Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senator at center of border clash

Go Senator Sessions! He is one of the few that has had his eyes opened!
    I know there are others that if they had the facts would understand the peril this country faces. At least I hope! It is after all their children and grandchildren that face the same fate as the rest of us. You cannot shield yourself or your family with money. Afterall, it is just paper.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/app ... 40322/1001
    Senator at center of border clash

By Ana Radelat
    Montgomery Advertiser

WASHINGTON -- When it comes to immigration, few people on Capitol Hill are as passionate as Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions.

At the height of the congressional debate over immigration last spring, the Republican from Mobile dominated the Senate floor, arguing against a proposed new guest worker program and for tougher enforcement of immigration laws.

On at least one evening, he made his arguments -- bolstered by charts that aimed to prove the weaknesses of former attempts to reform immigration policies -- to an empty Senate chamber.

"I just believe we should create a lawful system of immigration," said Sessions, a former U.S. attorney.

Sessions lost that fight when the Senate passed the bill he opposed. But he has won several other battles, and he's likely to be at the center of any attempt to push a final immigration bill through both the House and the Senate in the fall.

Session's latest victory was securing $1.8 billion to create a 350-mile border fence along the Rio Grande. The money was included Aug. 2 in a massive defense-spending bill Congress is expected to approve when it returns from its recess in September.

The fence would be built in California, Texas, Arizona or New Mexico -- the states that border Mexico. Its exact location hasn't been determined yet.

"It will be a demonstration that the border is no longer open," Sessions said of the fence, one of his most significant legislative accomplishments.

Sessions said a border fence in San Diego is credited with reducing the numbers of crossings in the area. But critics said San Diego's fence simply forced migrants to cross the Rio Grande elsewhere. A new fence would have the same effect, they said.

"(A new fence) is basically irrelevant," said Doug Rivlin, spokesman for the National Immigration Forum, an immigrant advocacy group. "It won't do anything, but it will raise the cost of smuggling and encourage unsafe crossings."

Sessions said the solution to that is to build more fences, no matter the cost.

On the immigration issue, Sessions has more in common with Republicans in the House than with his colleagues in the Senate. In December, House Republicans won approval of a tough, enforcement-only immigration bill. Senators approved a very different bill in May that would establish a new guest worker program.

Promoted by President Bush, the Senate plan would allow many of the estimated 12 million undocumented workers in the United States a chance to apply for temporary legal status. Some eventually would be allowed to apply for permanent residency, which can lead to citizenship.

"The president has gone overboard on this issue," said Sessions, usually a Bush loyalist.

The House and Senate must reconcile differences between the two bills this fall, a task Sessions and others say is impossible.

"It's not likely that we will pass a comprehensive bill," Sessions said.

Sessions also was the driving force for a state program that allows local law enforcement officials to detain undocumented workers identified during routine police work. The senator wants to extend the program from coast to coast.

In Alabama, 44 state troopers have been specially trained to enforce federal immigration law and another 18 are currently in training. There have been fewer than 200 detentions under the program since it was initiated in October 2003.

Alabama has a relatively small number of illegal migrants. A Pew Hispanic Center study estimated there were 20,000 to 35,000 in a population of more than 4.5 million.

But Sessions has plenty of company in the Alabama delegation when it comes to a hard-line stance on immigration.

Rivlin said it's not unusual that Alabama's lawmakers have taken such a tough line against undocumented workers. He noted that the state's small immigrant community has little political strength and immigrants are more likely to create concern in places not accustomed to them.

"The fewer immigrants a state has, the more likely a lawmaker is anti-immigrant because there are few consequences," Rivlin said.

Michele Waslin, immigration policy director at the National Council of La Raza, the nation's largest Hispanic advocacy group, said Sessions has tapped into the distrust some people have for newcomers.

"I think there's some fear (immigrants) would change the culture and makeup of the state," Waslin said.

Isabel Rubio, executive director of the Birmingham-based Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama, said Sessions has shown more fervor on the immigration issue than another federal lawmaker from Alabama.

"We don't know why he is so intense on immigration," she said. "But politicians are always looking for ways to keep their names in front of their constituents, and this is a hot-button issue."

Sessions' approach is lauded by Jim Zeigler, head of Conservative Christians of Alabama. The Mobile-based group staunchly opposes increases in immigration and is trying to persuade the Huntsville City Council to approve an ordinance that would punish those who hire undocumented workers.

Zeigler doubts the low estimates of illegal immigrants in Alabama, saying he sees "Latino-looking" people in substantial numbers in small towns across the state.

"Our supporters are extremely concerned that there's a huge invasion going on across America's borders, especially the Mexican border," he said. "Some of our supporters want to draft Sessions for president in 2008."

Ira Mehlman, spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a group that seeks tougher immigration laws, also praises Sessions' role.

"He's driven by convictions," Mehlman said.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Re: Senator at center of border clash

Quote Originally Posted by Senator Sessions
    "I just believe we should create a lawful system of immigration"
    Hello McFly, why create something we already have?
    <div>&ldquo;No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.* You win the war, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country&rdquo;</div>
    <div>--General George Patton, Jr.</div>

Senator Sessions is doing a great job, but has anyone heard from Congressman Tancredo lately on immigration? (besides the voter fraud).

I thought this was one of Congressman Tancredo's fights as well.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

marineinspector

Agreed..however at least he is speaking out. There are so many that will not.

Do I trust politicians? Nope. I have taken information to Sessions office and hopefully in a small way maybe it helped to open his eyes to some things. Probably not, but I can hope it helped.

Those of us that care about this country and our childrens future can do no less.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God

Sessions wants a system to work....plain and simple. Inspector, I think he may be referring to the senate bill passed --- he doesn't think the bill is fair to American citizens and has been very adamant about that.

Here's an example of Session's criticism of the senate bill:
    Under current law, they are not eligible for the earned income tax credit. Under current law, they should not be here. They are here illegally. We are now going to pass a law that is going to allow them to stay here, that will give them free medical care, that will give free education for their children, and allow them to utilize all the services this Nation has put together through the taxpayers of America. Then we are prepared, under this bill, to give these illegal aliens, prior to the time they become a citizen when we change the rules, $40 billion of the taxpayers' money. What offsets do we have? What efforts or plans have been made to pay for that over the next 10 years?

http://sessions.senate.gov/pressapp/rec ... id=256234&

He's not a bumbling nerd like McFly....he is a very brilliant man who sticks to his guns.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Quote Originally Posted by krazynbama
    Sessions wants a system to work
    Our current immigration system works just fine. What's not happening is the enforcement of our current laws against illegal immigration.

The bills in the Senate have nothing to do with legal immigration and everything to do with rewarding illegal immigration.

If Sessions wants a system that works, then that system must be enforced. Have him enforce our current system first, before creating another system that he will not advocate enforcing.
    <div>&ldquo;No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.* You win the war, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country&rdquo;</div>

Quote Originally Posted by marineinspector
    The bills in the Senate have nothing to do with legal immigration and everything to do with rewarding illegal immigration.
    That's exactly what Sessions has been trying to bash into the brains of those idiots in DC! I think you should read his criticisms about changing the law....he did not want the law changed, as a matter of fact he wanted it enforced and stricter. before you start referring to him in a derogatory manner such as "McFly"....he's one of the few that deserves a standing ovation.

http://sessions.senate.gov/pressapp/new ... type=false
    "Remember the Alamo!"

Quote Originally Posted by marineinspector
    Sessions wants a system to work
    Our current immigration system works just fine. What's not happening is the enforcement of our current laws against illegal immigration.
    Laws and system are two different things. If our system worked just fine, we wouldn't have these illegals in our country. Our LAWS haven't been enforced, which is the downfall of the whole US immigration system.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

"I think there's some fear (immigrants) would change the culture and makeup of the state," Waslin said.
    Like, duh, yes they do. Come visit CA and see. Geez....

Yes, seems ridiculous we don't just enforce the laws we have that have been ignored all these years. Not sure myself why Congress thinks they have to start over as if no laws are on the books now. Unless they really don't want to have any enforceable laws and so they will ho-hum around until we vote the traitors out of office.

Sessions is great! I will never forget listening to him point out all the things wrong with the senate immigration bill to the senate members. I was aghast! So much common sense and obviously he was one of the few senators who actually read the stupid bill. I trust him, admire him and would jump for joy if he could run for President but don't expect that could happen, he isn't part of the elistist group that runs the whole show.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Laws and system are two different things.
    Sorry, our immigration system and with every immigration system in the world and any new immigration system invented by Congress is and will be based on laws.

If the laws are enforced, the system will work.

Now, if you think I’m wrong, then please, right here and right now, explain your immigration system that is not based on laws and how it will be enforced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast