Lowcountry Leaders Discuss Illegal Immigration
Monday December 03, 2007 5:30pm
Reporter: Natalie Caula Posted By: Katie Newingham

North Charleston, SC -

Monday leaders talked about immigration's effects on the Lowcountry.

One Charleston County official says illegal aliens committing crimes remain on the street, all because of red tape.

Ninth Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson says she's frustrated.

Wilson says it’s too often when her office notifies federal officials about an illegal immigrant that has committed a crime, and nothing is done.

"The feds are either unwilling or unable because of the volume to deport all of those who we usually feel need deporting," said Wilson.

Wilson says iImmigration and Customs enforcement claim they have to pick and choose who they go after.

That means violent crime offenders rather than those who commit petty crimes like trespassing.

"They won’t go look for them because according to them, they are so inundated," said Wilson.

Wilson says illegal aliens who are victims of crimes are also a problem.

"They are known for carrying cash and often times we see a spike in robberies around pay day," said Wilson.

North Charleston's Mayor, Keith Summey says these "walking ATM's" attract robberies.

North Charleston was criticized for being a "sanctuary city" because of recent comments from Mayor Summey.

"I think some people misunderstood recently when I said "we are there to protect those folks while they are here because I don't care who you are, if you get robbed in the city, it goes down in my statistics and it makes it look bad for the community," said Summey.

A community now inundated with labor workers, many of whom are illegal immigrants.

The League of Women Voters is hosting tonight's forum which will include a round table discussion including solicitor Scarlett Wilson.

http://www.wciv.com/news/stories/1207/477511.html