Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Ruling expected tomorrow on illegal immigration ordinance

Breaking News:

Barletta: Ruling expected tomorrow on illegal immigration ordinance 5:09 p.m.

By Wade Malcolm, Staff Writer
    07/25/2007

Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta is cutting a family vacation short and planning a press conference in anticipation that a federal judge will issue a ruling on Hazleton's illegal immigration ordinance tomorrow afternoon, the mayor said.

"We've waited a long time," said Barletta, who plans to speak at 4 p.m. in the Hazleton City Council chambers. "I'm anxious to hear the decision and move on one way or the other."

Hazleton has been at the heart of a national debate ever since July 2006 when it passed an ordinance punishing landlords and employers for doing business with illegal immigrants. A separate ordinance makes English the official language. Hundreds of municipalities around the country - and at least two dozen in Northeastern Pennsylvania - passed or considered copycat laws.

The American Civil Liberties Union and several other advocacy groups sued the city in federal court on behalf of several residents and community groups, arguing the ordinance infringed on the civil rights of Latinos and the federal government's sole authority to regulate immigration. A nine-day trial was held in March at the William J. Nealon Federal Building in Scranton.

Tomorrow's anticipated decision could set the legal precedent for whether local governments can pass laws dealing with illegal immigration.

Read more in tomorrow's Citizens' Voice.
    ©The Citizens Voice 2007

http://www.citizensvoice.com/site/news. ... 5154&rfi=6
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Any head's up or guesses if this will be broadcast live somewhere. Reminds me of when I was sitting in our council chambers listening to the 287g vote... such an important day tomorrow. If it isn't good didn't Mayor Barletta say they would appeal?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

DK IF THERE WILL BE LIVE BROADCAST. BUT THE ARTICLE DOES SAY AT THE END THAT THEY WILL GIVE AN UPDATE TOMORROW. AND I AM SURE THERE WILL BE OTHER NEWS ARTICLES TO CHOOSE FROM, SINCE THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT