Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Corker: Immigrants must leave before visa
    By LUCAS L. JOHNSON II, Associated Press Writer
    May 25, 2007

NASHVILLE — U.S. Sen. Bob Corker says he supports an amendment to a broad immigration measure that would require illegal immigrants to leave the country before obtaining a visa for permanent residence.
    Corker, R-Tenn., held a teleconference with reporters today to discuss the bill the Senate began considering this week and will return to after a weeklong Memorial Day break.

The measure includes conservative-backed initiatives such as a worker verification program to prevent illegal immigrants from getting jobs and a new point system to prioritize skills and education over family in deciding who can immigrate in the future.

A recent New York Times/CBS News poll shows a large majority of Americans want to change the immigration laws to allow immigrants to gain legal status and support the proposed guest worker program.

Corker said the bill contains some elements that he stressed during his campaign, such as tightening border security. But he said the measure falls short by not requiring all illegal immigrants to return home and come back through legal channels.

"As the bill is now, I cannot support it," Corker said.

He is among several lawmakers supporting an amendment by Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, that would require illegal immigrants to leave the country before they could obtain a Z visa. The bill only requires heads of households seeking a green card for permanent legal residency to return home.

"I feel like that goes against an American value of fairness and equity," Corker said. "I believe the Z-card holder must return home and come back through legal channels."

Details of the amendment are still being worked out. Corker said he’s talked with fellow Tennessee Republican Sen. Lamar Alexander about the measure and that he plans to support it.

"I hope that we will have enough votes to cause this to go forward," Corker said. "This is something that’s essential to me."

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/artic ... 63,00.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Kate,

Love that avatar!!!

Just so these jerks don't think they can trade votes and work it out so all the incumbents vote 'no' but it still passes. This will never be forgotten by the American people, not in 2 years, 4 years or more. So they better not try it. We'll sink the whole party if it passes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12