Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Banned

Schwarzenengger needs help

Judge: Calif. Prison Transfers Illegal
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:31 PM EST
    The Associated Press
    By DON THOMPSON

http://broadband.zoomtown.com/news

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A judge Tuesday threw out Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's plan to transfer thousands of inmates to other states to relieve prison overcrowding. Schwarzenegger said he would immediately appeal, saying dangerous convicts might otherwise have to be released early.

The governor invoked emergency powers in October when he ordered the Corrections Department to send thousands of inmates to private prisons in other states. Two employee unions, including the one representing guards, filed lawsuits alleging the order violated state law.

Superior Court Judge Gail Ohanesian agreed with the unions, saying that while prison overcrowding is dangerous, "this is not the type of circumstance generally covered by the Emergency Services Act."

Ohanesian delayed her ruling from taking effect for 10 days to allow the governor time to appeal.

"Today's disappointing ruling is a threat to public safety," Schwarzenegger said in a statement. "I will not release dangerous criminals to relieve overcrowding. The transfer of inmates is imperative to relieve the pressure on our overburdened prison system."

Besides violating the emergency act, Schwarzenegger's move violated a ban in the California Constitution on using private companies for jobs usually performed by state workers, the judge ruled

California's 33 state prisons were designed for roughly 100,000 inmates but now hold more than 174,000, and a federal judge has given the state until June to reduce overcrowding.

Corrections officials had hoped that inmates would volunteer to transfer to other states, but only 460 have done so. Earlier this month, Corrections Secretary James Tilton said forced transfers would be next. He wanted to move up to 5,000 inmates to private prisons in Arizona, Indiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Tennessee.

To fight overcrowding, Schwarzenegger also has asked lawmakers to review sentencing laws and consider an $11 billion prison and jail building program.

MW
    Hey, Arnold, haven't you figured out what's causing those prisons to fill yet?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Schwarzenegger's getting a fight from the Unions. I heard about it on the radio on my way home tonight. The Corrections Officers are griping. One thing about the COs is they LOVE their overtime. And MW's right too! 25% of the prisoners in California prisons are illegal immigrants. I want the ones in there to serve their full sentences because they committed crimes here. But if we start deporting through attrition and with raids there will be less crimes committed by illegal immigrants here in the future and the prison population will ease off.

"Today's disappointing ruling is a threat to public safety," Schwarzenegger said in a statement. "I will not release dangerous criminals to relieve overcrowding.
    Read that for meaning....

"I vill not reelees se peeple sat darive sis ekonome"

"sey verk hard at defeeting se conctitution, end mus bee kept form se bowl of illegible wohkas!"

"it es mye job as fuerherr of se Californkneea ekonome to enseer sat se immeegrent has se neceszary oppertoonete to secede!"
    Title 8,U.S.C.§1324 prohibits alien smuggling,conspiracy,aiding and
    abetting!

Banned
    ThomasMoore
    Now thats funny, I dont care who you are thats funny,

Its also the saddest thing I've every heard