Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

RUBEN NAVARRETTE: What's the definition of a thankless job?

And the idiot speaks again

What's the definition of a thankless job? Immigration enforcement
    By RUBEN NAVARRETTE
    November, 8, 2010

If you think you have a thankless job, just be thankful you're not in John Morton's shoes.

Morton is the director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. It is his responsibility to round up and deport as many illegal immigrants as possible.

Much to the chagrin of immigrant activists, Morton is good at what he does. From October 2009 through last month, ICE deported 392,000 illegal immigrants - a record number. More than half had been convicted of criminal offenses. ICE has also gone after employers who hire illegal immigrants and imposed more than $50 million in fines during the last two years.

You would think that the close-the-border crowd would be pleased as punch. They're not. From what you hear on cable TV and right-wing talk radio, they give Morton a failing grade.

Why? Because there are still illegal immigrants in the United States and more on the way. That's true. And the sun still comes up in the morning. There are some things you just can't stop.

Such as a father who is trying to feed his family by landing a job in the United States that pays him 10 times what he could make in Mexico and who is willing to take the risk of illegally crossing the border. If you do stop him the first time, he'll try again.

Yet, some on the far right are actually suggesting that the head of ICE is - as incredible as it sounds - soft on illegal immigration. That drumbeat got louder a few months ago when Morton issued a memorandum urging immigration officials to cancel the deportations of thousands of illegal immigrants who had active applications in the system to become legal residents, such as individuals married to U.S. citizens.

During his recent visit to San Diego, I asked Morton about the change in policy and the thinking behind it.

"When you start removing people who have been here for 25 years," he said, "it isn't so simple. There is a whole life wrapped up in this person, much of it lawful and positive like the fact that they raised kids here. This is someone's parent, grandparent. We have to ask, 'Is removal the only remedy?'

"No. And it might not be the best remedy in all cases. As a career prosecutor, I believe in enforcing the law. But I also believe there are multiple ways of doing that, and that it has to be done with the maximum amount of discretion and common sense."

Still, the change in policy angered some rank-in-file agents, and the union representing them issued a vote of "no confidence" in Morton's leadership,

I wondered what Morton made of the criticism he's getting.

"Some people have positions that are so hardened," he said, "that the facts don't move them."

Here's a fact: Americans are still addicted to illegal immigrant labor - particularly around the house. And still, we hear that the only reason we have illegal immigrants in the United States is because the federal government isn't enforcing the law.

Morton thinks that argument oversimplifies the problem.

"Enforcement alone isn't a long-term solution," he said. "It's part of the solution, but not the whole thing. What we need is for serious people in this government to grapple with this issue and find a lasting solution."

Serious people, huh? That does not include Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, who will likely head a House Judiciary subcommittee on immigration now that Republicans have regained the majority in the U.S. House. In a recent interview with Politico, King pledged to interrogate Morton - along with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Attorney General Eric Holder, and Border Patrol Chief Michael Fisher - because, he claims, these officials are "not simply doing their job."

It's time to pull that broken record and tell the truth - that ICE can't make a dent in the problem because every time it deports one illegal immigrant, the American people hire three more. And the situation only gets worse. It's the simple arithmetic of the immigration debate.

Although it must be maddening for Morton to be blamed for a problem he didn't create, he has the right attitude.

"I don't know what else I can do," he said, "other than keep doing my job."

Keep doing your job, sir. We need you just where you are. And we need more like you.

Ruben@RubenNavarrette.com

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/opini ... 02443.html

tracking the usurper-in-chief and on his trail

RUBEN NAVARRETTE: What's the definition of thankless job

Quote Originally Posted by RUBEN NAVARRETTE
    It's time to pull that broken record and tell the truth - that ICE can't make a dent in the problem because every time it deports one illegal immigrant, the American people hire three more.

Speak for yourself, you criminal. We don't hire; we observe and report.

If ICE doesn't deport those whom CBP arrests, then whoever runs ICE is the problem, not the American people.

Satan's apologists and the devil's advocates regularly drum up sympathy for evildoers, criminals, frauds, and other workers of iniquity.
    One man's terrorist is another man's undocumented worker.

Unless we enforce laws against illegal aliens today,
    tomorrow WE may wake up as illegals.

The last word: illegal aliens are ILLEGAL!

There are some things you just can't stop.

Such as a father who is trying to feed his family by landing a job in the United States that pays him 10 times what he could make in Mexico and who is willing to take the risk of illegally crossing the border. If you do stop him the first time, he'll try again
    Such as drug cartels that are making life hell for the citizens living in border states and beyond.

Such as child rapists who prey on our innocent young girls.

Such as macho drunk drivers who kill our citizens on our own roads.

Such as MS13 and Latin Kings who terrorize our cities and towns.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well let's start by saying if they wernt here nobody could hire them in the first place! Also if all these bisnusses that went down to mexico after nafta was passed actually paid a decent wage they could make something compareable to the wages here and people wouldn't have to come here to make a living it would also have the effect of raising their wages for the rest of there ecomony but instead they just take advantage of the cheap labor and the price for their comody stays the same for us the consumer. It seems like people are too eager to blame the ameican public for this and in reality the vast majority of the public want there to be more boarder security and the people breaking the law punished by sending them home. Instead all we get is excusses to why it can't and how it shouldn't. Be done. If you are in this country illegaly you shouldn't have a voice or access to social benifits you should live in fear that you will be found and deported just like other crimanals on the run. I think is very important to educate people from other countries that sneaking over here is not the path to citizenship in this country and to achive citizenship here is something you have to do through the proper channels! If I wanted to become a citizen of anyother country I wouldn't sneek over there and expect to have all the rights and benifits offer to their citizens

It should read: "Obama protecting foreign criminals, forces Americans to live in boxes and eat cake".
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Banned
    I thought Ruben got fired?

It appears he is still spewing his tripe

What an un American POS

I just hope King and others pull nappy and the rest of her gaggle of open borders morons up there and really threaten the daylights out of them

No illegal should ever be released for any reason , Deportation is the
    prescribed punishment , not catch and release

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Justthefacts
    I thought Ruben got fired?

It appears he is still spewing his tripe

What an un American POS

I just hope King and others pull nappy and the rest of her gaggle of open borders morons up there and really threaten the daylights out of them

No illegal should ever be released for any reason , Deportation is the
    prescribed punishment , not catch and release
    He was fired from The San Diego Union... Now he pops up every once and a while writing op-eds In "off-beat" publications.... He Is a real piece of work.... Him and Luis (garbage) Guiterrez should get married In Mexico.... TS

Here's a fact: Americans are still addicted to illegal immigrant labor - particularly around the house. And still, we hear that the only reason we have illegal immigrants in the United States is because the federal government isn't enforcing the law.
    ========================

not all americans are addicted to this.
    Alot of american companies are addicted to the cheap labor. but that doesnt mean that all of america does it or thinks its right.

Here's a fact:
    Americans are still addicted to illegal immigrant labor - particularly around the house. And still, we hear that the only reason we have illegal immigrants in the United States is because the federal government isn't enforcing the law.
    Here is a another fact: Americans hiring illegal aliens is illegal and these people are breaking the law, be it the home owner or Businesses...Maybe if John Morton, and Janet do their job and arrest and fine these people the word would get out and it would stop.

No one can tell me they have been serious when it comes to employers!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

RUBEN NAVARRETTE wrote:
    It's time to pull that broken record and tell the truth - that ICE can't make a dent in the problem because every time it deports one illegal immigrant, the American people hire three more.
    No Ruben, I had work in the Construction field. Everyday at leat 3 Latino's stopped by asking to work. Were they illegal or legal? I had no way of knowing, so as a law abiding American I hired none.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast