Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

S.C.: Residents argue for tough bill

Residents argue for tough bill

May 13, 2011

By Yvonne Wenger
    The (Charleston) Post

Linda Rouvet had one message for those who argue that South Carolina should not do more to force illegal immigrants out of the state:

"Don't be so quick to give your country away."

Rouvet of North Charleston was one of a handful of anti-illegal immigration activists from the Lowcountry who came to the capital Thursday to show support for an Arizona-style bill. If passed, law enforcement officers in South Carolina would be required to check the immigration status of people during traffic stops and arrests that they suspect are in the country illegally.

The House Judiciary Constitutional Laws Subcommittee voted 3-2 to send the bill to the full House Judiciary Committee, moving it one step closer to becoming law this year. The Senate voted 34-9 in March to pass the bill.

Rouvet wore a black suit jacket over a white T-shirt that had printed on it "R.I.P." and a picture of her son Rand, 21, who was killed in a 2008 hit-and-run accident by an illegal immigrant without a driver's license.

"Illegal immigration is not a victimless crime," Rouvet told lawmakers.

Peggy Kandies of North Charleston described to lawmakers an attack and attempted rape, she said, an illegal immigrant committed against her last April.

"I don't want it to happen to your wives, your daughters, your mothers," Kandies said. "I want something done about it. I am begging y'all to do something about it."

The subcommittee took nearly two hours of testimony from about a dozen people, the majority of whom opposed the bill. But the lawmakers were not persuaded; they had the votes to pass the bill before the meeting started.

Patricia Ravenhorst and Mike Pinilla of the S.C. Victim Assistance Network offered anecdotes about immigrants, both legal and illegal, who were victimized, and how a trusting relationship between law enforcement and the community could be put in jeopardy by the pending bill.

Michelle Wang, a Chinese immigrant and owner of a string of Asian cuisines restaurants in the Columbia area, described her love for South Carolina and her fear for what the bill could mean for immigrants, foreign students or tourists, as well as the state's economy.

"I feel like I have to come forward," Wang said. "Last night I did not sleep."

Greg Torrales, a Columbia insurance agent and president of the S.C. Hispanic Leadership Council, said South Carolina is home to more Hispanics who are legal residents and citizens than illegal immigrants. The 2010 census showed that the state's population is 5.1 percent Hispanic, or 235,893 people, while the population of illegal immigrants is estimated to be 55,000.

"What does that tell us?" Torrales said.

Torrales, who is Hispanic, described a situation when he felt he was a victim of racial profiling by law enforcement in Greenwood. As he spoke, one audience member whispered, "Where is his birth certificate?"

Barbara Pulicicchio of Mount Pleasant said she was insulted by the suggestion that S.C. law enforcement officers will engage in racial profiling. She worked as a police officer for 10 years.

"Every single police officer is taught, when you stop somebody - it doesn't matter their color, if they're white, green, whatever - you ask for their driver's license. If they don't have it, then you question," Pulicicchio said. "That's not racially profiling. You could be purple. It doesn't matter."

In addition to the immigration status checks during traffic stops and arrests and other provisions, the bill would also allow the state Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation to issue new fines of between $15,000 and $50,000 to businesses that repeatedly have immigration compliance issues.

Also, the Labor Department would be authorized to seek additional documentation to verify a company's workers are in the country legally

www.thesunnews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: S.C.: Residents argue for tough bill

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    Residents argue for tough bill

Greg Torrales, a Columbia insurance agent and president of the S.C. Hispanic Leadership Council, said South Carolina is home to more Hispanics who are legal residents and citizens than illegal immigrants.
    The first thing it should tell him is that South Carolinians are fed up with illegals undercutting them for jobs. The second thing it should tell him is that until Americans can see that their national government is protecting their interests, they'll continue to fight on the state level.

We really need Universal E-Verify right now.
    ************************************************** ******************************************
    Americans first in this magnificent country

American jobs for American workers

Fair trade, not free trade

Quote.........Greg Torrales, a Columbia insurance agent and president of the S.C. Hispanic Leadership Council, said South Carolina is home to more Hispanics who are legal residents and citizens than illegal immigrants. The 2010 census showed that the state's population is 5.1 percent Hispanic, or 235,893 people, while the population of illegal immigrants is estimated to be 55,000.

Torrales, who is Hispanic, described a situation when he felt he was a victim of racial profiling by law enforcement in Greenwood.

Mr. Torrales, you should be mad as hell at the ILLEGAL INVADERS and not the very people trying to get rid of them.
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

The only thing they have to defend themselves against the american people wanting our laws inforced is the race card I have yet to hear any open border advocate aproach this situation with any numbers other than how much az has lost due to the states position. They all scream about raicial profiling. I can only speak for myself and for me I don't care about race if it was a situation where it was white people coming here illegally I would feel the same towards the situation but the constant labels being thrown around makes me question how raicest are they! I live in southren california and I'm a minoriity in my city latinos are at 48% whites are at 26% and I'm fine with that I figure its the cost of living close to a US border. The reality for me is myself and my family are treated with distain by a portion of these people on a daily basis and we work through it I don't have the luxury of a big law firm to run to my defence I can't hardly express my opinion in public for fear of retaliation against my family I've been searching for support a place to stand up for myself and my country I didn't sneak in I was born into this mess and yet I have less opertunities then others. Enough of my whining does anybody know of any groups in socal that stand up for people that aren't latino?

Banned
    Its hispanics legails that fight for illegal hispanics.They are all family i guess.Dont they realize what these people are doing to this country or just dont care.All people want is the laws to be enforced its not that we dont want immigration just want immigrents to go through the proper channels.I have e-mailed congress in SC. exspressing our concearns but havent gotten anything back.