Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Riots break out in Vista, CA

Hope to find more and better coverage of what exactly happened tonight, but here's what's out there now.

http://nctimes.com/articles/2006/05/...4_015_1_06.txt

Thousands rally on 'Day Without Immigrants'

By: MARK WALKER - Staff Writer

NORTH COUNTY ---- Immigration protests turned hostile Monday in parts of Vista, where officers called in backup from all over the county and protesters threw rocks and bottles in the crowd.

Most immigration protests and rallies throughout North County were peaceful Monday. But as night fell, the protests grew more disruptive in parts of North County.

In Vista, officers in riot gear and with dogs were lining streets in Vista Village late Monday night and ordering the crowd to disburse or face arrest.

An estimated 1,000 people crammed the streets late into the night, forcing law enforcement officers to shut down Santa Fe Avenue. More protesters were reported on Vista Village Drive, where sheriff's deputies requested backup from other law enforcement agencies.

As the night continued, there were mixed reports about whether violence had broken out. Just before 10 p.m., reports of gunshots near a McDonald's restaurant were heard on a police scanner, but Sheriff's Department spokesman Capt. Glenn Revell and an employee at the restaurant said they had not heard any shots.

Around 10:20, about 150 deputies and officers from surrounding cities lined Santa Fe Avenue on foot and in their cars near the Krikorian theater complex in Vista Village. Revell said the officers were there in "response to a what could be a serious incident." It appeared to involve the throwing of rocks, bottles or other objects.

Earlier in the day, thousands of white-shirted immigration rights protesters took part in demonstrations from coastal to inland North County Monday in a show of their social and economic clout, capping a series of protests with a candlelight vigil and speeches at Escondido's Grape Day Park.

Called "A Day Without Immigrants" by some organizers and "The Great American Boycott" by others, Monday's North County events also included rallies in San Marcos and Vista and street marches in Oceanside and Fallbrook.

The demonstrations were peaceful during the day, with at least one small local counter-protest and no arrests, reports of violence or major service disruptions.

But as night fell, the protests grew more disruptive in parts of North County. In Vista, an estimated 1,000 people crammed the streets late into the night, forcing law enforcement officers to shut down Santa Fe Avenue in the Townsite neighborhood to traffic. More protesters were reported on Vista Village Drive, where sheriff's deputies requested backup from other law enforcement agencies.

As the night continued, there were mixed reports about whether violence had broken out. Just before 10 p.m., reports of gunshots near a McDonald's restaurant in were heard on a police scanner, but sheriff's department spokesman Capt. Glenn Revell and an employee at the restaurant said they had not heard any shots.

Around 10:20, about 150 deputies and officers from surrounding cities lined Santa Fe Avenue on foot and in their cars near the Krikorian theater complex in Vista Village. Revell said the officers were there in "response to a what could be a serious incident." It appeared to involve the throwing of rocks, bottles or other objects.

In Townsite, the protests appeared to involve no more than a lot of honking cars.

In Escondido, police reported that windows in two of their cars were broken during the protests, though police said they did not see the windows being broken and no arrests were made.

Throughout the day in North County, numerous Latino-owned small businesses shut their doors to give workers a chance to take part in the demonstrations and show support for a movement spurred largely by proposed federal legislation that would declare all illegal aliens to be felons.

Major employers reported that while some workers had made arrangements to stay away on Monday, there were no massive walkouts. Meanwhile, North County school officials reported as many as 10,000 more absentees than normal, but many of the students stayed away from the public protests.

Monday's action followed immigration protests last month that began in Los Angeles and served as a rallying cry that later brought thousands of mostly student protesters to North County streets over a period of several days.

The message

Carrying U.S. and Mexican flags, protesters such as Roberto Lopez said they needed to take to the streets to show the region and the nation that they are serious about immigration rights and serious about their desire to be treated with respect.

"I've been paying taxes for 18 years," said Lopez, who joined in a march and more than 5-hour rally at Vista's Wildwood Park. "I'm here to stand with my people."

Juan Cuevo, a chef at a La Costa resort, was equally resolute about his support for immigrant rights and against strict criminal enforcement against illegal aliens.

"I've been an American citizen since 1986," said Cuevo, who came to the Vista park with his wife and 5-year-old son. "I hope they listen to us."

The same sort of message was delivered in Escondido Monday morning, where dozens of white-shirted protesters held signs and a large American flag as they greeted passing motorists at Valley Parkway and Broadway.

"I'm pleading with people to legalize them and have some heart," Oceanside's Grace Montoya said of the estimated 3 million illegal aliens in California and another 8 million or more across the rest of the nation.

Bonifacio Corral took the day off from his landscaping job in support of the protest and show of immigrant strength.

"Everybody is coming for work," said the 51-year-old Corral, who came to North County illegally in 1974 to earn money harvesting avocados and now is a legal resident. "The country needs workers."

One protester said many illegal aliens stayed away from the public demonstrations in fear of arrest by immigration agents.

But no such actions took place and Lauren Mack of the U.S. Immigration and Customs enforcement office in San Diego said the agency no longer conducts random sweeps. Those operations only occur "where there is targeted criminal activity," she said.

Escondido's vigil

A small crowd of about six dozen demonstrators gathered in Escondido's Grape Day Park beginning in the early afternoon. As schools and work let out, families wearing white T-shirts, some carrying Mexican or U.S. flags, filed through downtown streets toward the park to join in the demonstration, which included more than 2,000 people by early evening.

In contrast to the student demonstrations in March, Monday's daytime gathering was a family affair, with a mix of prayer, music, traditional dance presentations and a candlelight vigil.

Clad in white, Fidel Arellano showed up with his wife and three school-age children, all of whom had stayed home and refrained from doing any shopping.

"It's a big sacrifice for us not to go to work and be here," said the 35-year-old construction worker, adding that his boss was supportive of him taking the day off, but also withheld his $200 daily pay. "But we have to support each other."

Demonstrators hoisted American and Mexican flags as community leaders led them in chants of "Si se puede," (It can be done) and "U.S.A."

Throughout the evening, waves of vehicles circled the block waving flags and honking their horns. Some waved flags and signs of support. Others heckled the 10 counter-protesters who stood at the entrance to the park holding signs denouncing illegal immigration.

Along the western edge of the park, participants lined up to sign pre-printed letters urging California's senators to support legislation that would offer undocumented workers a path to citizenship.

Another 75 people filled out voter registration cards, according to volunteers. And organizers said they hope to register 10,000 Latino voters before June's primary election.

Isabel Moreno, 22, who came to Grape Day with her sister's children said she registered to vote because the demonstrations over the last month have made her "more interested in doing things for my people and my family."

"We want equal rights for all Latino people," Moreno said.

Vista rally

A massive display of Latino solidarity took place at Vista's Wildwood Park, where a thick wall of demonstrators crowded along the adjacent East Vista Way holding banners and flags.

The daylong rally, organized by the Coalition for Justice, Peace and Dignity, a local Latino advocacy group, was billed as a cultural event, featuring entertainment interspersed with politically charged speeches.

About 250 people, from toddlers to grandparents, were gathered in the park by the 11 a.m. start time. Volunteers wearing red "Security" shirts formed a perimeter. By early afternoon, the number had swelled to an estimated 2,500, according to event organizers and law enforcement officers.

While dance troupes and musical acts entertained, a steady stream of passing vehicles blared their horns.

Around 12:45, several hundred people left the park and marched south on Vista Village Drive. But after a few blocks, they reversed course and returned to the rally.

Vista Mayor Morris Vance took advantage of the gathering near City Hall to encourage attendees to volunteer for city committees.

"The Latino population in Vista is underrepresented," he told the crowd, which responded with applause.

Later in the day, a handful of counter-protesters gathered on the opposite side of East Vista Way holding signs, including a large one that read "You lose your rights when you enter the United States Illegally."

"I think it's a pretty sad day in America," said Jeff Schwilk, leader of the San Diego Minutemen, an anti-illegal immigration group.

Fallbrook

Ray Carney, a blogger and anti-illegal immigrant activist, had protesters march past his West Mission Road home.

The protesters stopped in front of his home and used a bullhorn to chide him.

"I laughed and chuckled," said Carney. "I think the whole effort was stupid and not going to accomplish a damn thing."

Celia Saucedo drove two hours from Indio in Riverside County to Fallbrook to participate in the march organized by her sister, Irma Echeverria, a Fallbrook resident.

Echeverria works as a housekeeper and her employer, who didn't want to give his name, came along to show his support. He sat in his car watching the marchers assemble. Echeverria has worked for him for about 15 years.

"What she's for, I'm for," he said. "She's a terrific housekeeper and does a fine job. They've got the right to do what they can do."

An estimated 125 people took part in the march, which began at El Tigre Foods on South Mission Road. As they waved American flags, passing motorists honked their horns.

Veronica Loerra, a Fallbrook resident and third-generation Californian, took a personal day from her job as a migrant services aide at Lincoln Middle School in Vista to take part.

"Our country is made up of immigrants," she said. "These people aren't asking to be citizens, just for the right to work. I am here to support that. We're trying to make a difference."

She also kept her seventh-grade daughter home from Potter Junior High School so she could bring her to the event.

"She's witnessing history," Loerra said.

San Marcos

A "We are All Immigrants" rally staged at Cal State Marcos drew a small turnout of about 150 students and professors.

A stage with posters such as those reading "We are not criminals, just workers"; "Don't put me down, give me a hand," and "It's not a felony to feed your family," featured more than a dozen speakers.

The central message was the challenges faced by all immigrants, such as student Juana Molina, who said she had to work three jobs to put herself through school and waited 14 years to gain permanent residency status.

"Please be aware of what's at stake for many, many people," she said.

Freshman Mayra Turchiano urged the city of San Marcos become a "sanctuary for undocumented workers.

"There is nothing illegal about coming to the U.S. in search of a better life," she said.

Her comment, however, displays the divide in the immigration debate. Anti-illegal immigration activists would agree with her if the immigrant enters the country legally.

Housekeeper Julia Ramirez brought her 6-month-old infant son and said the ongoing debate will decide her boy's future.

"We don't want him to be discriminated against," she said. "We just want him to have the opportunities to study and get a good education."

Oceanside march

A group of about 60 marchers of all ages started out about 10 a.m. in the North River Road area near Camp Pendleton and headed toward the coast.

When the group got to Oceanside High School, it ballooned to about 300.

"A lot of them were young people," said Oceanside Police Sgt. Leonard Mata.

The group paraded down to the Oceanside pier, turned around and walked back to the high school. A small group went into several nearby neighborhoods before marching back out toward where they started.

In Sacramento, Washington

In Sacramento, where the Legislature was shut down by vote of majority Democrats, state Assembly Republican Leader George Plescia, R-San Diego, called the boycott misguided.

"While the Democrats are out on the street protesting today, Republicans are in the capital," said Plescia, whose district includes a portion of North County. "We think it is irresponsible that the Democrats have closed the Legislature when we have so many important issues to address."

State Assemblywoman Mimi Walters, R-Irvine, whose district includes a portion of Oceanside, said lawmakers who supported the walkout should lose their salary for the day.

"It is hard to understand how our legislators can justify boycotting our own state's businesses," Walters said.

What's next

This morning, the central question is what now? What are immigrant rights' organizers next steps? What effect did Monday's actions have in Washington, where lawmakers are under intense pressure to reform immigration laws and take drastic measures to stop the flow of illegal aliens?

Although those questions cannot be readily answered, protest organizers say they plan more action in the coming weeks.

Yesenia Balcazar of the Coalition for Justice, Peace and Dignity in Vista, said Monday's events were an "awesome thing. We're making history."

The next step, she said, is an ongoing campaign to encourage Latinos to vote, write letters to Congress and volunteer locally.

"We have to build bridges in the community," she said.

Staff writers Craig Tenbroeck, David Fried, Brenda Duran, Teri Figueroa, Quinn Eastman, Adrienne Aguirre, Patti Magee, Edward Sifuentes, Paul Sisson, Jo Moreland and Paul Eakins and City News Service contributed to this report.

Contact staff writer Mark Walker at (760) 740-3529 or mlwalker@nctimes.com.

Previous Story:
    Next Story: Heard on the streets

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    Legal wrote on May 01, 2006 10:42 PM:"It was a great day. Traffic was noticeably light on the freeways. Makes you wonder why the traffic has gotten so bad in the last few years. Could it be...??? As a LEGAL RESIDENT ALIEN (one who obeyed the immigration law and followed the rules for many years in order to get here) I resent the attitude of "expecting entitlement" just because they WANT IT, rather than doing like the rest of us who followed the law to enter and live here. Realize that you either obey or law or you don't. It's black and white. Am I an idiot for immigrating here the legal way? I don't think so. Do you?"

Labor Day wrote on May 01, 2006 11:03 PM:"Let's make May 1st the official Labor Day like most countries around the world!!!! To all of you offended by the recent immigration issues. Since the grape picking season is about to begin in the Coachella valley and you claim to be able to do the back breaking work immigrants do, I propose you take two or three months vacation from your regular jobs to work in the dessert fields in 100 to 120 degrees temperature and proudly take those jobs back. I personally “been there done that” and no way in hell I’m going back. DO IT OR SHUT UP!!!!!!! "

pedro boss wrote on May 01, 2006 11:37 PM:"I belive in the right to our local mexican brothers and sister to work. But pay taxes and foot your bills in wellfare and our resources. We have all the freedoms in the states. But is it the same for me in Mexico...hell no. Go back to your roots before you protest. I belive we can fix the problems with a open mind and a willingness to work together."
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Here's more local coverage. I'll note that local tv news did a fair job showing all the Mexican flags on display today at the various open border protests throughout San Diego.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...vistariot.html

Officers speed to Vista after reports of a riot

By Pauline Repard
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

11:30 p.m. May 1, 2006

VISTA – Law officers from around the county raced into Vista on Monday night to help quell what sheriff's officials called a riot, with crowds throwing rocks and bottles at deputies.
    Authorities estimated 800 to 1,200 people swarming the streets after a rally to protest the proposed federal immigration bill had broken up at Wildwood Park on East Vista Way at Escondido Avenue.

Nearly 200 officers poured into town in the hours after Vista deputies radioed for help about 8 p.m.

Officers dressed in riot gear, and with police dogs, were starting to order crowds to disperse about 11 p.m.

Deputies had been monitoring the park rally, then reported that people were throwing bottles at them, sheriff's Capt. Glenn Revell said. He said deputies retreated and were not injured.

Revell said crowds split into three groups, some staying near Wildwood Park, while others congregated along Melrose Drive. Others sat down and blocked the intersection at North Santa Fe Avenue and Bobier Street until officers converged to break up the crowd.

Some 200 people walked up and down Santa Fe Avenue from Bobier Drive to Vista Village Drive. About 10:30 p.m., 40 to 50 police cars lined Santa Fe Avenue. Many officers wore helmets and padding.

“It's not supposed to be a riot, it's supposed to be peaceful,” said Adrian Olivos, 21, of Vista. “I don't know why there is all the commotion.”

“It was spontaneous,” said Christina Colt, 19, of Vista. “People were waving the Mexican and American flags. They all just came together, and out of nowhere cops just started pouring in, and canines.”

Near Wildwood Park, a mob swarmed two television trucks, throwing rocks and trying to overturn them.

“The Sheriff's Department is not placing blame on the demonstrators,” Revell said. “We believe this is a very small group of people who are making this protest for criminal behavior.”

Councilman Frank Lopez said the park rally had been peaceful but loud.

“It was calm, people were enjoying themselves,” Lopez said. He added that later in the evening, he could hear young people racing up and down the streets in trucks, waving flags and yelling.

“I saw a lot of officers go by” soon after that, Lopez said.

Sheriff's officials requested mutual aid from law agencies around the county. Five Carlsbad officers headed to Vista about 8:30 p.m.

About 9 p.m., the California Highway Patrol sent eight officers from its El Cajon-area office. A short time later, 20 San Diego police officers started racing, lights and sirens on, toward Vista. Escondido sent 19 officers and Oceanside sent nine.

They came from as far away as Coronado and La Mesa, which each sent three officers, while El Cajon sent five, National City six and Chula Vista 11.

