Sheriff Joe: Woman Hid Mexican ID In Enchilada

Detectives Arrest 5 Women During Raid

POSTED: 6:31 am MST July 27, 2010
UPDATED: 12:35 pm MST July 27, 2010

PHOENIX -- Maricopa County Sheriff's detectives arrested five women after serving a search warrant at a business near 19th Street and the University of Phoenix.

"When we went in there one of the ladies was hiding her Mexican ID in her enchilada to try and conceal the identification," Sheriff Joe Arpaio said.

Deputies said three of the women are suspected of identity theft and fraud. A fourth woman was arrested on an outstanding warrant, a fifth was turned over to Immigration and Customs Enforcement for being in the country illegally, deputies said.

Detectives executed the warrant at Valley View Building Services and said they were originally after 25 people in connection with identity theft and fraud.

"We completely support their decision to take those people away that have stolen identity, that have committed a crime. Absolutely they need to come and get those people," business owner Joel Votaw said.

According to the sheriff's office, a three-month investigation revealed the company had furnished at least one employee who was working on the Fort Huachuca military base in Sierra Vista and determined to be in the United States illegally.

Votaw told CBS 5, "The accusation that we knowingly put illegal people on base I find to be offensive."

Votaw said not only did that employee produce what appeared to be a valid driver's license, he said all of employees were verified through E-verify.

"I personally am not aware of something legally that we can do past E-verify, if there is something we can do past E-verify, I would love to know what it is," Votaw said.

Stay with KPHO.com and CBS 5 News for continuing coverage.

http://www.kpho.com/news/24406243/detail.html