Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senate PASSES Bill Extending Licenses to Illegal Immigrants

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 101D33.DTL

Senate passes bill extending licenses to illegal immigrants

By DON THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer

Thursday, June 2, 2005

(06-02) 13:41 PDT SACRAMENTO, (AP) --

The latest attempt to provide driver's licenses for illegal immigrants passed the state Senate on Thursday, after proponents tied the measure to the state's compliance with a new federal law intended to deter terrorists.

The bill by Sen. Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, includes provisions that restrict how the licenses can be used and what they would look like. Cedillo said the federal law signed by President Bush last month forced him to accept restrictions he previously rejected.

The measure passed 22-16, sending it to the Assembly.

The federal REAL ID Act requires states to verify that people who apply for a driver's license are in the country legally. But it also gives states a choice of whether to issue "driving only" licenses to illegal immigrants, as long as those licenses are marked by color or design as being different from a regular license. They also must state that the license cannot be used as an official identification card.

"This bill is about public safety. Millions of Californians are in jeopardy every day" from illegal immigrants who lack driver training and insurance, said Sen. Richard Alarcon, D-Van Nuys, whose son was killed by an uninsured driver.

Sen. Tom McClintock, R-Northridge, accused proponents of using the federal law to disguise their attempts to give licenses to illegal immigrants. The federal deadline for adopting regulations isn't until January 2009.

"It is not about public safety ... it's about illegal immigration," said McClintock, who voted against the bill.

He said passing the measure means that "it's the official policy of our state to ignore federal immigration law. ... We are accommodating them in the violation of federal law."

Gov. Gray Davis in 2003 signed a law allowing driver's licenses for nearly 2 million illegal immigrants, a move that angered his opponents and became part of the campaign to recall him less than a year into his second term. When voters replaced Davis with Arnold Schwarzenegger, the new governor promptly persuaded the Legislature to repeal it.

Schwarzenegger promised to work with Cedillo to create a license that didn't compromise security and carried a distinctive mark. But last year he vetoed Cedillo's attempt to create such a license, saying it didn't provide adequate security protections. He has not taken a position on the latest bill.

The state did not distinguish between legal residents and illegal immigrants in granting driver's licenses until January 1994, when a new law required applicants to produce a Social Security number. A recent Field Poll found nearly two-thirds of California residents oppose giving licenses to those who are in the state illegally.

___

On the Net:

Read the bill, SB60, at www.senate.ca.gov
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

AND THE REAL ID IS GOOD FOR WHAT?. I AM LIVID! THOSE OF YOU WHO SUPPORTED IT WERE SUCKERED
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

"This bill is about public safety. Millions of Californians are in jeopardy every day" from illegal immigrants who lack driver training and insurance, said Sen. Richard Alarcon, D-Van Nuys, whose son was killed by an uninsured driver.
    Gee, do you suppose that maybe if they packed the illegals up and sent them home this wouldn't be an issue? Let's hear a great big DUH!!!

When we gonna wake up?

DUH!

Well you know what they can do with their Real ID?

drivers license for illegals

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow

Gee, do you suppose that maybe if they packed the illegals up and sent them home this wouldn't be an issue? Let's hear a great big DUH!!!
    This is supposed to make it safer? A bunch of illegals driving all over the place who cant even read or write english. They probably dont even know what insurance is! This has got to be the most stupid bill that has ever passed in a long time! I wonder where Gil Cedillo is from anyway, because that's not how we do things here.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

How about sending illegal aliens home and then you won't need to worry about them driving on America's Highways??

SuperSize:

DUUUUUUUH.

DUUUUUUUUH.

DUUUUUUUUUH!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The latest attempt to provide driver's licenses for illegal immigrants passed the state Senate on Thursday, after proponents tied the measure to the state's compliance with a new federal law intended to deter terrorists.
    I thought it was to deter illegal immigrants from getting licensees. What gives? Get the Real ID Repealed folks.

All those DUH's warm the cockles of my heart. I am glad we can keep our discussions on such a sophisticated level. I know, I know, I started it!
    When we gonna wake up?

I am so ticked right now, I dont want to have a sophisticated conversation. I am too busy writing up an article about it. We the People have had far too many rights flushed down the toilet in the name of protection. What’s next? Marshall Law?

JP--I KNOW!! Use that English Minor and ROCK!!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast