Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

RNC votes for Guest Worker Language Republican Divide Over I

Republican Divide Over Immigration Keeps Widening

BY BRIAN MITCHELL

INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY

Posted 1/20/2006

President Bush won his first fight over immigration when the Republican National Committee on Friday turned back a challenge to his proposed guest-worker plan.

But the fact that there was a debate at all at the RNC, which typically backs Bush vigorously, underscores the big Republican split over immigration.

At their winter meeting in Washington, D.C., RNC members approved a pro-Bush plan resolution by Texas committeeman Bill Crocker. That forced the withdrawal of a resolution against the plan proposed by Arizona committeeman Randy Pullen.

The Crocker resolution called for a "functional program which will allow workers from other countries to enter the United States to work for a fixed period of time."

It also said such a program must provide "no amnesty" for those here illegally, but did not exclude "legalization," the term favored by immigration proponents.

GOP leaders, including Vice President Dick Cheney, RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman and Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, lobbied hard for the Crocker resolution and against the efforts of immigration critics.

"We're really not happy with what's going on down there right now," said Jessica Echard of Eagle Forum on Friday morning.

The RNC vote came a day after a coalition of business and labor groups declared its determination to fight for legalization and increases in foreign workers.

"We have decided that this is a fundamental, essential issue to the future of our economy," said Thomas Donohue, president and CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

"This is not an issue that the fundamental organizations representing our economy, representing society, are going to walk away from," he said.

Donohue was seconded by Andy Stern, president of the Service Employees International Union; Terry O'Sullivan, general president of the Laborers' International Union of North America; Mark Franken of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops; and Kelley Rice-Schild of the American Health Care Association.

Labor Shortages?

Donohue painted a dismal picture of a nation threatened by "fewer and fewer and fewer" workers, on account of a booming economy and the pending retirement of 77 million baby boomers.

"We need a pool of accomplished, willing and paying workers â€â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

GRRR........

To the phones:
    Ken Mehlman (202) 863-8600
    chairman@gop.com

White House 1 (202) 456 1111

Contacting the White House [En Español also] Mailing Address

The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Washington, DC 20500

Comments: 202-456-1111 Switchboard: 202-456-1414 FAX: 202-456-2461 TTY/TDD Comments: 202-456-6213 Visitors Office: 202-456-2121 E-Mail President George W. Bush: president@whitehouse.gov Vice President Richard Cheney: vice.president@whitehouse.gov

To the faxes.....

http://www.numbersusa.com/newbuffet?screen=small

LET'S BURN UP THE TELEPHONE LINES!!! (with calls, of course )

I got this quote from one of the posters here this morning, forgive me if I don't look it up to give you credit as I am busy searching for info on the Republican National Committee.

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." --John Adams
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

I was JUST getting ready to post the segment from Lou Dobbs last night that discussed this BALONEY. Be back in a sec!
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton

HERE IT IS!

Also tonight, Republican Party leaders are showing their true colors on the issue of border security. Republican National Committee members had a key opportunity today to challenge the Bush administration on its illegal alien guest worker amnesty initiative. But the RNC didn't even put up a fight.

LISA SYLVESTER, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice over): Republicans from around the country gathered for their winter meeting. Among the resolutions, one that embraced the president's proposed guest worker program. One hundred sixty-four Republican National Committee members voted in favor...

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Signify with "Aye."

UNIDENTIFIED GROUP: Aye.

SYLVESTER: ... with only one person opposed.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Opposed?

RANDY PULLEN, WITHDREW RESOLUTION: Aye.

SYLVESTER: The lone voice against was Randy Pullen of Arizona. Afterward, he withdrew his competing resolution that did not include guest worker language. Pullen says he offered his resolution because he believes none of the proposals for a temporary guest worker program would even work.

PULLEN: The McCain-Kennedy bill, which essentially allows them to stay for six years in the country, what do you do after six years after someone's married and has children and has a car payment and a house payment like you and I do? And then you're going to tell them after six years, sorry, you've got to go home now?

SYLVESTER: The Republican leadership succeeded beating back Pullen's attempt to split from the White House. Even though the public vote was not close, behind closed doors there is a deeper conflict between pro-business Republicans and anti-illegal immigration Republicans.

DAN STEIN, FAIR: It's tearing the Republican Party apart, because if the president and Karl Rove insist on jamming a big guest worker program through Congress, I predict it's going to cost Republicans the majority.

SYLVESTER: At the RNC committee level, there was a more vigorous debate. Pullen says that was the big fight that he lost.

PULLEN: You know, it's the old saying, sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Well, this time, I was the bug.

SYLVESTER: RNC chair Ken Mehlman says the debate process was a fair one, but Republican Congressman Tom Tancredo, who has been very outspoken against the guest worker program, responded, saying, "The RNC's failure to pass a get-tough border security resolution shows the extent to which the White House will use strong-arm tactics to secure an amnesty." And Representatives Tancredo expects that there will be one heck of a fight when immigration reform is debated in the Senate -- Lou.

DOBBS: It also shows that the absolute obedience of the Republican National Committee to corporate interests and those for open borders and not border security, and for the continued ignorance and indifference to immigration laws will continue. And the peril that puts the House of Representatives in, it will be -- it's generally speculated significant come November.

SYLVESTER: That is indeed correct, Lou. And a lot is going to depend on how this all plays out in the Senate, and when it goes into conference committee. But you can bet voters will be watching this debate very closely as well -- Lou.
    "POWER TENDS TO CORRUPT AND ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY." Sir John Dalberg-Acton