Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senator Burr is pushing for the Touchback BS!

JUDICIARY

Border Bill Backers Seek Boost In Enforcement Provisions

by Fawn Johnson
    Congress Daily

Senate negotiators of a compromise immigration bill are writing a catchall amendment, sponsored by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., to bolster enforcement provisions of the bill, including a more robust "touchback" requirement for illegal immigrants.

Republicans outside the negotiating team are asking that Graham's amendment, as well as a few others, get a floor vote before a cloture is attempted on the bill. "If they want the bill to have a chance, that's what has to happen," said Sen.

Richard Burr, R-N.C., who said he is willing to vote for the first cloture motion to proceed to the bill to allow the amendment process to begin. Burr left open the possibility he would vote for the second cloture motion, which would ensure a final vote on the bill, if the bill is improved from his perspective by the amendments.

In addition to a new touchback requirement for illegal immigrants, negotiator Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., said the Graham amendment will include jail time for immigrants who enter the country illegally or overstay temporary visas after the measure is enacted. The amendment also will tweak the 200,000 annual cap on the guestworker program to allow more of them into the country by exempting workers who are returning for a second time. If negotiators are able to hammer out a deal on the H-1B program, that language also will be included in the Graham amendment.

Burr said he wants the new touchback provision in Graham's amendment to require all illegal immigrants in the country to return to their home countries before they apply for a "Z" visa.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, is seeking a vote on a similar amendment to require those touchbacks to occur within two years. Burr said Graham's touchback provision would allow illegal workers to have a provisional visa while background checks are being conducted. "I believe the provisional period can be whatever length of time it takes to fully vet all these people that they are who they say they are. Does their employment record check out? Does their law enforcement record check out? It doesn't entitle them to anything except the ability to apply" for a Z visa, he said.

The touchback provision is emerging as a component critical to attracting support from Republicans like Burr who are wary about the legalization provisions in the bill. Negotiators, for their part, are backing away from labeling any amendments as deal-breakers, knowing that opponents will vote for them to kill the bill. If one of the "killer amendments" passes next week, an alternate strategy for supporters would be to allow another deal-breaker from the other party to pass. "If this bill goes down because it isn't this or it isn't that, the greater good of the bill will be lost," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., one of the negotiators.

With a cloture motion approved this afternoon on an energy bill, debate on the immigration bill is virtually assured to be pushed into next week. Senate Judiciary Immigration Subcommittee Chairman Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., said today he now expects the first cloture vote on the immigration bill to occur Tuesday.

Depending on how the amendment process develops, the immigration debate could spill into the weekend before the July Fourth recess. Several Republicans who avidly object to the bill have vowed to use every procedural tactic available to them to stop the bill from moving forward, which could slow the debate, but not foreclose final passage. -- by Fawn Johnson
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Touchback is such a farce. They know Americans want the illegals to leave the country so this way they can leave for a day, come right back and say "I left! And I walked in legal!"

What a frickin CON JOB!

Burr is going for the Con Job!

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    Looks like Burr is providing his excuse for voting "yes" on cloture in advance.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Living proof that the 3 stooges had kids..

Burr, Graham and McCain

* <div>[b]<div>2000 people has visited http://www.dumpgloria.com/ in the last 3 months
    People who believes in God, America, The Bill Of Rights and Limited Government.
    </div>
    </div>

In addition to a new touchback requirement for illegal immigrants, negotiator Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., said the Graham amendment will include jail time for immigrants who enter the country illegally or overstay temporary visas after the measure is enacted.
    Isn't jail time in place now for illegal aliens in our current immigration laws? This is a con-job, as well. Besides, if they secured the borders, as they say they are, why would more illegal aliens be coming in after the legislation takes effect?

The amendment also will tweak the 200,000 annual cap on the guestworker program to allow more of them into the country by exempting workers who are returning for a second time.
    Here we go, they are already nullifying Dorgan's amendment that passed in S. 1348.

Burr said he wants the new touchback provision in Graham's amendment to require all illegal immigrants in the country to return to their home countries before they apply for a "Z" visa.
    We need to make it very clear to the Senators that the Z-visa provision in this legislation is totally unacceptable because it establishes legal standing in America for illegals and puts them on a path to certain citizenship. Because of this one provision alone (not even mentioning the other problems), this bill shall not come to pass as the vast majority of American citizens do not want illegals provided citizenship. Period.

How does Burr's position differ from KB Hutch?

I need some talking points to call tomorrow.

Banned
    Dem4labor, tell Burr to follow the lead of the Senator who drafted the touchback amendment, and vote NO on cloture!

He can try to convince himself that it's not amnesty, but tell that to Americans who will end up footing the bill for the non-amnesty amnesty.....$2.5 TRILLION!!!!!

Not amnesty, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC
    Touchback is such a farce. They know Americans want the illegals to leave the country so this way they can leave for a day, come right back and say "I left! And I walked in legal!"

What a frickin CON JOB!

W
    I don't believe that they even have to leave the country. Just stepping in and out of one of the 40+ Mexican embassies scattered around the US serves the same purpose.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

The illegal alien hotline, 1-800-417-7666 directed me to Burr's
    eastern office. I left a voice mail, but the lady gives out her
    cell number! Wow, she's brave.

I tried to call the 202 DC number & cannot get through. Then
    I called the 800-685-8916 Winston number. Got through &
    gave them my message: why does Burr's position differ from
    KB Hutch's & both support a touchback & if Burr opposes
    amnesty & the Z visa is a dealbreaker, why vote for cloture
    even once?

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd
    Quote Originally Posted by ALIPAC

What a frickin CON JOB!

W
    I don't believe that they even have to leave the country. Just stepping in and out of one of the 40+ Mexican embassies scattered around the US serves the same purpose.
    Scary!

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... sc&start=0
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast