Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Richardson backs off on voting rights for illegal immigrants

Widespread opposition to giving illegal immigrants the chance to vote in local elections has led the town's state representative to back down a day after she said she'd support adding the issue to the state Democratic Party's official platform.

"I have been receiving a lot of e-mails and phone calls...I'd say 90 percent are not in favor of this proposal," said state Rep. Pam Richardson, D-Framingham, yesterday. "It's definitely made me rethink the whole concept."

On Tuesday, Richardson said she supported giving cities and towns the option of allowing illegal immigrants to vote in municipal elections. She said that voting rights could help bring together a "fractured" immigrant community, particularly among residents from Brazil.

"My goal in making these statements was to suggest a way a bridge could be built between the undocumented community and the greater Framingham community," said Richardson.

Richardson made the proposal as a possible addition to the state Democratic Party's platform, which is voted on in June.

"Unless I hear from a large number of constituents that they are in favor of my position, I am unlikely to push it at the state convention," said Richardson.

Richardson said she stepped forward on immigration because of what she said was the lack of respect offered to illegal immigrants.

"Throughout history, there have been certain groups of people who are not treated with respect and dignity....I see that situation in the way undocumented individuals are treated. I'm uncomfortable with it. I am actively looking for ways to change that," said Richardson.

She said she hadn't heard any response from illegal immigrants living in Framingham, which she attributed to a distrust of government.

"I've actually spent a great deal of time trying to reach out to the immigrant community. It's very fractured, for obvious reasons," she said.

Richardson said she supported legislation filed in January by state Rep. Byron Rushing, D-Boston, that would give communities the option to allow non-citizens 18 and older to vote in municipal elections, such as races for school committee and selectmen. She said it was similar to her proposal for the Democratic platform.

Rushing's bill would require non-citizens who intended to vote in a community's election to declare that they live in that particular community and intend to become a U.S. citizen if they are eligible.

If Rushing's bill became law, voters would have to approve non-citizen voting in their hometown, according to a text of the measure.

The bill was supported by Richardson, along with state representatives Tom Sannicandro, D-Ashland; Ellen Story, D-Amherst; Thomas P. Conroy, D-Wayland; Alice Wolf, D-Cambridge; Kay Khan, D-Newton; Cory Atkins, D-Concord; and Denise Provost, D-Somerville.

(John Hilliard can be reached at 508-626-4449 or John.Hilliard@cnc.com.)
    http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/ ... immigrants

Guess what

moron says "Richardson said she stepped forward on immigration because of what she said was the lack of respect offered to illegal immigrants."

Guess what moron, ILLEGALS DISRESPECT our laws and they DISRESPECT US in doing so. I refuse to give so much as an ounce of respect to these Illegal Alien Invaders after what they have done...

unbelievable misplaced compassion - some people have gone bonkers!

Voting is reserved for citizens only. Period.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"I have been receiving a lot of e-mails and phone calls...I'd say 90 percent are not in favor of this proposal," said state Rep. Pam Richardson, D-Framingham, yesterday. "It's definitely made me rethink the whole concept."
    How convenient for her to think.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

In Maryland--

In Maryland--some municipalities have been allowing non citizens to vote. I cannot remember the source, but I definitely read it about a year ago.
    Now what is the status of a driver when he leaves one of the four states that grant licenses to illegals and drives in a state that does not??
    What kind of state grants this privilege to acknowledged illegal aliens?? Why are they not arrested and deported when they apply for a license??

Did you ever believe in your wildest dreams how many traitorous Americans there would be?? Just for a dollar?? Or misplaced compassion??

There will be blood in the streets--our congressional fools will see to that.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybird
    Voting is reserved for citizens only. Period.
    That's the way it should be, however; Framingham allows legal immigrants to vote, which is wrong. Only US citizens have earned that right.
    "

I lived in Florida....we were signing a petition about side walks and crossing guards near the school. I am a citizen and my signature was axed because I was a registered independant, and the only thing you could vote for in that case was just the Presidential election. Now if citizens have no say in certain areas because they aren't a registered voter, or not of the "correct" party, then why should people here illegally get more of a right than them? I got some people to register, for the simple fact that if you aren't registered, you have no vote in local matters.

Not to mention we have seen that without something mandated, who's gonna stop them from bussing people in to effect local votes? They bussed illegals in to mess up town meetings. They have people using relatives addresses to establish residency so their kids don't have to go the school in their actual area.....This could vastly mess things up for any town.

School turn blindly from all action by immigrants. School system aid and abet the parents because they are required to educate children until they are 18 years old. But now our schools think we taxpayers can continue paying for their debts on society.

So workplace E-Verifying must be made LAW. Even the immigrant mowing my banks lawn should be E-Verified by my bank.

Domestic helpers must be E-Verified, too.

And 298g should be run on everyone involved in a traffic incident and ticket, even the passengers.

Americans are checked, so immigrants and illegals should be done, too.

Americans are checked, so immigrants and illegals should be done, too.
    That's what I don't get. No one is asking them for anything the rest of us aren't asked to prove. Asking status or proof from them is infringing on their rights, but they can take hair samples, do background checks, credit checks on Americans?