Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

RI store owner apologizes for asking for ID cards

RI store owner apologizes for asking for ID cards

Updated: Oct 1, 2008 09:15 AM CDT

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - The owner of a plumbing supply store has signed an apology for asking Spanish-speaking customers for their Social Security numbers.

David Richardson allegedly asked to see Jose Genao's Social Security card in March after listening to Genoa and a friend speak Spanish inside Richardson's store. Genao said Richardson complained that the majority of people who speak Spanish in Rhode Island are illegal immigrants.

Both customers are U.S. citizens. Besides apologizing, Richardson paid $500 to several charities after the Rhode Island Commission for Human Rights and the Providence Human Relations Commission found probable cause that he broke city and state law.

Richardson said he apologized to get the case "over and done with" and doesn't agree with the legal findings.

http://www.wpri.com/global/story.asp?s= ... rvc=latest
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Heck I had to show mine for a good 20+ years all the time.......to the point of having it printed on checks because it was mandatory......just think of all the years I could have been "offended".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wonderful. Now this "case" will be used to intimidate store owners, etc. into not asking for identification to protect themselves against bad checks, stolen credit cards, and everything else. Nice.

And one question: Since when does a Human Rights Commission hand down "legal decisions"? Isn't that the job of the courts?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The owner has the right to ask for any id he wants to. Especially when accepting checks for purchases from spanish speaking people in such a heavily populated ILLEGAL ALIEN ZONE.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

2 human-rights agencies find probable cause of bias

2 human-rights agencies find probable cause of bias; storeowner apologizes

07:23 AM EDT on Wednesday, October 1, 2008

By Karen Lee Ziner

Journal Staff Writer

A national Latino clergy group and Hispanic Pastors Association of Rhode Island held a news conference outside David C. Richardson’s Providence store in March.
    The Providence Journal / Kathy Borchers
    Genao
    Richardson
    PROVIDENCE — Providence storeowner David C. Richardson has signed a public apology for demanding to see a customer’s Social Security card last March after hearing the customer speak Spanish with a friend. Richardson signed the apology and agreed to give $500 to charity after two human-rights commissions found probable cause that he discriminated against the customer.

Jose Genao, a state worker and U.S. citizen who brought the discrimination claims against Richardson, said Richardson told him during that encounter, “I can call ICE [Immigration and Customs Enforcement] anytime I see an illegal immigrant,â€

He had nothing to 'apologize' for.....

Why would a US CITIZENS have to show this guy their SS Card?

They were not getting a job at the store (background check)
    Obtaining credit (credit application)
    And this guy did not work for the IRS!

I wouldn't apologize. If they didn't like it, they could get off my property!