Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Senator Feinstein Warns of Threat to Border Patrol Agents

http://www.californiachronicle.com/arti ... cleID=7214

Senator Feinstein Warns of Threat to Border Patrol Agents

California Political Desk
    March 24, 2006

Easy-to-buy sniper rifle has mile-long range, could penetrate steel armor.

Washington, DC – U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) is urging Customs and Border Protection to assess the threat to border patrol agents should the easily available .50 caliber sniper rifle find its way into the hands of Mexican drug smugglers or other criminals.

“The threat posed by the easy availability of the .50-caliber sniper rifle could endanger our border patrol agents and hinder our ability to control our borders,” Senator Feinstein wrote in a letter to U.S. Customs and Border Protection Acting Commissioner Deborah Spero. “Given the range and lethality of these weapons, how would the Border Patrol carry out its mission should these weapons be used by criminals, smugglers and human traffickers shooting across the border?”

The following is the text of the letter Senators Feinstein sent to Commissioner Spero:

March 24, 2006

Deborah J. Spero
    Acting Commissioner
    U.S. Customs and Border Protection
    Department of Homeland Security
    1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20229

Dear Commissioner Spero,

I write to bring to your attention a significant issue which I believe could endanger our border patrol agents, and hinder our ability to control our borders: the threat posed by the easy availability of the .50-Caliber Sniper Rifle.

At a recent hearing before the Committee on the Judiciary on the subject of border violence, Mr. Aguilar of the Border Patrol testified about the dangers posed by snipers, inside Mexico, shooting across the border at our officers. I asked him about whether analysis of this threat included the newest, and most dangerous, weapon in the sniper’s arsenal – the .50-caliber sniper gun. His answer left me with the impression that the threat had not been fully considered.

As you may know, the .50-caliber rifle is accurate at extreme long range: a skilled gunman can kill a man at more than a mile. That accuracy is coupled with extreme lethality, because the projectile is moving so fast, and is so heavy, that it can penetrate steel armor. In fact other elements of the Department of Homeland Security, notable the U.S. Coast Guard, now use the rifle because it can shoot through the engine block of fleeing smuggler “fast-boats.”

I have long been concerned about this issue, and have introduced legislation which would, at least in part, address the problem by treating these weapons under the same regulations that govern machine guns, rather than .22-caliber rifles as is presently the law.

I would greatly appreciate if you could advise me, as soon as possible, of the following. Has Customs and Border Protection assessed the threat faced from this weapon, and is so, what is the result of that assessment? What steps have been taken to protect Border Patrol agents from the treat? What steps are planned? Given the range and lethality of these weapons, how would the Border Patrol carry out its mission should these weapons be used by criminals, smugglers and human traffickers shooting across the border?

I look forward to your reply, and working together on this critical issue. I have enclosed some background material for your review.

Yours truly,

Dianne Feinstein
    United States Senator
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

“The threat posed by the easy availability of the .50-caliber sniper rifle could endanger our border patrol agents and hinder our ability to control our borders,” Senator Feinstein wrote in a letter to U.S. Customs and Border Protection Acting Commissioner Deborah Spero. “Given the range and lethality of these weapons, how would the Border Patrol carry out its mission should these weapons be used by criminals, smugglers and human traffickers shooting across the border?”
    This is why we need troops on the border. If we acutally have to fear for our border patrols being fired upon by citizens of another country, then that's a call for troops. U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein should be livid about this. She should be calling for troops now!!

No decent President would ever let this happen, I mean having our BPs fired on and NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT. This is one of the many reasons why we must
    IMPEACH THE PRESIDENT NOW!! HE'S A TRAITOR. HE IS IN VIOLATION OF HIS OATH TO UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND OUR EXISTING IMMIGRATION LAWS

He does not enforce our existing laws in order to satisfy HIS OWN personal agenda. He LIES when he says we cannot do without the working illegal immigrants that are here. He s a YES man when it comes to dealing with big business who want to break our laws. He is not putting the AMERICAN CITIZEN FIRST. HE HAS ACCUSED GOOD CITIZENS of this country for being 'Vigilantes' when all they tried to do was report on illegal crossings. HE IS NOT FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. What about our immunizations process? All of those people coming in with no immunizations? IMPEACH HIM NOW!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am wondering if this dim witted dame realizes those rifles cannot shoot through say a 15 foot tall three foot wide rebarb re-enforced solid concrete wall.
    Keep the spirit of a child alive in your heart, and you can still spy the shadow of a unicorn when walking through the woods.