Many officers came with patrol dogs, forming lines in the street. Some officers reported no scenes of violence as the evening wore on, but that disturbances popped up in different parts of town.

Mayor Morris Vance said the Wildwood Park cultural event featured a lot of music and speakers, but was breaking up in the late afternoon. He knew of no one with permits to march afterward.

Staff writers Kristina Davis and Elena Gaona contributed to the report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pauline Repard: (619) 293-1893; pauline.repard@uniontrib.com
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

BTTT

We need help getting this story about the riots out to the nation today from our activists.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Getting the word out now to as many media contacts I can.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I sent this to the local news programmer with this subject line:

Coming soon to a 'theater' near you!

battlefields are called theaters, so I thought it was appropriate
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Video at the website linked. Some photos at bottom of post.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/9145429/detail.html

Vista Immigration Protest Turns Unruly
    Hundreds Of Officers Called In After Protesters Throw Rocks, Bottles

POSTED: 6:55 am PDT May 2, 2006
    UPDATED: 8:51 am PDT May 2, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

VISTA, Calif. -- Deputies and police officers from all over San Diego County were sent to Vista on Monday night to disperse an unruly crowd at an immigration rally.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Discuss: Illegal Immigration

The demonstration began peacefully as one of the many "Day Without Immigrants" demonstrations that took place around the county. But at about 8 p.m., some of the 800 to 1,200 protesters began throwing rocks and bottles at deputies, sheriff's Lt. Phil Brust said.

Between 150 and 200 officers from police departments in Carlsbad, Chula Vista, Coronado, El Cajon, Escondido, La Mesa, National City, Oceanside and the California Highway Patrol formed riot lines and marched toward the demonstrators, telling them to disperse.

By midnight, all but about 150 people had gone home. The smaller group made a last stand, throwing more rocks and bottles, Brust said. Deputies warned the mob to disperse or face arrest. At that point, the group broke up and officers cleared the area.

No arrests were made, and nobody was injured during the confrontations.

Extra deputies were assigned to patrol Vista overnight to prevent additional disturbances, NBC 7/39 reported.

- Clarence Darrow</div>

Hey great to see the coverage here of my neighborhood. Yeah I live here in the Townsite barrio. I can tell you that the protests were pretty subdued until the High school let out. From that point on, it was non-stop horn honking and speeding thru the streets with Mexican flags everywhere. I'm not surprised at the violence, and harrassment of the police. Of course the San Diego Sheriffs - who are contracted by Vista-are especially despised by the Mexicans because of the 3 fatal shootings of gang members this past year. The city council ignores this section of Vista - the Mormons - who run the Vista City Gov't - are afraid of them I think.

We will send this video out in our continued push on Wed. to get news about this riot out to the country.

W

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006...4_295_2_06.txt
    Community leaders react to Vista protests

By: STACY BRANDT - Staff Writer

VISTA ---- Community leaders and sheriff's personnel Tuesday praised a crowd of up to 2,000 residents who demonstrated peacefully in Wildwood Park the day before, but rebuked those who turned violent that night.

"What happened last night was just pure lawlessness," Mayor Morris Vance said Tuesday. "It was contrary to what I think should take place."

There were no arrests or injuries reported Monday night in Vista, where a group of protesters began throwing rocks and bottles at officers and riling up crowds as they left a peaceful, daytime demonstration against a federal proposal to crack down on illegal immigration.

City and San Diego County Sheriff's Department officials are looking for what they called a small group of protesters who incited the larger standoff, and the city has asked deputies to strengthen their presence in Vista, especially for the Cinco de Mayo holiday Friday.

It was unclear how many protesters in the crowd of up to 1,000 people Monday were throwing objects and verbally harassing officers and how many were simply observing the situation.

"We didn't actually see any one person throwing the rocks," said sheriff's Lt. Hernando Torres on Tuesday. "We didn't know where they were coming from."

Protesters jammed North Santa Fe Avenue, forcing sheriff's deputies to close the street to traffic and call for backup. There were several reports of fighting, vandalism and reckless driving, Torres said.

Almost 200 officers from numerous law enforcement agencies throughout the county responded in riot gear, and the crowd gradually dispersed throughout the night and early morning.

On the other hand, Vance said, the organized event in Wildwood Park, on the corner of Escondido Avenue and East Vista Drive, was "exactly what it should have been."

Tina Jillings, one of the organizers of the daytime cultural celebration in Wildwood Park, said the later protest had nothing to do with the peaceful event put on by the Coalition for Justice, Peace and Dignity. She said she thinks it is unfortunate that the attention shifted from the larger gathering, which ended at 5 p.m., to its negative aftermath.

"Our event ended at five, and it was peaceful, and it was productive," she said. "We don't even know if these individuals were attending the event or who they were."

Jillings is a cofounder of the coalition, which was formed last summer after deputies shot and killed three Latino men as they either ran from or assaulted officers. She said tension felt in the Latino community after the shootings was partly responsible for the protesters' angry response to deputies. Torres and Vance disagreed.

Though deputies broke up the demonstrations without injury or arrest, Jillings said she thinks the Sheriff's Department should have handled the situation Monday night very differently.

"I felt like I was in the middle of a war," she said.

As night fell after the event in the park, a small group of rock-throwing protesters turned into a much larger crowd of up to 1,000 people who poured into the street. Some chanted in Spanish. Others drove slowly around, shouting and holding up flags.

During the evening, one person crawled up on top of a car and shouted. Another man sprayed a fire extinguisher into the air.

Sheriff's deputies and officers from all over the county responded, eventually creating a long parade of cars and officers on foot, some with police dogs. The slow parade pushed through the streets while a voice on a police loudspeaker threatened protesters to go home or face arrest.

The armada of police cruisers and officers, many in gas masks, eventually ended up squaring off with a group of what appeared to be about 50 protesters outside an apartment complex on West Los Angeles Drive. Sheriff's officials Tuesday put the number of gathered protesters between 200 and 300, with a few of them throwing rocks.

Whatever the number was, the protesters and the police and deputies stood watching each other for long, tense minutes. Police dogs barked. Protesters whistled. A helicopter roared overhead. And over a loudspeaker in a rock-dented solo sheriff's car out in front of the officers, came a repeated message ---- in English and Spanish ---- to go home.

The crowd eventually did so, and by about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, the area was clear and calm.

Torres said the department acted properly by calling in backup and using protective gear, and that officers had to plan for the worst-case scenario.

"We needed to have enough resources to deal with the unknown," Torres said.

Deputies were patrolling the park as well, but Torres said the crowd there was very respectful and peaceful.

Joyce Rogers, who was at the park as one of a handful of counter-protesters, said that other than a few obscene gestures and harsh words, most of the protesters were respectful.

"Most of the people in the park were respectful and proud," she said. "We're all neighbors here."

While Torres said he thinks many Vista residents were happy about the gathering in the park, he said he doesn't think the majority of community members supported the later protests.

"I don't think that what happened last night is indicative of what the community is like in Vista," Torres said Tuesday. "There were a lot of cowardly people who took advantage of the group's organized activities to create a disturbance."

Contact staff writer Stacy Brandt at (760) 631-6622 or sbrandt@nctimes.com.

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
    American wrote on May 03, 2006 8:27 AM:"Time to start reporting all the contractors and sub-contractors who hire illegals to IRS, INS and all the other wonderful American Agencies. We are also reporting resturants, and other businesses, want to hire an illegal, deal with the IRS!! And for you property owners that rent to 10 illegals in one apartment you are being reported for code violations, so go ahead enjoy! OPERATION BACKLASH has begun!"

Fed Up wrote on May 03, 2006 8:42 AM:"Good coverage of the story. A couple of points you missed were seen on a TV interview of Tina Jillings, speaking for the Coalition for Peace, Justice, and Dignity, was that she minimized the number of people involved, criticized the handling by Law Enforcement, and made a big deal of the Sherrif's Dept. not having more Spanish speaking officers. Her comments were that "her community speaks Spanish, not English, so get over it". Great comment for someone conected with the Coalition. Nice going lady. You just erased any trace of compassion I had for illegal aliens."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast