responsibility and integrity.

16. Why would you be a better Congressman than your opponent?

I will be accessible. I will listen. I will act on your behalf. I can promise that I will never forget that I am accountable to the constituents of the 3rd District. Some may make a case that seniority is what counts in Washington. While I don't disagree that it may play a role, I will contend that it's not the amount of time you've been there, it's what you do with it that matters. And much like the 1994 "Contract with America," I have signed my Contract with Utah, wherein I have stated my priorities. It also holds me accountable to the voters of the 3rd Congressional District.

We now have a federal debt of $8.3 trillion, No Child Left Behind has failed, gasoline prices are soaring and 12 million uninvited, illegal immigrants have crossed our borders. Congress has done what's expedient for so long that they've forgotten how to do what's right. They've forgotten how to listen to the people. We must not allow Congress to postpone crucial issues with stopgap methods and blame it on the complexity of the issue. We deserve better. If I am elected, Utah's 3rd District will receive a representative who will truly represent them in Congress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2006 Deseret News Publishing Company