Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sen. Dodd Reply says we need immigration reform

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting me regarding immigration reform. I appreciate the opportunity to share my views with you about this important subject. As you know, our nation's immigration policy is currently the subject of much debate. Our country is facing an immigration crisis that not only undermines the rule of law but also threatens our national security and has significant implications for our economy and for how we define ourselves as a nation and as a society.

One of the most controversial and challenging aspects of this crisis is how to deal with the presence of an estimated 12 million undocumented aliens in America, with nearly 500,000 crossing the border annually from Mexico. To address this, I believe we need a comprehensive approach that is tough on securing our borders including by increasing the number of border patrol agents; fair to taxpayers in requiring immigrants here illegally to pay back taxes and penalizing employers who hire them; and practical in terms of solving the problem and restoring the rule of law by creating an earned pathway to citizenship that starts at the back of the line and is not amnesty. Immigration reform must protect American workers and their jobs. It is imperative that American workers be given the first opportunity at any job opening, and that employers are not able to displace Americans with lower cost foreign workers. It is also critical that we make sure that our borders are secure and that we are screening all those entering and leaving our country.

Having said that, comprehensive immigration reform also needs to acknowledge the realities associated with the millions of undocumented workers who are currently in the United States, living in the shadows. These workers have broken our laws and need to face penalties but we must also remember that most of them are not hardened criminals and are simply here to earn a better living for their families. Moreover, many of them play an indispensable role in our economy. Studies suggest that undocumented workers enhance our country's economic productivity on the whole. Aside from working jobs that few native-born Americans are taking on, two-thirds of undocumented immigrants have income tax withheld from their paychecks. Undocumented aliens are estimated to contribute $7 billion annually to Social Security through their payroll taxes that goes unclaimed.

This does not mean that their illegal presence should be silently tolerated or that they do not displace jobs in some areas, but the overall net economic benefit of their presence needs to be understood and factored into tackling the problem in a dispassionate and objective manner. Similarly, we must also recognize that it is not feasible to deport 12 million illegal aliens either.

That is why I believe that the provisions of S. 1348, the immigration bill introduced in the Senate in May, and S.1639, the revised immigration bill introduced in June, provided an earned pathway to citizenship that was both important and practical. I do not believe that these bills provide amnesty as neither provide free passes to citizenship to those who have broken our laws by being in the country illegally. Instead, the require undocumented aliens to pay heavy penalties, enroll in the selective service, pay back taxes, and undergo a background check prior to adjusting to a probationary status. Once on probationary status, they must continue to prove that they are maintaining gainful employment, are learning English and undergoing civics training, and continuing to pay taxes. All the while they must remain at the back of the line and wait until the current green card backlog has been cleared. Only then, would they be able to apply for a limited number of green cards through the newly created point system and permanently adjust their status.

I understand that there is serious and legitimate disagreement with respect to how best to deal with this complex immigration problem; however, the degree to which any immigration reform is able to bring these workers out into the open, so that they are subject to our country's laws and requirements, will be a critical measure of its success. A purely enforcement-based approach will not work. Our border patrol chiefs have conveyed this message to me time and again. They have told me that real border security requires Congress to deal with the job magnet that draws people from beyond our borders, and to establish a procedure for them to legally do so.

I further believe that immigration reform must address the issue of family reunification. That is why I introduced an amendment that enables parents of US citizens to more easily unite with their families here in the United States by increasing the number of green cards allocated to them and extending the duration of stay under the newly created parent visitor visa program. Families are the cornerstone of this country and we must ensure that this bill's shortcomings in impeding the family reunification process are remedied.

I am deeply disappointed that on June 28 the Senate voted against the motion to invoke cloture on S. 1639, the Secure Borders, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Reform Act of 2007, and the bill was pulled from the floor. The American people expected this Congress to find a workable and comprehensive solution to resolve the immigration crisis. This bill was far from perfect, especially in terms of the guest worker program and family unification. But it offered us an opportunity to move beyond the status quo and fix some of these problems including by investing billions of dollars in border security and practically dealing with the undocumented population. Moreover, by proceeding with the bill and potentially going to conference with the House, we would have had a further opportunity to address some of its shortcomings. Instead, with the bill's defeat, our nation is less secure, our immigration crisis will only fester and deepen, and we have reverted to a silent form of amnesty by doing absolutely nothing.

I sincerely hope that during the 110th Congress, the Senate will return to the difficult but crucially important issue of immigration reform. If and when we do, I look forward to working towards a reform package that upholds our security, protects American jobs and our economy, and preserves our principles as a tolerant and open society and as a law-abiding nation of immigrants. Please be assured that in doing so I will take into account your sincere and legitimate concerns.

Thank you again for contacting me. If you would like to stay in touch with me on this and other issues of importance, please visit my website at http://dodd.senate.gov and subscribe to receive my regular e mail issue alerts. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can help you in any way.

Sincerely,
    CHRISTOPHER J. DODD
    United States Senator

Disgraceful. Bottom line: Christopher Dodd's fervent support of mass amnesty easily trumps his faux concern for border security and the American working class.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

As we said in May, June and July...HELL NO! No amnesty ever again. The only reform needed is to streamline the current process for LEGAL immigrants. No room or need for illegal aliens. Harsh enforcement for illegal aliens will continue to be needed! For every illegal alien we deport, a legal immigrant can enter.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

U.S. Senator Chris Dodd
    Tel: (202) 224-2823

Hartford, CT 06103
    Tel: (860) 258-6940
    (800) 334-5341 —CT only

http://dodd.senate.gov/index.php?q=node ... at=Opinion

I have gotten lots of empty promise letters from Ed Pearlmutter, stating the he will do whatever he can to enforce laws. In reality he is for the Illegals.
    Work Harder Millions on Welfare Depend on You!

I just gave that tritor a piece of my mind!! Thanks for his e-mail!