Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

ROMNEY ON ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (AMNESTY)

The Lowell Sun

WASHINGTON -- Gov. Mitt Romney expressed support yesterday for an immigration program that places large numbers of illegal residents on the path toward citizenship, but criticized any form of "amnesty."

Speaking to reporters after a speech on education reform, Romney also invited outgoing White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card, a Holbrook native, to challenge Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., in midterm elections this fall.

Romney's comments came as the Senate began heated debate on immigration reform. On Monday, the Judiciary Committee approved a controversial bill sponsored by Kennedy and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., that would make 11 million illegal immigrants eligible for citizenship.

"I don't believe in amnesty," Romney said, using a word voiced by Republicans to describe widespread forgiveness of illegal residency in the United States.

But at the same time, Romney said illegal immigrants should have a chance to obtain citizenship.

"I don't believe in rounding up 11 million people and forcing them at gunpoint from our country," Romney said. "With these 11 million people, let's have them registered, know who they are. Those who've been arrested or convicted of crimes shouldn't be here; those that are here paying taxes and not taking government benefits should begin a process towards application for citizenship, as they would from their home country."

The McCain-Kennedy bill would legalize the 11 million immigrants if they demonstrate they've paid taxes, can speak English, pass a civics test, pay $2,000 in fees and aren't criminals.

Massachusetts saw its illegal immigrant population increase from an estimated 55,000 people in 1990 to 200,000 people in 2004, according to a recent report by the Pew Hispanic Center

-- EVAN LEHMANN.

(I do not have a link for this article)

Banned
    Gee, why am I not surprised that Romney supports AMNESTY? As a Republican front-runner for the '08 Presidential race, we know he's received the blessing of the Council on Foreign Relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate
    Gee, why am I not surprised that Romney supports AMNESTY? As a Republican front-runner for the '08 Presidential race, we know he's received the blessing of the Council on Foreign Relations.
    Yes, but his "I'm against amnesty" may be fooling some. Suddenly its the popular thing to say "we need to secure our borders", or "I'm against amnesty", but dig a little deeper and the truth is revealed.

Just like his response to the recent finding that illegals had been doing his gardening for the last DECADE. They spoke no english and Romney greeted them in spanish. Somehow, I can't see a Duncan Hunter type, a Presidential candidate running on a platform that is suppose to be anti-illegal, allowing this to happen or continue happening without checking it out. Romney admitted to 'knowing' the owner of the company, who he described, of course, as a hardworking LEGAL, but never suspected and didn't bother to check out the people that were on his property? I don't think so. He didn't bother because he's PRO-AMNESTY. And those hardworking, non-english speaking people were just doing the jobs we lazy Americans won't.

Exactly. What a disappointment he is.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anniealone
    Exactly. What a disappointment he is.
    In order for someone to be a disappointment, there has to have first been some promise of value. I have never believed Romney to be anything but a self-serving political animal am not the least bit surprised at his RINO policies.

Another Mike Pence type sellout. "Yeah I voted against amnesty before I actually voted for it". Typical John Kerry/Jorge Bush type double talk. No wonder Romney was rumored to be teaming up with Jeb Bush. Total sellout.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: ROMNEY ON ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION (AMNESTY)

Quote Originally Posted by mrazmerized
    (I do not have a link for this article)
    There's a mention of it here:
    http://link.toolbot.com/pbwiki.com/26075

I can't seem to find it anywhere else on the net.

In the past I kinda liked Romney, but I'm going to have to watch him very closely. Today I heard he's Jeb Bush's candidate. Hmmmm????
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...

MW
    "I don't believe in amnesty," Romney said, using a word voiced by Republicans to describe widespread forgiveness of illegal residency in the United States.

But at the same time, Romney said illegal immigrants should have a chance to obtain citizenship.

"I don't believe in rounding up 11 million people and forcing them at gunpoint from our country," Romney said. "With these 11 million people, let's have them registered, know who they are. Those who've been arrested or convicted of crimes shouldn't be here; those that are here paying taxes and not taking government benefits should begin a process towards application for citizenship, as they would from their home country."
    Does this man have any idea of how ridiculous his comments sound, especially to those of us whom consider ourselves informed on the topic of illegal immigration? What a numb-nut!

"I don't believe in rounding up 11 million people and forcing them at gunpoint from our country," Romney said.
    Nice one Romney. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've yet to hear one person mention anything about forcing people out by gunpoint. Attrition through enforcement and employer sanctions is what I believe most anti-illegal immigrant advocates support.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Great! Another two faced politician saying he does not believe in Amnesty while promoting amnesty.

To hell with Romney. He is another liar for the political trash heap!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast