Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

SC: Altman defends illegal immigrant proposal on TV

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?news ... tateregion

BY JAMES SCOTT

State Rep. John Graham Altman defended on national television his proposed bill that would allow South Carolina to lock up illegal immigrants.

The Charleston Republican appeared Thursday night on Fox News' "Hannity and Colmes," which pits the viewpoints of liberal Alan Colmes against conservative Sean Hannity on show topics and in interviews with guests.

During his eight-minute appearance, much of which was spent sparring with Colmes, Altman said his intention was to create an environment where illegal immigrants would not want to settle.

Colmes tried to pin Altman down on whether he would advocate locking up children who might be illegal immigrants. Altman said the intention of his bill was not aimed at locking up children but sending a message that illegals aren't welcome in South Carolina.

Altman blamed the U.S. government for not doing more to curb illegal immigration. "The federal government has let us down," he said. "States have to step up."

Fox News contacted Altman after Sunday's story in The Post and Courier about proposed laws being debated in the S.C. General Assembly that would crack down on illegal immigrants.

This year, 21 states introduced more than 80 bills aimed at restricting access of illegal immigrants to health care, education and public services. Other bills tried to empower local law enforcement to make immigration arrests and force service agencies to report illegals to federal authorities.

Altman's proposed bill was one of the toughest introduced in the nation. It calls for creating a felony trespass law, punishable by up to five years in prison, that authorizes the state to seize vehicles, property and assets of illegal immigrants.

Thursday was not the first time South Carolina lawmakers have made national news on the topic of immigration. In May, Upstate Republican Bill Sandifer was a guest on CNN's "Lou Dobbs Tonight" to discuss a bill that would have denied workers' compensation for undocumented workers.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Almost makes me want to move to SC. You got to like this guy.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I saw the show and loved this guy's idea! If the illegals know that they face a jail term of 5 years, this is a huge deterrent to them. Altman plainly said that SC does not want anymore illegals in their state. I wish we had this guy, Altman, here in NC and 49 more just like him, one in every state!
    "My ancestors gave their life for America, the least I can do is fight to preserve the rights they died for"

I loved Representative Altman's proposal. It would be a great start for every state in the nation to follow.
    Colmes is just 'way out there'. No one wants to lock up children. But if someone takes the chance of bringing them here illegally, should face the fact that their children may become institionally held until they can return WHERE THEY CAME FROM.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn