Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

"Sanctuary city" a nasty phrase to GOP

"Sanctuary city" a nasty phrase to GOP
    BY NICOLE GAOUETTE

LOS ANGELES TIMES

November 30, 2007

WASHINGTON - American churches coined the phrase, but among Republican presidential candidates, "sanctuary city" has become a dirty word.

At Wednesday's GOP presidential debate, the issue sparked hard-edged exchanges between two of the leading contenders for the nomination. Mitt Romney accused Rudy Giuliani of running a "sanctuary city" as mayor of New York because of policies that shielded illegal immigrants from being reported to federal authorities. Giuliani disputed that label, and derided the former Massachusetts governor for living in a "sanctuary mansion" where illegal immigrants did contract work.

The spat drew applause and catcalls, reflecting how contentious the issue of illegal immigration has become.

Most of the GOP White House contenders and many conservative activists use the sanctuary term to attack local policies that they believe sanction, and even encourage, illegal immigration. But experts say the phrase means different things in different places. Initially, the idea sprang from humanitarian outreach in the 1980s by churches and immigration support groups that urged U.S. communities to create havens for the victims of civil wars raging in South and Central America.

Most of these cities adopted "don't ask, don't tell" policies, under which city employees, including police officers, were not required to report illegal immigrants. In defending the police aspect of such policies, Giuliani said during the debate: "If we didn't allow illegals to report crimes [without the fear of deportation], a lot of criminals would have gone free."

Others argue that illegal immigrants needed to be protected from criminals who would prey on them without fear they would turn to the police.

Some cities decided not to deny services such as schools or libraries on the basis on immigration status. Others, such as San Francisco and New Haven, Conn., have issued municipal IDs that allow residents, including illegal immigrants, to function within the city.

"There are gradations of different policies, but there's no working definition," said Laureen Laglagaron, a policy analyst at the Migration Policy Institute, a nonpartisan think tank.

An upcoming institute study identified 73 cities, spread across 26 states, as sanctuaries. New York is on the list, for allowing illegal immigrants to send their children to school, use the public health system and report crimes without fear of arrest because of their status. Cambridge, Mass., also made the list.

Giuliani, at the debate, charged that Massachusetts had a half-dozen sanctuary cities Romney had not acted against. Romney disputed that.

At one point, Giuliani sought to take Romney to task for what he said was an undeserved "holier-than-thou attitude" about combating illegal immigration.

Romney interrupted. "I'm sorry, immigration is not holier than thou, Mayor. It's the law."

www.newsday.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Reminds me of a couple of bank robbers who are being questioned about which one went into the vault. They both point at each other and then finally admit they were both in the vault. Kitten and Looney are both guilty of hypocracy and its because they are both global idiot jackasses that have recently flip-flopped on the issue of illegal immigration. Neither can be trusted. They will both say whatever it takes to get elected by the fools that would buy that bridge that spans the Pacific and neither are of presidential caliber. Remember,

DUNCAN CAN!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

When I listened to Suckabee's imbecilic, sanctimonious justification for giving freebies to illegal aliens down in Tysonville I blew my top.

That guy makes me want to put a fist through my television set-if I watched these ridiculous debates, which I don't.

You know what the best argument argument against natural selection is?

MIKE HUCKABEE!

He is about three rungs down the evolutionary ladder for someone who's putatively Homo Sapiens.

John McCain has at least had the honesty to realize how stupid his position on this issue is, but Suckabee is throwing his love for illegals in our face.

IN OUR FACE!

He makes me retch.
    Reporting without fear or favor-American Rattlesnake