Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006...9_375_2_06.txt

Surreal scene gripped Vista streets Monday night

By: TERI FIGUEROA - Staff Writer

What began as a peaceful day of protests in Vista on Monday morphed into a strange scene, with police shutting down roads as protestors jammed onto street corners. At one point, a main thoroughfare in the city hosted a bizarre sight: about 200 police officers marching down an empty street.

By the end, events treaded into dangerous territory, when the riot-gear clad law officers stared down an unruly rock-throwing crowd.

In the Townsite neighborhood around 9 p.m., the crowd at the corner of West Los Angeles and North Santa Fe hovered around 800 or so. Many were quietly standing along the street corners; a few spilled into closed-off North Santa Fe. Some chanted in Spanish. Others drove slowly around, shouting and holding up flags. Electricity fused the air, and most in the crowd appeared fascinated by the scene.

By 9:30 or so, a few in the crowd moved slightly down the street, in front of a large apartment complex on West Los Angeles.

Traffic there came to a halt as a group of unruly protesters ---- who appeared to be in their late teens or early 20s ---- stopped and partied in the middle of the road, an impromptu happening. Vehicles blocking the intersection parked in a circle. One person crawled up on top of a car and shouted. Another man sprayed a fire extinguisher into the air. Many ran around with large flags.

People and protestors floated in and out of the area down side streets.

By 11 p.m., less than a mile away, law enforcement officers from agencies across the county were lined up on North Santa Fe Drive, at the corner of East Vista Way.

With police dogs and their handlers leading the way on foot, about 35 police and sheriff's cars carrying about 200 officers, followed behind. The walking officers and cars with flashing lights spread out the width of shut-down North Santa Fe during their slow push north up the street.

A handful of protestors followed the parade of police and deputies in alleys parallel to the street, some whistling and calling out jeers.

At one point, the push stopped and a contingent of about two dozen officers turned up a side road to seek out the unruly, who appeared to disperse.

The eerie parade of police then crawled further up North Santa Fe, turning right at West Los Angeles, the site of a massive gathering earlier in the evening that saw about 800 people lining the sidewalks and some spilling into the shut-down street.

But when the rolling armada of cars reached the intersection, the area was mostly clear ---- save for a few people who'd parked in a dirt lot on the northeast corner of the street. One woman, holding an infant, stood outside of her car, videotaping the surreal scene.

The march down West Los Angeles came to an abrupt halt about 11:20 p.m. when officers stopped about 100 yards from the large apartment complex at 300 West Los Angeles, at the corner of Benito Juarez ---- which happened to be site of the earlier impromptu street party.

The geography of the area ---- since the complex runs along a sharp curve on West Los Angeles ---- meant the contingent of officers were staring straight ahead at what appeared from one vantage point to be about 50 people on a knoll inside the gates of the apartment complex.

Sheriff's officials put the number of gathered protesters between 200 and 300, with a few of them throwing rocks. At least one sheriff's patrol car has "a big dent" from a hurled rock, said Lt. Hernando Torres of the Vista substation.

Whatever the number was, the protestors and the police and deputies stood watching each other for long, tense minutes.

Police dogs barked. Protestors whistled. A helicopter roared overhead. And, over a loudspeaker in the rock-dented sheriff's car came a repeated message ---- in English and Spanish ---- warning everyone to go home.

Behind and alongside the officers one West Los Angeles, a few residents peeked out of their windows ---- and a handful ventured outside their doors ---- to watch the stare down.

About 20 minutes into the stand-off, many of the gathered protestors suddenly broke and ran deeper into the complex. Some who stayed remained on the grassy hill inside the fence, staring at the police.

The officers pushed forward.

The crowd thinned a little more.

Two minutes after midnight, about two dozen riot-gear clad officers pushed not far up a driveway into the very darkened complex.

A few minutes later, the officers left the complex. Torres said on Tuesday that the SWAT officers in the driveway encountered about 15 or so people, who quickly dispersed.

By 12:30, with the area quiet and seemingly cleared of protestors, police and deputies regrouped down the road and began to leave in small groups ---- a far less imposing image than their approach.

By 1:30 a.m., Torres said Tuesday, the scene was declared clear of trouble.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    Susan wrote on May 03, 2006 5:06 AM:"What a mess the streets are after this. Trash every where. Clean up your own neighborhood. Some on left tire marks all over the streets. Could that have been GANG members showing off? Could that have been GANG members causing all that mess and wasting the sheriff and police time?"

Vista Resident wrote on May 03, 2006 7:56 AM:"I though all illegal aliens were law abiding and just came here to work? WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP! This is an example of the REAL behavior these people are bringing to America. Vandalize and destroy your neighborhoods Mexico, not Vista! Way to show your true colors! Good job illegals!"

Mommie wrote on May 03, 2006 8:09 AM:"I think there are too many idiots out there who have no clue as to what is really going on, and not understanding the purpose of the protest. In reality, those who are out there waving their flags, drivin up the street honkin their horns, are quite annoying. It gives the perception to others in our society that hispanics are ignorant, disrespectful, and do deserve to be deported. "

Vista Resident wrote on May 03, 2006 8:19 AM:"I didn't mind the driving up and down my street with their flags, horns etc. I saw one car with a few girls sitting outside of the windows (not belted in)a very dangerous thing to do, and against the law! But when it comes to calling in extra Police from all over the county because some refused to disburse, and throwing things at officers, who do they think will pay the charges for the extra Police? It will be the tax payers, most of whom were in there homes."

DW wrote on May 03, 2006 8:20 AM:"Why wasn't there any arrests? We are becoming a lawless society. No law and order! Do these people really really want America to turn into Tijuana? If so we need to defend our country NOW. We are being invaded! Article 4 section 4 of the constitution says the feds must protect her states from foreign invasion. Bush hasn't done this, now it is up to us Patriots, (support goups who are taking a stand and get rid of these gutless politicians). Wake up America."
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Just received the alert.

Watching news right now.

KCal just reported that coming up..

La police chief is holding press conference!

Arrghh...unable to record.

Anyone??
    <div align="justify"><div align="left">[i]</div><div align="center"><div align="left"><div align="center"><div align="left">[i][i][i][i][i][b]WAKE UP AND SMELL THE FACISM!* IMPEACH THEM ALL!</stro

Link to article post on this year's Vista rally

<div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

One protester said many illegal aliens stayed away from the public demonstrations in fear of arrest by immigration agents.
    I sort of feel for them on this point.

Wouldn't it be pretty embarrassing to be the first one busted for being here illegally at one of these protest!

"Mayor Morris Vance said the Wildwood Park cultural event featured a lot of music and speakers, but was breaking up in the late afternoon. He knew of no one with permits to march afterward. "

I'm not reading that right, am I? I mean, I can't be! Illegal aliens, protesting in OUR streets, demanding citizenship in OUR country, after breaking the law by entering ILLEGALLY....and it's referred to as a "cultural event"??? Sounds like this man would refer to the burning of Atlanta as a "weinnee roast"!!!

For the love of Pete! As southerners, we're all to familiar with what a government-sanctioned invasion looks like, and needless to say, that's exactly what this is! How much longer are we going to let politicians sell our country downriver? And yet, when the violence spills over into the streets, you can bet Americans will be arrested!

As far as coverage of the riot, I did see Fox News talking about it. They were talking about how ICE Agents have said they would never raid a rally like this, just for people using their right of "free speech". Exscuse me - but when do ILLEGAL ALIENS have the same rights as American citizens???

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of them thinking they can force themselves upon us, turning our country into the cesspool Mexico has become, and doing it with the backing and support of our "elected officials" (cough cough choke). I'm sorry - the politicians may be spineless, but American citizens aren't - and the illegals are going to keep pushing until we push back - all the way to the Mexican border!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeldame
    "Mayor Morris Vance said the Wildwood Park cultural event featured a lot of music and speakers, but was breaking up in the late afternoon. He knew of no one with permits to march afterward. "

I'm not reading that right, am I? I mean, I can't be! Illegal aliens, protesting in OUR streets, demanding citizenship in OUR country, after breaking the law by entering ILLEGALLY....and it's referred to as a "cultural event"??? Sounds like this man would refer to the burning of Atlanta as a "weinnee roast"!!!

For the love of Pete! As southerners, we're all to familiar with what a government-sanctioned invasion looks like, and needless to say, that's exactly what this is! How much longer are we going to let politicians sell our country downriver? And yet, when the violence spills over into the streets, you can bet Americans will be arrested!

As far as coverage of the riot, I did see Fox News talking about it. They were talking about how ICE Agents have said they would never raid a rally like this, just for people using their right of "free speech". Exscuse me - but when do ILLEGAL ALIENS have the same rights as American citizens???

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of them thinking they can force themselves upon us, turning our country into the cesspool Mexico has become, and doing it with the backing and support of our "elected officials" (cough cough choke). I'm sorry - the politicians may be spineless, but American citizens aren't - and the illegals are going to keep pushing until we push back - all the way to the Mexican border!
    Good morning, Rebeldame, and welcome to Alipac. I hope you'll stick around and help us fight this fight. We're all sick of this invasion...northerners and southerners, easterners, westerners...democrats, republicans, black and white and anything in between!

I wonder how long this would last in Australia? The Prime Minister of Australia took a hard stand on illegal immigration and told people they must assimilate and learn English.....and you don't see riots over there.

Maybe we need to send GWB to Australia for a Leadership 101 class.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeldame

I believe that one of the times we had problems with them and push came to shove, we ended up owning what was once Mexico all the way down to about Mexico City.

They need to be reminded of it when they make their little reconquest speech. If they have the right, are they still going to be singing that tune if 27 million of us show up down there?

Welcome to the message boards Rebeldame

As usual, I find it highly alarming that no matter what the police do they are in the wrong. There are too many incidents where police are attacked, assaulted or have things launched in their direction then they are discredited for reacting. I think rubber bullets are fine. I think that those who were hit with them should be asked a whole lot more questions than the cops are asked. And I also realize more and more each day why it is so hard for cities to find law enforcement agents willing to risk their lives to protect the citizenry. Another sad day for Americans.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Pretty soon they'll be telling us law enforcement is a new job that Americans are not willing to do. THEN what?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast