Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

S.C.: Immigration bill debated

Immigration bill debatedBY NOELLE PHILLIPS
    Thursday, October 28, 2010

Columbia -- Opponents to an Arizona-style immigration bill for South Carolina said it would be too expensive, would encourage racial profiling and would be divisive to the state's 4 million residents.

Those points were made Wednesday night before an S.C. Senate subcommittee that is holding statewide hearings about S.C.'s immigration laws. The committee, led by state Sen. Larry Martin, R-Pickens, is considering creating a law that would allow state law enforcement officers to enforce federal immigration laws.

Of the 22 people who addressed the subcommittee, 15 asked the senators to drop the idea.

"This law is advocating for the persecution of people because of the color of their skin," said Julie Smithwick-Leone, a West Columbia resident. "That's not a community I would be proud to live in."

Several people who opposed the idea brought up the state's budget crisis and warned legislators that the state would not be able to pay for new jails, law enforcement training and other expenses the law would create.

"Our budget is busted," said Barbara Coleman of Columbia. "We cannot fund some of the mandates we already have in our immigration law."

Two years ago the General Assembly passed an immigration bill that had dozens of provisions, including a measure that would allow local law enforcement agencies to sign a cooperative agreement with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

However, none have asked the State Law Enforcement Division to facilitate an agreement, SLED Chief Reggie Lloyd has previously said.

Senate President Pro Tem Glenn McConnell, R-Charleston, a proponent of an Arizona-style bill, said the state must take steps to stop the tide of illegal immigrants because the federal government has failed to do so.

An Arizona-style bill was addressed by an immigration subcommittee during the last legislative session, but the session ended before a vote could be taken. A new bill would have to be filed for the 2011 session, and pre-filing begins in December.

Those who support the proposal blame illegal immigrants for economic problems and crime.

"This is not a racial issue as much as it is a national security issue," said Kendra Linkowski. "We don't know who is in the country."

The polarizing effect of the nation's immigration debate was reflected in the hearing. People on every side of the debate spoke passionately about their views.

Calvin Cowen spoke about an incident where he needed help because he had locked himself out of his car. A nearby woman had a cell phone but did not speak English.

"I really miss the days of when neighbors could help neighbors in America," he said. "My business is hurting. My language and culture are in danger of being lost."

Several speakers said they found stereotypes of illegal immigrants to be offensive. They asked their opponents for compassion.

"I would also like to say undocumented immigrants are not all criminals as other people have stated," said Maria Smoak, who works with immigrant families at St. Peter's Catholic Church in Columbia.

"They are not all here to rape or steal or pillage or do drugs. Our stand is they are all children of God."

After the meeting, Martin said a bill most likely will be filed for the upcoming legislative session.

www.postandcourier.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

GO SOUTH CAROLINA! GO! GO! GO! Enforcing US immigration law is not persecution of illegal aliens. Securing the borders of your state from illegal immigration is not polarizing. Allowing if not requiring state and local police officers to enforce US immigration law is not more costly than funding the education, health care and incarceration of illegal aliens or providing public assistance to those whose jobs they stole.

I hope South Carolina files the bill and passes it with vigor in 2011.

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gotta love the "We can't afford it" argument. I guess it's cheaper to employ illegals while leaving Americans unemployed. That people can even consider not enforcing our immigration laws shows just how far we've gone down the Open Borders, Come And Get It route.
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade