Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Senate Panel Approves Immigration Nominee

www.washingtonpost.com

Customs Pick Faces a New Hurdle on Hill

Thursday, October 6, 2005; A07

Julie L. Myers, nominated to be assistant secretary of homeland security in charge of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, is scheduled for a confirmation vote Friday before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

On Tuesday, however, four Judiciary Committee members asked Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) for shared jurisdiction, adding a new hurdle for Myers.

They noted that ICE is the largest investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security and promised to "expeditiously consider" Myers's nomination.

A spokesman for Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), chairman of Judiciary's immigration subcommittee, called the request for a hearing a jurisdictional matter. But another aide said doubt over Myers's qualifications "is something that's on [senators'] radar," in the wake of the ouster of Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael D. Brown.

At a Sept. 25 hearing, several senators questioned Myers, 36, about her management background, and Sen. George V. Voinovich (R-Ohio) told her that her résumé indicated she was not qualified. Voinovich has since offered his support, however.

Myers was chief of staff to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff when Chertoff headed the Justice Department's Criminal Division. Her uncle is Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, who last week stepped down as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. She married Chertoff's current chief of staff, John F. Wood, last month.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I've added this to the homepage. Let me know if you think my "note" is over the top and I'll pull it.

New Title

Bush Immigration Pick Faces Hurdle on Hill because she is COMPLETELY unqualified

...married Chertoff's current chief of staff, John F. Wood, last month.

ALIPAC Note: That's one way to make it to the top!

http://www.alipac.us/article785.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

At a Sept. 25 hearing, several senators questioned Myers, 36, about her management background, and Sen. George V. Voinovich (R-Ohio) told her that her résumé indicated she was not qualified. Voinovich has since offered his support, however.
    See what kind of idiot I have for a Senator. I don't know of one time this one has not been taking in the back room and told they would take his pacifier away if he didn't vote for the nominated.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

California or ground zero of the invasion
    www.washingtonpost.com

Senate Panel Approves Immigration Nominee

By JENNIFER TALHELM
    The Associated Press
    Friday, October 7, 2005; 12:54 PM

WASHINGTON -- A Republican-run Senate committee voted Friday to approve President Bush's nominee to head the Homeland Security Department's immigration agency after dismissing criticism that she lacked management experience.

Concerns were raised about Julie L. Myers in the wake of former Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Michael Brown's resignation. Brown, who left amid widespread criticism over his handling of Hurricane Katrina, was faulted for having little previous emergency management experience.

The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee approved Myers' nomination by 7-2. Should she win Senate approval, she would run the Immigration and Customs Enforcement bureau.

Myers, 36, is a former Treasury official and assistant U.S. attorney.

Sens. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn. and Daniel Akaka, D-Hawaii, were the only "no" votes. Lieberman said he was not convinced that Myers was qualified to run ICE, the federal government's second-largest investigative force.

Republicans said their previous concerns about her lack of experience were relieved after talking to her and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, who previously questioned her qualifications, said Friday, "I think she's got the gear to get the job done."

Myers' nomination is also expected to be considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Republicans said their previous concerns about her lack of experience were relieved after talking to her and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.
    Does this mean that her husband's boss approves of her?

What a suprise. It's always good to see that national security is being taken so seriously by this administration.

I guess we should be gratefull that Bush's mom is too old to be appointed to the Supreme Court, if he should get another chance.

Maybe one of the twins next time?
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, who previously questioned her qualifications, said Friday, "I think she's got the gear to get the job done."
    One can only sit back and wonder WTH that's supposed to mean.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Bush administration and the US Senate = Key Stone Cops gone bad.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn