Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Senators urge Obama to stop deporting students

Wednesday, April 21, 2010
    Senators urge Obama to stop deporting students
    By Stephen Dinan

Two top senators on Wednesday told the Obama administration to stop deporting illegal immigrant students, saying they might soon be given legal status by Congress so deporting them now is unfair.

The call, by Sens. Richard J. Durbin, Illinois Democrat, and Richard G. Lugar, Indiana Republican, provides a test for how far the administration is willing to go unilaterally in halting deportations of illegal immigrations. As Congress gears up for debate over whether to overhaul the nation's immigration laws, immigrant-rights groups said they are closely watching to see how President Obama responds.

Mr. Durbin and Mr. Lugar asked Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to use what amounts to prosecutorial discretion and grant "deferred action" to illegal immigrant students who would meet the criteria of a bill, known as the Dream Act, the two men have written to grant them eventual legal status.

"Though they are technically out of status, Dream Act students should not be removed from the United States," the senators wrote.

The senators said not many illegal immigrant students are actually placed in deportation proceedings, but said the ad hoc nature of the decisions begs for a broader policy approach.

A Homeland Security spokesman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

But the call does raise questions about how much authority the administration could exercise to stop deporting most of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants altogether if Congress is not able to pass a bill this year to legalize them.

Immigrant-rights groups said the letter increases pressure on Mr. Obama to take action on his own. The groups also said it shows that bipartisan cooperation can be achieved on the sensitive issue of immigration, calling it an encouraging sign for the chances of a broader legalization bill this year.

Mr. Lugar, though, told The Washington Times last month he has told Democrats he is not going to be working with them on such a broad bill this year, and Sen. Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina Republican who has been working on legislation, has sounded less optimistic in recent weeks.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -students/
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sens. Richard J. Durbin
    How did I know that name would be there? Arghhh. Makes me want to move out of Illinois.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by ReggieMay
    Sens. Richard J. Durbin
    How did I know that name would be there? Arghhh. Makes me want to move out of Illinois.
    you can always move to iowa and reside in the district of steve king

Don't move> Fight to change. That is what we tell illegalas.
    Fight to change your own country. I wish they would fight to change their country instead of trying to change ours.

call their offices and voice your opinion

But the call does raise questions about how much authority the administration could exercise to stop deporting most of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants altogether if Congress is not able to pass a bill this year to legalize them.
    The only authority you have is to do your job 'which is' to arrest and deport any and all illegal aliens you run into, other wise you should be removed from duty due to lack of interest or incompetence to do you job!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Sen. Lugar? I knew we would be battling turncoats. He may be thinking it would just be a few million students. NOT while family reunification policies are in place.
    "Men of low degree are vanity, Men of high degree are a lie. " David
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I believe Lugar has been a long time supporter of the Dream Act amnesty -- so this is no real surprise.

But I do hope he sticks to his commitment to at least resist work on any broader "comprehensive" mass amnesty bill this year.

these dreamact wannabe american citizens are here illegally and the only thing they are entitled to is a quick deportation, I enjoy reading in a certain dreact website how desperate they are!! LOL
    Many are already planning on leaving a few more years of NO AMNESTY and many will self deport!

Way to go Arizona!! It would not surprise me if there are many hispanic law enforcement officials there who are fed up with illegals!

staffer said Lugar has been in office 33 years.
    i came back with " thats a bit too long in my opinion"
    staffer said nohting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast