Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

S.C.: Immigration round table: Reform 'at best a stopgap'

Video at the source link.
    ~~

Immigration round table: Reform 'at best a stopgap'
    By Jill Coley
    The Post and Courier
    Tuesday, May 20, 2008
    State legislators, municipal leaders and community advocates mostly agreed that the proposed state immigration reform is a Band-Aid for what is truly a federal issue during a round-table discussion Monday.

The hour-long conversation at The Post and Courier was Webcast live at Charleston.net.

"Until we solve this on a national basis, it's not going to be solved," Sen. Bradley Hutto, D-Orangeburg, said. "So whatever we do is at best a stopgap."

The illegal immigration bill has been bandied between the Senate and House throughout this legislative session. In April, Senate and House members met in conference committee to work out a compromise, but that effort failed.

Last week, the House and Senate hit another deadlock. With only a few weeks left in session, legislators will come to the table again this week in a final attempt to get a bill passed.

The legislation is lengthy and broad, affecting businesses, law enforcement, health care and higher education. Employee verification and employer penalties for hiring illegal immigrants are among the most prominent sticking points in the Legislature.

"We're trying to solve on the state level those things that we can solve on the state level, which is on the employment side," Rep. Wallace Scarborough, R-James Island, said. "It's a federal issue that we're not getting any help on."

On a municipal level, North Charleston Police Chief Jon Zumalt talked about the pressure he felt, although his department cannot enforce federal laws, including immigration violations.

"If I start pressuring people on immigration, which I don't have any latitude on anyway, they'll stop talking to me," Zumalt said. "My objective as police chief is to develop trust in the community."

Zumalt talked about illegal immigration as an almost intractable problem.

In 2007, Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported 279,912 people, he said. On any given day, 30,000 people are in holding cells for immigration, and an estimated 11 million illegal immigrants are in the United States, he said.

North Charleston Councilwoman Rhonda Jerome said that seemingly overnight the Hispanic population in her district jumped to between 4,000 and 5,000 people.

"I do a civic club monthly meeting where the Hispanics come," she said. "They can ask questions, we give them replies."

Among problems discussed were loss of tax dollars, money being sent abroad and the inability of law enforcement to identify illegal immigrants.

But immigrating to the United States legally is difficult, said Diana Salazar, president of the Latino Association of Charleston.

"They go (to the consulate) and they say 'no,' and they don't explain why," she said.

Rep. Chip Limehouse, R-Charleston, was optimistic a bill would be passed in the next few weeks. "Better a Band-Aid than nothing," he said.

Lydia Cotton, a liaison for the Hispanic community in North Charleston, said she doubts the legislation will have any effect.

"My people are tough" she said. "They are going to wait."

www.charleston.net
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

State Senator Brad Hutto (D) can claim whatever he wants. He is in the pocket of the SC Chamber of Commerce. He is also one of the 26 turncoat Sate Senators that I filed legal action against for discrimination because of national origins. He should be getting the paperwork withing a day or so.

But immigrating to the United States legally is difficult, said Diana Salazar, president of the Latino Association of Charleston.

"They go (to the consulate) and they say 'no,' and they don't explain why," she said.
    Then it's in their best interest to ask WHY NOT? Methinks they already know why not and sneak in anyway.

The immigration laws apply to EVERYONE seeking to come here, why would anyone from a hispanic country think they can disregard the laws?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "