Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ron Paul on Immigration

January 03, 2008
    Ron Paul on Immigration
    By John Stossel

I'd heard that that presidential candidate Ron Paul was "hard line" on immigration and "to the right" of the Republican field. But that's not exactly what he revealed during my interview with him. Here's Part 4 of my edited interview.

You want a 700-mile fence between our border and Mexico?

Ron Paul: Not really. There was an immigration bill that had a fence (requirement) in it, but it was to attack amnesty. I don't like amnesty. So I voted for that bill, but I didn't like the fence. I don't think the fence can solve a problem. I find it rather offensive.

What should we do?

Get rid of the subsidies. (If) you subsidize illegal immigration, you get more of it.

Get rid of welfare?

All the welfare benefits.

Including government-paid health care?

Absolutely.

So what should a hospital do if an illegal immigrant shows up for treatment?

Be charitable, but have no mandates by the federal government. Catholics want to help a lot of these people. I'm not for (punishing anyone who wants to help voluntarily). But we wouldn't have so many (illegals) if they didn't know they were going to get amnesty. If you promise them amnesty -- medical care, free education, automatic citizenship, food stamps, and Social Security -- you're going to get more (illegal immigration). I think we could be much more generous with our immigration. (But) we don't need to reward people who get in front of the line.

We should be more generous in our legal immigration policy?

(Without the welfare state) it would be a non-issue. Today it's a big issue because people are hurting; they can't keep up with paying their bills. They see (illegals) using food stamps, in the emergency rooms, demanding bilingual education in the schools. The costs are going up.

So get rid of all those programs? Every one?

I would. Get rid of the incentives and work toward a real solution.

You oppose "birthright citizenship," which says that the child of an illegal immigrant who gives birth in America is a U.S. citizen. But that right to citizenship is in the Constitution, isn't it?

There's confusion on interpreting the 14th Amendment. It says that if you're under the jurisdiction of the United States, you have a right to citizenship if you're born here. But it's a little bit confusing. If you step over the border and you're illegal, are you really under the jurisdiction? There's a question on that, and I want to clarify it. I don't like to reward people who sneak in for that purpose and get on the welfare rolls.

What about the millions who are here illegally already? Should we deport them?

I don't think anybody could find them. Nobody even knows how many there are. But if they come for welfare benefits and you know they're illegal, (you should) deny them the benefits. If they commit a crime, send them home. Today in many cities, you're not even allowed to ask them their immigrant status. Policemen tell me they can't ask that question to find out if they're illegal. It's politically incorrect to ask a person his immigrant status because that would (be like saying), "If you've broken the law, maybe you ought to go home."

How do you see immigration in the future?

If we have a healthy economy, we would probably have a lot of people coming back and forth working in this country. There was a time when (immigrants did that). That was when they didn't expect to get easy amnesty.

www.realclearpolitics.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Is that supposed to be pro or con?

I agree with what he said. I don't think it is his entire immigration stance - he simply answered the questions asked.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Hmmm.........definitely sounds like favors open borders to me.

I don't think the fence can solve a problem. I find it rather offensive.
    Absolutely know one has said, or believes, the fence will solve the problem by itself. Of course his position on the fence makes sense when you read this:

If we have a healthy economy, we would probably have a lot of people coming back and forth working in this country. There was a time when (immigrants did that). That was when they didn't expect to get easy amnesty.

He even had the audacity to refer to illegal immigrants as immigrants.

The man is definitely down plays illegal immigration. I don't care what anyone says, the man seems to favor open borders. Does anyone else get that out of the interview or am I the only one?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    So get rid of all those programs? Every one?
    I would. Get rid of the incentives and work toward a real solution.
    So his plan is to cut not only the criminal immigrants out of any welfare programs but Needy Americans too.

Ron Paul: Not really. There was an immigration bill that had a fence (requirement) in it, but it was to attack amnesty. I don't like amnesty. So I voted for that bill, but I didn't like the fence. I don't think the fence can solve a problem. I find it rather offensive.
    I find Pauls vote on the amber alert system very offensive !!!

I don't think anybody could find them. Nobody even knows how many there are. But if they come for welfare benefits and you know they're illegal, (you should) deny them the benefits. If they commit a crime, send them home.
    Applying with fake papers is a crime too Mr. Paul !!!

How do you see immigration in the future?

Ron Paul really doesn’t have a clue !!!

MW said:

The man is definitely down plays illegal immigration. I don't care what anyone says, the man seems to favor open borders. Does anyone else get that out of the interview or am I the only one?
    Only you MW and Hannity (I mean GREGAGREATAMERICAN) can come to that conclusion.

If you hate RP so much, just ignore treads with his name in. You don't see anyone else tearing your candidates down.

MW said:

The context of using the word immigrants was correct in that sentence, he did say they would come back and forth, not stay here and be illegal aliens.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    MW said:

Only you MW and Hannity (I mean GREGAGREATAMERICAN can come to that conclusion.

If you hate RP so much, just ignore treads with his name in. You don't see anyone else tearing your candidates down.
    Na not at all here or in say just ahhh
    like a whole state !!! If I even had a canidate
    Oh and I dont hate
    But Ill take your reply as if it was an opinion on Ron Paul and Immigration...
    Hate is just bad all bad like murder I dont hate !!!

Banned
    oh and thanks, Im way better looking then Hannity

I'm sure you are better looking GREGAGREATAMERICAN, it wouldn't take much, but he's a GREATAMERICAN also like yourself.

You know if Ron Paul, or any candidate is wrong about something in anyone's opinion - then certainly say so. To spin something or pretend it says something it doesn't is just wrong. That won't solve our problems in this country.

For far too many years, we have voted and run our country, based on spin, buzz words, and sound bites. That's suicidal, and we should be able to see that by now.

Yes, Darlene was right. If they are allowed under the law to come and work - they are legal immigrants - not illegals. Also, they come and go - by law - that makes them legal immigrants or temporary workers.

We have two chances of fixing illegal immigration - Paul and Hunter. It is one thing to discuss the pros and cons on each - quite another to spin, nitpik. That is going to get us Romney - or Obama - maybe - Huckabee.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast